Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Monteynard Beach - Lake
Style: kitefoil hydrofoil
Gear: Kitefoil Alpinefoil full carbon , full removable
Brand Affiliation: AlpineFoil

Re: Alpinefoil 5.0 Access V2 Kitefoil

Postby damchab » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:06 am

Alpinefoil 5.0 Access V2 Review and feed back of a Californian rider just purchase the lastet Alpinefoil Kitefoil Access V2 last week

this rider was having before a full carbon foil :

Hi Damien want to say thank you for getting the foil to me,actually received yesterday and took it out for first test today in very nice foil conditions here in calif.I was pretty impressed with your alum foil,I used first time the wave wing very nice and similar to my ...... CF foil that I have been riding for 2 yrs.I adapted very quickly to it as I have only ridden CF foils before and was thinking it would be not quite up to performance level of a CF foil but I was pleasantly surprised at the performance of your foil and I am a pretty seasoned foiler.

Doug

damchab
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Monteynard Beach - Lake
Style: kitefoil hydrofoil
Gear: Kitefoil Alpinefoil full carbon , full removable
Brand Affiliation: AlpineFoil

Postby damchab » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:25 am

An other review from spain this time, kevin just receive his foil and sent us this :

Damien

A quick thanks. Got the bird yesterday and my first session was AMAZING. I've ridden several boards, S...., M..... etc and my first session was really stable and I was foiling for hundreds of metres. I imagine you will get a load more orders from guys at my beach.

I should have ordered the protection bag for mast and fuselage. I'll put an order in tomorrow.

Second question. Which rail savers do you recommend?

Cheers

RightClyde
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Castelldefels, Spain
Style: Enthusiastic freestyle, strapless surf
Gear: Ozone Reo, Enduros's and Zephyr
Brand Affiliation: None

Alpinefoil 5.0 Access V2 Kitefoil review

Postby RightClyde » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:02 pm

Background
Been kiting regularly since 2004. Enthusiastic, if not hugely talented, freestyle, strapless waves. Guys on beach have been foiling for 2 years or so and this year decided to sell the race board and take a look.

Borrowed a load of different set-ups from my friends; Moses, Spotz, Stroka and F-One. Was amazed at the difference between them but not skilled enough to say why. Could get going on the Spotz and Foil and foil over the top of waves but anything sustained kangarooed like crazy. I found the F-One board impossible to even stand on.

Ummm'd and ahhhh'd a lot and narrowed selection down. I spoke with Damien at Alpine who was great and explained the differences and in the end went for the Alpine Access 5.0, V2 with only the long mast.

First off, the board and foil look stunning and very easy set-up. First session and my expectations were for some kangarooing and typical session. I set Board up with two front straps only.

I was blown away. Whether it was that my practice has just, "clicked, " the Foil or both the first session was Amazing. Board is stable and I was able to get foiling for hundreds of metres and manage my weight to get higher and higher. Now I don't have huge comparisons but based on my first rides I'd say I am going to learn pretty quickly, Board just inspires confidence.

I'd like to go back and try some of the other foils again and see if I can get a better comparison because the other thing that is amazing if the bounce off the water when there is a touch down.

So overall, super stoked, cannot wait to get back out there. Id recommend the Foil and the company and Damien are fantastic to deal with. I'll add more detail to this when I have got some more rides under my belt.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_3a85.jpeg

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:43 pm

Sounds great :thumb:

Just remember, particularly when still in the muscle memory learning phase, that whenever you "change" hydrofoil, even if just the wing, you will have to adapt and it might not feel "right" at first - not because anything is wrong, but because you have your mind and body short memory set on one type.

It means a lot :roll:

8) PF

RightClyde
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Castelldefels, Spain
Style: Enthusiastic freestyle, strapless surf
Gear: Ozone Reo, Enduros's and Zephyr

Postby RightClyde » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:55 pm

Peter
Absolutely agree. I think with practice you can obviously learn to ride anything, just my experience is that the Alpine seemed more stable

WINDMANU
Rare Poster

Postby WINDMANU » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:49 pm

Nice upgrade of the ACCESS V1 : just change your front wing...

"I am writing this post as a review of the Alpine "GT Freeride" wing that Laszlo has been nice enough to allow me to demo. I have used the wing with my Access 5.0 v1 Aluminum foil with CX-V5 board. I also have the base XRT wing and the RT light wind race wings. I rode the wing in freshwater lakes if Dallas, TX in winds about 9-18 mph.

Looking at the wing, it doesn't have the winglets at the tips that the RT wing has. It is slightly lower aspect than the RT so not as thin. Construction is solid with smooth curves. It's light and strong, smaller than the large XRT wing.

Riding the wing, it does require a bit more speed to get going than the XRT wing. I would say about 11 mph of board speed to foil compared to 9 or so for the XRT wing. Surprising it foils well in light winds, down to about 10 mph depending on kite size. For absolute light winds the XRT can give you maybe a few more knots or mph, but not much more (depending on experience also). The double concave CV5 board does help to acquire board speeds in light winds.

In higher winds, the wing is much faster than the large XRT wing. It actually approaches the top speed of my RT wing. I was able to get up to 28 mph, but that was on my fx freestyle kite. I'm not a speed daemon, but I think it can go faster but above 30 mph it would become difficult to control, at least for my skill level. The RT seems to be able to point upwind a bit higher.

Freestyle, as the name would imply, is where the wing excels. The Alpine foils have a long fuselage so the are very stable, yet can be slower to react. The GT wing makes the foil come alive. The foil feels quicker than with the XRT wing. I found my jumps higher, as it lifts faster out of the water. This made tricks like back rolls easier to perform. Carving is also more dynamic. This is because the wing is more responsive to heel/toe side shifts. Compared to the XRT wing, it turns much faster. U will need a bit more speed for heel to toe side turns or the foil can stall when compared to the XRT wing. I find carving more enjoyable than with the RT wing, which tends to want to go fast but more in a straight line (locked in).

