Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

hydrofoiling in "normal winds"

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Re: hydrofoiling in "normal winds"

Postby abel » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:36 pm

Peter_Frank wrote: Shorebreak alone was a challenge, more than head high :wink:

And sometimes you felt SMALL and difficult to poke your hydrofoil through these, with no help from the kite as close to dead onshore...
One time I made it out between a set, and just got up, but crashed the kite, bugger - and then it was dark so had to stop.
8) PF
Hey Peter,
Did you try body dragging far beyond the break? :lol:
Peter_Frank wrote: But it is snow and minus 7 degree celcius some days now, so dont know when it will happen :roll:
8) PF
You should go to the Mediterranean sea :wink: http://www.seatemperature.org/europe/

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:58 am

No the problem was this shorebreak had only a few seconds between waves - thus almost impossible to get even 10m out :o

Succeeded once as I wrote, but crashed the kite and then it got dark so no other chances...

No reason to drag far out anyways - if you can start between the waves there is no problem at all as you can bear off or head up to ride between the waves for survival, much easier than trying to drag through the impact zone which is hardly possible when onshore and this big :(

And there IS not really any "outside the break" here, when that windy it is wind waves all over also outside, eventhough bigger at the sand banks and shorebreak true :wink:

But I gave it a try, always better than not having tried :rollgrin:

8) PF

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:32 am

pcloud wrote:It seems that many who foil do so to get out in low wind conditions but prefer regular kiting in higher winds. Is that because foiling is more difficult with higher winds? I am on the fence about getting into foiling. We have pretty good wind regularly where I am so will foiling be worth getting into?

thanks
I'm about 10 sessions in and the glory for me (apart from learning a new sensation) is the removal of chop. I hate chop. I can withstand it if there's a good bit of flat and ramp to boost off or a decent wave to ride that requires some chop riding to get top it.

I have gone to the beach on a good 20 knot day do find just chop and nothing else. I flag those sessions away. Can't be bothered with just smashing the chop constantly.

So..... enter hydrofoil. No more chop. You rise above it like jesus walking on water. Lush. hideous chop becomes like ultrasmooth flatwater. Also short period swell was a bit crap too. crappy waves. Not enough flat between sets to boost.
HF turns the short period swell into a bmx style punt track...yeha.

So my conclusion for higher winds is that there are still benefits particularly if your local is subjected to choppy crappy water conditions.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:05 am

Finally a day where the 3.5m2 could be tested :thumb: (for the very first time) :D

Was out with a 6m2 on a waveboard (maybe I should have chosen a 7m2 sometimes), and then with the hydrofoil and 3.5 I had to walk a bit "upwind" where the coast curved so the wind was not straight onshore (tried that at first, but impossible because of the break washing me towards shore).

AMAZING to ride with this "mini" kite - the wind was (handheld measured) between 17 and 22 knots so slightly on the light side, but with a medium wing instead of the smallest, it worked just awesome.

The powerspikes when sinus'ed or looped are extreme - thus you can ride in way less wind than you would think :naughty:

And when you carve around, the kite accelerates so you keep foiling no problem even if almost too small a kite for going straight - COOL !

As written before, it does not turn too fast, because it has been deliberately tuned down so to speak - so rode with my normal bar no problems :D

But this was the first time ever ON the water, in headhigh waves, and it was so great to be able to go downwind on the faces withour being overpowered like on a bigger kite.

Even compared to a "small" 6m2, it appears really small :lol:
1.jpg
My point is I am amazed at how "easy" it was - as I remember some "scary" too sensitive/lively kites back in the early days :cry:

8) Peter

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:10 am

Fast kites are fun. its only because we are used to flying big slow kites that small fast ones seem too fast. I remember flying my a delta sport kite on my landboard in a 50 knots storm. It was maybe 1 sq m? that was literally line an angry wasp. Flew my buddies 4m ono in the kite buggy in 35-40 knots. That was also cool. you could stall it in and pivot loop it in the middle of the wind. So much fun. Now I'm looking for one for the hf 30 knots.

I went out today in normal wind. gusting to 26 knots. My 6 was at the shop getting fixed so I used the 8m. I wondered if i'd get punished being over powered. Nope. I just layed the hf over and cranked. Then rode toeside down wind. Its madness the range you can get out of one kite.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:14 am

Peter, what line length with the 3.5m ? Did you need to loop it to start?

stevez
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil freeride and wave
Gear: BRM cloud
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board

Postby stevez » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:49 am

I'm really enjoying my 3.5 in "normal winds", when just about everyone else is on 10s and 12s :D

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:15 am

A concern I would have pursuing the 3.5m kite option is that the size is quite rare. You have the Cloud and the Takoon Log and the North Mono and the Cabrinha Radar. Most 3.5m kites are trainer kites and/or foils (which could be fun when you think about it). Even the Takoon is called the "Log Kid", although they do say it is "Also used by adults in very strong winds"

Ozone do most low aspect inflatable kites down to 4m, and most brands go down to 5m.

So the question, is 3.5m considered a sweet spot size? Or are we talking about getting the most out of the smallest kite you have?

stevez
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil freeride and wave
Gear: BRM cloud
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board

Postby stevez » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:19 am

OzBungy wrote:So the question, is 3.5m considered a sweet spot size? Or are we talking about getting the most out of the smallest kite you have?
I think the latter. But it's also made me rethink what size kite is small.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:50 am

Was out yesterday at my local break, second time out with the 3.5m2.

Wind and water around 4-7 degree celcius (40-45 Fahrenheit) so not that bad - eventhough I got my ears and nose rinsed THOROUGHLY, because it was dead onshore and more than headhigh waves further out.

Went out a bit more left where the coast curved, so eventhough difficult and took a long time - I managed to get out and start between the waves :thumb:

More wind today, around 22 knots average and would have taken a 6m2 on my waveboard (which I did not as who cares when onshore...), so took the small wing and small board :D

Sometimes it was like riding moguls ha haa :rollgrin:

No, did not loop the kite, not necessary - in fact you get too much power often, doing so.
Using normal hydrofoil lines (26-27m) and the downstroke power is huge on this kite, as it is not as low AR. Giving it more range.
Looping works fine for carving, but for starting it is too much unless you are on the very light side underpowered or with a bigger wing - then looping works fine.

Awesome to be able to ride waves without getting smashed to smitherines like if trying to survive with a 5m2 - these big sizes simply does not work at all from 20 knots and up, in waves IMO.
Yes, they are easy to ride when just going back and fourth, but as soon as you turn down or around on the waveface, a 5m2 is way too much and will hinder your free movement on the wave :(

When finished, I took a wave to the inside and jumped in the water - eventhough close to shore the last part getting "in" was a slightly challenge but fun:

I dont know if above direct links to facebook pictures work or not - I think they do though.
Otherwise some more pics here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 403&type=3

The 3.5m2 Log is not a trainer kite - built just like the Furia and Logs :D

Finally possible to go hydrofoiling when you are out with a 5-6-7m2 on your waveboard, and want to hydrofoil instead (which happens quite often I have found :naughty: )

Sorry, I dont really understand this question :-? : "So the question, is 3.5m considered a sweet spot size? Or are we talking about getting the most out of the smallest kite you have?"

Do you mean if a 4m2 would be better, or what ?
It would certainly fit the bill just fine with even less gap, true, if your next size is a 5m2.
I have found a 5m2 being too big quite often, thus my reason for purchasing something smaller.

8) Peter

Return to “Hydrofoil”