HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Re: Zeeko Spitfire Hydrofoil

Postby bragnouff » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:26 am

Rojbrown wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:49 am
(...) Where should the back foot be in relation to the mast?
I'm talking about the XLW here, but the front insert of my back strap is aligned with the trailing edge of the mast. Which means the back foot is just behind the mast. Front foot is a whole shoulder width apart (my usual stance).
In terms of insert positions on the 5'4" Slash, that translates into front strap as far forward as possible and back strap on the middle insert. I understand this might be different for someone else, but that'd give you a reference point. I'm about 6'2/90kg

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia
Has thanked: 0

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:15 am

I only use the Std wings and at first I used front strap in central position and back foot in front of back strap as I had done with my Black&White.
This was just plane unco and porpoise city so back foot went into back strap which is just behind mast. It took a little time but had better control.
As time goes by I’m progressively moving the front strap back as I notice I’m putting more pressure or forcing my foot into back of strap.
Am about to move back strap back as well.
Maybe turn your hook around to let your foot move backwards.

Zeeko
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier, France
Style: all styles
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko
Been thanked: 0

Postby Zeeko » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:58 am

Hi,
Interesting subject.

About the foot locations, it dépends about your habits, but by experience, I noted that the first trials on a spitfire are better with you moove it forward by 2cm more than we recommend. and when you get used with it you ride with the standard location. The front foot location is more or less the same for all the riders.
About the back foot location, in fact it dépends a lot of your habits. My personnal setting is with a maximum of stances in waves with the XLW wings, and when I ride the XXLW wings, I mostly use it strapless, and the stance is clearly narrower compare to the strapped stance.

of course the easyness of the foil depends mainly of the surface of the wings, and the XXLW should be easier than the standard one, but the max speed should be of course lower.

Ride easy
Nicolas

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tswierkocki » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:56 pm

Rojbrown wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:49 am
Appreciate the feedback! I ride with a single foot hook open forward on the mid to forward aspect of the board. It allows me to waterstart but can move my foot forward if needed. The back foot is free. I've been playing with different foot positions. When I move the front foot forward to anticipate/prevent porpoising the board submerges. With the back foot...well, I'm not sure. It seems I have to move it forward for the "sweet spot" but then my stance feels narrow. Much more so then when riding a directional. Where should the back foot be in relation to the mast?
I only ride strapless. On the Spitfire my rear foot is directly on top of the rear screws for the mast.

When learning I put tape marks on the deck of my board so I had a reference point for where my feet should be.

I think you might be using too much front foot pressure. When you start to porpoise try applying more back foot pressure. It is counter intuitive but this worked for me when first riding the Spitfire.

Rojbrown
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 190lbs
Local Beach: Lake Mojave boat launch
Favorite Beaches: Lake Mohave AZ
SPI
Union Island
Style: Intermediate surf/beginner foil
Gear: Switch Helium 8/12/16
Hyperlink V1 12

Postby Rojbrown » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:18 am

Doh! That is counter intuitive! My simple brain equates porpoise with the need for more front foot pressure. I’ll concentrate on back foot. Also like the tape idea.

Rojbrown
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 190lbs
Local Beach: Lake Mojave boat launch
Favorite Beaches: Lake Mohave AZ
SPI
Union Island
Style: Intermediate surf/beginner foil
Gear: Switch Helium 8/12/16
Hyperlink V1 12

Postby Rojbrown » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:20 am

What position of the mast in the tract are most riding?

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:42 am

I use the spitfire with xlw wings on a LF foil fish with two front straps, no rear strap. The front straps are fixed as far in front as possible and the mast is as far back in the tracks as possible. This makes a 48 cm distance between rear end of mast to rear screws of front straps, which works well. If i could i would mount the mast even further back, because my backfoot now never stands on the very rear. I seem to stand with the backfoot pretty much over the rear wing.

haare
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lahti, Finland
Favorite Beaches: Egypt - Marsa Alam
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Zeeko spitfire
F one diablo 6.4 and 8
Flysurfer sonic 2 11, 13, 18
Elf Joker 15

Postby haare » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:29 pm

I love my spitfire. It is fantastic piece of kit for big air. However it has weak spot. The Connection between mast and base plate is very shallow compared to all other aluminium foils I have had. In my foil this connection broke down.

Screws are bend and mast is damaged a little. Baseplate is looser than it should.

It most likely broke while jumping. I never have hit any rocks while foiling.

This might be because fresh water had slowly loosened my bolts. But this is inherent weakness of the shallow connection point. I bought new screws and tightened them just before session. It broke again in just 2 sessions. My old foil also loosened in use but it did not break. It just got loose and you could screw it back tight.

So what to do. I think I am going to permanently fix the connection with epoxy. If that doesn't work somewhone has to weld it.

Such a shame though. It would be nice if you could buy deeper baseplate. With proper connection. Or if the just made carbon mast for this foil.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:36 pm

Maybe you should get the base plate with collar. You would have to shim it to match the angle of the spitfire base, but it would be stronger... or try to land more gently.

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:44 pm

Once you have loosened those bolts and they would have to have got loose to bend, then you will have to check the surfaces for flatness and proper mating.

Considering the horrible number and type of landings plus full speed sandbar speed humps I’ve put mine through. And it’s still perfect. I’d say that you could have had a problem from earlier that has allowed the mating surface to be compromised.

Return to “Hydrofoil”