Despite its dynamic characteristics, the wing is still very stable. It does require more attention to weight shifts at higher speeds, but still maintains the smoothness and stability that Alpine is known for. I was still able to sit down on the board, perform gybes, etc on the board. I'm terrible at tacking no matter the setup, but with this wing I was able to at least get around, inspiring me to practice more. Though we don't have swells on the lakes, I believe this wing would also work well in the waves, at least better than the RT and XRT wings.

If I had to pick one wing only to keep among the 3, I would go with the GT wing. I would lose a bit on the low end compared to the XRT, and some high end stability of the RT wing, but I would gain a wing that is the most fun. I would suggest the wing to someone who has an XRT and wants to go faster, jump higher, or just ride more aggressively. Since I got this wing, I have not ridden the RT as much. I prefer the GT over the RT for my style, but I will ride the RT more in the next few weeks so I can make a better comparison. Please ask if you have more questions or want to demo. Thanks!

Matt

flyfabio
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 15
Local Beach: Monteynard lake
Favorite Beaches: South of france....
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: AlpineFoil Ultimate

Postby flyfabio » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:10 pm

Hey guys,
Check out the results of our french championship.
2 first places for AlpineFoil...
https://www.facebook.com/FederationVolL ... 115261237/

WINDMANU
Rare Poster

Postby WINDMANU » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:10 pm

:D

Jerome D
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Coopers Beach, NY
Favorite Beaches: Coopers Beach, NY
Noyac Bay, NY
Icarazinho, Brazil
Barra Grande, Brazil
Le Home / Franceville, France
Gear: Boards:
Fone Trax
Slingshot Glide
Fone Mitu
AlpineFoil

Postby Jerome D » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:52 pm

Spoiler :

• Amazing ordering experience
• Fantastic first impressions on the water

Background:

I started foiling mid-October 2016 in a 2 day « foiling camp » at Real Watersports in North Carolina (fantastic experience and efficient teaching allowed me, at the end of which I could ride the foil by myself, with still some spectacular crashes of course.
Back home in NY I was ready to get my own foil to continue the adventure.

Living in the US the natural choice was to turn to one of the local brands which all offer great products at a competitive price and scouting for reviews of which:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9R74B43BuI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFnt29vrNcA

and friend’s advice my attention was caught by the AlpineFoil products. Initially I was deterred as it seemed these foils where geared toward to experienced foiler or competitor. After further inquiry, I was reassured that, with the standard XLP Wing I should be fine and ultimately placed a call to the company where the owner, Damien, was kind enough to take the call a confident that I would be fine.

I decided to proceed an, the next day, ordered the following kit:

• Alpinefoil 5.0 Access V2 Kitefoil
• RX-V5 S Foilboard + footstraps
• Torx TX30 driver tool
• Kitefoil travel bag for assembled product (for everyday use)
• Kitefoil travel bag ultra-compact (for travels)
• Spare 60 cm “short3 mast to perfect my skills, learn transitions safely at a later stage and foiling in shallow waters on certain trips.

Import and delivery:
Living in the USA, I was able to order the products VAT free, i.e. at the “H.T. (meaning “Hors Taxe”, i.e. “before tax”) displayed on the website.
At delivery, the tax I had to pay was marginal (I may depend from the state/country you live in and I understand some people din’ have to pay tax at all).

I ordered the equipment on a Tuesday, it was shipped by AlpineFoil (located in the French Alps!) on the Wednesday morning and delivered to my doorstep in NY on the Friday same week! I was obviously impressed and exited to have the toys ready for action!

First Impressions:

At home

The Foil and the Board arrived in two different packages with a board nicely packed and protected.
The foil and accessories were perfectly organized in the conveniently designed Kitefoil travel bag ultra-compact I ordered as an extra.

I’m glad I ordered the Torx TX30 driver tool as the torx bits I have at home are too small in diameter. As AlpineFoil uses same torx heads for all the connections of the foil and their footstraps this is the only tool you need and I could recommend getting it.

Assembly was simple and straightforward. The “Kitefoil travel bag for assembled product” proved to be a great addition to the kit as it allows me to store the foil in the garage without fear of dinging the beautiful carbon wings. It is also convenient (not to say necessary, for transportation in the car and assembly on the parking lot or beach to ensure protection of the wings when in contact with hard surfaces and (and to protect the car interior from the sharp edge of the wings).

On the water:

As was gearing the ocean was “calm” and the wind started to pickup to approx. 20knots and I decided to play safe for my first ride and elected for the short mast and my 7m RPM.

I was immediately amazed by the ease to water start with the AlpineFoil RX-V5 S Foilboard and could immediately go on a nice plane. The board is very well balanced and glides effortlessly on and above the water. The best part is its ability to smoothly glide through almost all the touchdowns I has with the small swell and due to my limited skills: There was barely any friction / loss of speed upon contact with the water allowing me to recover easily and not fall. Even on most nosedives (remember I was on the short mast) I was possible to recover safely surprisingly often.

The foil itself performed very well and with the recommended “beginner” setting” was easy to control and the speed remained fast yet manageable.

All in all, a very convincing first session and can’t wait for the next. I am extremely pleased with my investment and the foil appears to be fantastic and yet manageable for a beginner. The great surprise was the quality and ease of access of the board itself which contributes to a fantastic experience while holding the promise of a great potential for performance. Even If you are a beginner and/or living outside of France you can be confident in acquiring AlpineFoil gear if you are tempted!

WINDMANU
Rare Poster

Postby WINDMANU » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:56 pm

nice test

Return to “Hydrofoil”