Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Delta Hydrofoil - First ride

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Delta Hydrofoil - First ride

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:45 pm

Cliff Notes:
-Easy to ride
-Amazing fit/finish
-Competitive with the top race foils if not one of the best. Like an ultra-stable Sword on steroids.

I had a chance this weekend at the Vineyard Cup regatta to ride the latest foil/board combination from George at Delta Hydrofoil. You may know George from his videos about proper foil care and feeding (http://www.deltahydrofoil.com/pro-tips.html).

Wind was 18-25kts, butter-flat offshore conditions in a small inshore lagoon, riding my 9m Velocity on 24m lines. I couldn't really open it up and crank downwind for long periods as I only had about a 3/4 mile x 1/2 mile box to play in before getting into shallow water, but it was enough to get a feel for things.

The construction is beautiful, everything was smooth and faired, sanded to about 1200 grit so right away there were none of the noticeable "defects" you get with a bulk-produced foil. This is 100% handmade American construction, and it was completely silent at all speeds, absolutely no hum or vibration.

George uses ultra-high modulus carbon, so the whole affair felt much more stable than my Sword 2, easier to load up going upwind and less wobbly down wind. The board is beautiful, very thin profile with deep bevels so you can hike it over hard to point upwind. This is race gear, make no mistake, but it felt stable and smooth enough that I would definitely recommend this as a first foil for someone learning if they want to take the plunge on premium carbon construction. I wouldn't recommend his race board for a beginner as it's very small, but I personally had no problem with touch down gybes or tacks. He can build a board to any specs you want and even does modifications to make a space-pickle fit a tuttle box if you want the ultimate beginner ride.

The wing/fuse/stab are all one piece which makes a noticeable difference in stiffness when riding compared to a Sword2 or Spotz2. The strut connects into the fuselage just like a Mike's Lab foil, very tight fit. One big difference in the design of this foil compared to other race foils I've seen is that the strut is located much further back on the fuselage.

The advantage of this strategy is better pitch stability without having to monkey too much with the fuselage length or rear stabilizer profile. With the Sword, I feel like I can find it's upper limit very quickly when I point upwind and power up. This thing felt like it had a lot more left in it before I ran out of room, and down wind I never got the sense that I hit top speed, even though I was absolutely doing so when I switched back to my Sword. You can load it up a lot more than other foils that put their strut right over the front wing.

It was a short session, but if anyone is on the fence about buying a foil, this thing is a real competitor with the top brands and being American made by a guy who listens to feedback and works with riders, you're getting more than just a foil, you're getting access to a concerned designer who wants people to enjoy the product of his labors.

SparD
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Almanarre
Gear: Elf Joker 5 15 and 18m²
Ozone Chrono 12m²
Elf Joker 7 8m²
Ocean Rodeo Flite Gen5 8, 10 and 12m²
Ocean Rodeo Prodigy Gen4 5m² and 7m²
Airush DNA 2015 4m²
Slingshot Z 2016 3m²

Spotz Tuna (102cm)
RSC Supreme 2011 133x39.5
Old beatup surfboards

Re: Delta Hydrofoil - First ride

Postby SparD » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:46 am

Any pictures ?

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:43 pm

Negative, looks mostly like the one on his website but a bit different strut attachment and rear stabilizer/fuselage design.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and Board
Flysurfer Sonic2 9m,11m,15m,18m
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby davesails7 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:35 pm

Delta's construction is top notch! I have the delta board now and had one of the original delta foils.

