A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

Hugh2
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras, Cape Town, Mokuleia
Style: allsorts
Gear: Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 7 and 9, Cabrinha Vector 12, Best Bularoo 16m
Long Ocean 136 and 140, Cyclone 150, Cape Doctor "hybrid", Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0"
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: clearwater hydrofoil kit $125

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:28 am

I'm very interested in this as a project, but the front wing looks very flat and therefore unstable. I've enjoyed learning on a friend's Slingshot Hoverglide with graduated masts, and now am comfortable with riding the 36" mast, so need to get my own foil. Spending over $1000 for foil and board seems a lot unless I can find a used Hoverglide (any leads?). I'm imagining putting this foil on the bottom of my old Naish Global directional, but if it is crazy unstable I'm not going to be a happy camper. I'm too old for that.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1987
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:39 am

wil wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:52 am
I went out in more than chest height water but struck a sand bank when the back of the board dropped down. the back wing did not survive.
As posted MANY times :!:
RULE no 1 when KBHFing NEVER bottom out! :nono:
Both for you and your KBHFs health as noted above! :D
Chest deep is not deep enough get out at least where you can not touch bottom, and then some!
By the way, for ANY wood core build it is SUPER important to get entire assembly more than 100% WATERPROOF as any water can and will find its way inside and start to cause damage even if you can not see it! :idea:
And as far as mechanical structural areas of concern the STRUT to fuse and to most critical, board, must be strong for load bearing!
And carbon kicks F glass ass and far less itchy to sand!
R H

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby socommk23 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:19 pm

Made a Clearwater foil and used a combination of fibre glass and carbon. It's taken a few hits on the stoney ground and still going strong.

Return to “Hydrofoil”