F one diablo 6.4 and 8
Flysurfer sonic 2 11, 13, 18
Elf Joker 15
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Zeeko Spitfire Hydrofoil

Postby haare » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:55 am

3InletsWindsports wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:44 pm
Once you have loosened those bolts and they would have to have got loose to bend, then you will have to check the surfaces for flatness and proper mating.

Considering the horrible number and type of landings plus full speed sandbar speed humps I’ve put mine through. And it’s still perfect. I’d say that you could have had a problem from earlier that has allowed the mating surface to be compromised.
Sounds like you kite in salt water. Bolts tend to only get stuck in those conditions. In fresh water there is no galvanic corrosion or salt build up so bolts loose very easily. Even if you tighten them regularly. As I said I have never hit anything while foiling. But I jump each session to 9-12m few times. Sometimes landings are hard. But this foil is advertised for jumping. I am just saying this is easy to fix if they want. Just make those connections sturdier. Use deeper collar with baseplate. For example alpine foil connection mast to fuselage is far lighter and still a lot sturdier. Zeeko has basically only bolts when alpines mast goes inside the fuselage.

Dont get me wrong. I love my spitfire, it is my favorite foil so far. I just wish they would make it stronger. I am sure they follow this conversation so I wanted to share my experience.

My temporary fix is to just use steal bolts. Those are strong, they don't break. However you cannot use them in salt water because they corrode very fast.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:08 am

Second session yesterday on the XXLW with a kite. Sessions are few and far between that time of the year... Anyway, getting used to it, you get to feel the wave a lot through the foil and the kite becomes totally accessory, but it is also true when going over a wave or across a crest, it takes a bit of getting used to it to avoid tripping over. Also, as I was bodydragging to deep water and powering the kite a bit ahead of a wave to punch through, I got surprised a couple of times that the board actually started to lift on the foil while bodydragging. Definitely a low take off speed on that one! I was aiming for a duck dive and got a bit caught by surprise when the foil lifted me onto the lip... D'oh! Nothing like a good 10C full flush...
Looking forward to more time on that. The board I ride with it at the moment (the Zeeko Wakeskate) is definitely not the most forgiving for riding in a bumpy cold ocean. Bit more length and more nose rocker would help, and straps. I need to make some ­shims and find longer hardware if I want to bolt it on the Slash 5'4 since the stronger lipped plate doesn't have the builtin 2 degrees angle that the spitfire plate had.
Still pondering if I put boxes on my surfboard to surf foil it (7S Double Down 6'2"), or if I'm better to keep it as is and get another dedicated board. I'm worried about weight and strength.

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia
Has thanked: 0

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:31 pm

Getting a board you know is compatible is the piece of mind way to go.

andre_oner
Rare Poster
Gear: Notus & Foil Series
Brand Affiliation: zeeko kites - international sales
Been thanked: 0

Postby andre_oner » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:46 pm

Dear All,
as we receive many request on the XLW SPITFIRE wings I just want to inform that they are back on stock and this time in white color with the AVS system.

cheers!

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:40 pm

andre_oner wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:46 pm
Dear All,
as we receive many request on the XLW SPITFIRE wings I just want to inform that they are back on stock and this time in white color with the AVS system.
I'd love to hear feedback on these. Hopefully from someone who used original XLW wings before

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:42 am

Why not purple?

Rojbrown
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 190lbs
Local Beach: Lake Mojave boat launch
Favorite Beaches: Lake Mohave AZ
SPI
Union Island
Style: Intermediate surf/beginner foil
Gear: Switch Helium 8/12/16
Hyperlink V1 12

Postby Rojbrown » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:44 am

From a doubter to a believer today. Have been on the spitfire just 4 time now. Each day a small step. Had marginal wind. Flew a 16m H3 Switch. Had to be boat towed/launched to get the kite in the air. 6-8mph. Once kite in the air focus was not to let it fall. Was able to generate enough appearanot wind to foil for 100s of yards at a time. Butter smooth. It was a blast! Still hoping to get my hands on the XLW wings but OMG I’ve never kited in such marginal conditions n had such fun. Kudos to Zeeko n Switch for stellar products! FYI no straps. Just a foot hook to help waterstart. If I knew how to kiteloop it would help. I did a front loop. It sent me backward. Should I do backloops to start? What’s the best direction to loop a kite to water start in marginal wind?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:43 am

Am I dreaming or did nico come in this site last week and tease a carbon spitfire fuselage that would work with the existing carbon mast? Can’t find such a post now... figment?

Zeeko
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier, France
Style: all styles
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko
Been thanked: 0

Postby Zeeko » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:05 pm

Hi BWD,

we are working on it,

the good news is the fuselage will fit all the Zeeko carbon mast until 2015 (they have not same screw location but the fuselage will fit all)

ride easy
Nicolas

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:43 pm

First rides and first impressions of spitfire with XL wings...

wasnt all gaga over this foil.....
Pitch and yaw control not its strength (obviously.... no anhedral)
slow (obviously big wings)
very sensitive take off..not good for beginners....
on the flip side turns on a dime....extraordinary control in the turns...very fun in this area.

overall I would say an acquired taste (like beer)....definitely not an all arounder like the MH lift....needs a lot of water time to get used to....will try the original wings....

Return to “Hydrofoil”