The board is light and beautiful. His foil seemed indestructible after i grounded it several dozen times while learning :oops:

I haven't gotten a chance to ride his new foil.

cnski
Medium Poster

Postby cnski » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:15 pm

Pics of the latest Delta foil/board:
Attachments
IMG_0169.JPG
IMG_0169.JPG (148.89 KiB) Viewed 2074 times
IMG_0168.JPG
IMG_0168.JPG (169.84 KiB) Viewed 2074 times
IMG_0167.JPG
IMG_0167.JPG (154.09 KiB) Viewed 2074 times
IMG_0164.JPG
IMG_0164.JPG (162.1 KiB) Viewed 2074 times
FullSizeRender1.jpg
FullSizeRender1.jpg (170.32 KiB) Viewed 2074 times
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (175.24 KiB) Viewed 2074 times

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:01 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot the stab goes on like a Sword...my bad!

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mossy 757 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:27 pm

So I broke my Sword and replaced it with the foil from the pictures...just had it out again yesterday.

So insanely stable, you just load it up and it locks in like a monster. Very happy.

cnski
Medium Poster

Postby cnski » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:02 am

You bought that very foil or a new one? Not that it really matters. Congratulations. What are your thoughts on the positioning of the mast on the fuselage? I know it's supposed to make it much more stable and when I rode it it certainly felt that way. I know the ML foil has a similar position but the Delta seems to be positioned even further back.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:12 pm

cnski wrote:You bought that very foil or a new one? Not that it really matters. Congratulations. What are your thoughts on the positioning of the mast on the fuselage? I know it's supposed to make it much more stable and when I rode it it certainly felt that way. I know the ML foil has a similar position but the Delta seems to be positioned even further back.
That exact one, I had ridden it previously at The Vineyard Cup as well as his newer model in St. Petersburg, FL at the Florida Foil Racing League Fall Foil Race and thought they were about the same performance-wise. Since he had multiple finished foils and I was out of commission with my broken Sword, I jumped on the opportunity to get one that was already made instead of waiting.

The strut being back on the fuselage REALLY dampens the pitch sensitivity of the foil. I had thought the Sword was pretty locked in, but this thing loads up and goes fast with almost none of the bucking bronco feeling of having the strut right behind the wing. The downside to that is that it feels less lively and is a bit harder to pump up on a foil from a water start in lighter conditions, but when I rode this Saturday my foot straps were 1 hole too far forward, so maybe moving them back will give me a better weight distribution. I was also on 17m lines compared to 21m lines, and "powering up" from a water start is much more difficult without those 4 meters.

Another consequence of this strut/fuse design feature is more yaw stability, which I found pleasant for maneuvers when riding with a foil kite...you have to turn the foil more by banking it into the turn instead of yawing it around with your hips, but when you're going fast and flying a foil kite, this is a more natural and easier movement than trying to muscle it around in a gybe. I was able to foil through a gybe after only about an hour on the water, largely due to the more stable platform the Delta provides for a foot change.

I can see someone who is an advanced rider in a wave or freeride domain wanting some of that instability back as it definitely translates to a livelier more nimble ride, but that's not to imply that this is somehow an advanced foil. Besides the fact that this thing goes scarily faster than the Sword2, it's probably a better platform for a beginner because the wing is large and lifts easily at low speed without needing to pump the foil and without all the porpoising up and down. It's also easier to ride very slowly than the sword for the same reason. I would confidently recommend the Delta to someone who had never ridden a foil before.

I've never ridden an ML foil, and even if I had, I'm not sure that information would be particularly useful because out of all the ML foils I've seen, no two were identical, and some of the earlier models are REALLY different than the current iteration. I'd like to be able to ride this Delta back to back with one of the newer ML foils before I comment on whether this is better, but it seems like a drastic improvement over the foils I have ridden so far for the exact reason that people seem to like Mike's foils. Stable, stiff, big wing, low drag, easy as hell to ride.

Yodarocket31
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Lake Tahoe, CA
Sherman Island, CA
Gear: North, Slingshot, F-One, Naish, Taaroa, Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Yodarocket31 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:00 pm

Thanks for the update, Mossy!

Look forward to hearing more reports from you as you spend more time on the Delta foil. Sounds like a sweet ride :thumb:

Return to “Hydrofoil”