Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Zeeko Spitfire Hydrofoil

Postby irwe » Mon May 22, 2017 8:14 pm

Just started riding the Spitfire with the SS Alien Air. If anyone is riding this combination let me know where you have the plate track # and front foot strap position.
I currently am riding it with the track at 4.5 and the front strap all the way back.
I find the board still wants to porpoise . This is the plate and strap position that I used with my Manta 1 and it was easy to ride

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Mon May 22, 2017 8:43 pm

Just a guess, but I bet its pretty flukey if both foils have the same set up.

borist
Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Mon May 22, 2017 11:11 pm

irwe wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 8:14 pm
Just started riding the Spitfire with the SS Alien Air. If anyone is riding this combination let me know where you have the plate track # and front foot strap position.
I currently am riding it with the track at 4.5 and the front strap all the way back.
I find the board still wants to porpoise . This is the plate and strap position that I used with my Manta 1 and it was easy to ride
I generally care only about front footstrap (s) vs strut (holes for plate) location. Zeeko recommends 37cm between aft hole (center of the board) of the front foot strap and forward hole of the mounting plate. However as I tend to ride with narrower stance I found 35cm more suitable to my style so far.
So what I do is: put front strap(s) where you (think) like them and then figure out where foil should go.

As a side note, I think AA board is a bit too big for Spitfire. Such a lively foil might even feel a bit unstable when mounted on a large board. I rode it with Dwarfcraft 54", my own built pocket board 118 x 46cm and now Levitaz Exo. All worked very well with it, but Exo is just a pure bliss :thumb:

pikovsg
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: West Dennis, Pleasure Bay, Chapin, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe. Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul
Gear: BRM Cloud, Lift foils, LP, Temavento, Levitaz, Moses, Concept Air Pulsion, North, Slingshot, Cabrinha, Flysurfer, Ocean Rodeo, Onewheel, Evolve GT, Ollin Freeride

Postby pikovsg » Mon May 22, 2017 11:24 pm

borist wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 11:11 pm
irwe wrote:
I generally care only about front footstrap (s) vs strut (holes for plate) location. Zeeko recommends 37cm between aft hole (center of the board) of the front foot strap and forward hole of the mounting plate. However as I tend to ride with narrower stance I found 35cm more suitable to my style so far.
So what I do is: put front strap(s) where you (think) like them and then figure out where foil should go.

As a side note, I think AA board is a bit too big for Spitfire. Such a lively foil might even feel a bit unstable when mounted on a large board. I rode it with Dwarfcraft 54", my own built pocket board 118 x 46cm and now Levitaz Exo. All worked very well with it, but Exo is just a pure bliss :thumb:

I have the Exo too. Do you ride strapless or with the three straps? I REALLY can't do waves with three straps and would love it if Exo had middle straps

borist
Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Tue May 23, 2017 12:24 am

I don't like a single strap on foilboard as it gets in my way too much when switching my feet. I ride 3 straps (minimalistic race design), all a bit loose and when needed I don't have much issue with jamming my front foot deep in and rotated so it is pretty much in the same position as it would be in a single strap. Plus with Spitfire I feel less need to be over the front of the board.
I tried a single foothook up front (on my other board similar in size) and it was more nuisance than help. Just my preference really. I have not tried Exo strapless yet, but it is on the list

jespin4845
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Tue May 23, 2017 1:44 am

slingshot converter and spitfire strapless here, thats bliss for me, the longer board gives me room for leverage to pump hard

I used a 42" dwarfcraft before and couldn't pump at all, back leg wasn't far back enough

borist
Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Tue May 23, 2017 6:01 pm

Yup. While I don't pump this foil that much, having back foot far enough back unlocked some of Spit's abilities.

Zeeko
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Montpellier, France
Style: all styles
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko

Postby Zeeko » Wed May 24, 2017 9:57 am

borist wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 11:11 pm
irwe wrote:

about the 35cm, I noted that some other riders use the same location than you.
It depends on the style. 37cm is my personal set up (it is same as the other foils I ride)

Regards

NIcolas

irwe
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:38 pm

Third session on the Slingshot Alien Air and Spitfire. I changed the settings to back plate bolt (27.5 cm from back of board) which made the plate fully forward in the box.
Front Foot Strap back insert 35 cm ahead of front plate bolt.
With this set up I was able to ride the Spitfire. As noted it requires far more back foot pressure.
I also found compared to the Manta Freestyle Foil the lift off velocity is higher and it needs to foil at a higher speed (2- 3 kts more).
Borist: I bought Spitfire to use with my 122 cm JellyFish Custom but didn't have it on the trip I was on.
I will report back again after a few sessions with the JellyFish

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m

Postby Bletti » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:55 am

I heard back from Zeeko that they should be releasing the larger wingset at the end of the month. I'm curious on the price and how large/slow they decide to go.

Return to “Hydrofoil”