james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Re: Who has quit hydrofoiling ?

Postby james » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:59 pm

Litsupplyco wrote:
james wrote:Did it for three years, loved it

Fell out of love with the people that then took it up and it gradually ruined my enjoyment

Every now and again I think about getting back on it and then a bloody evangelical shop owner or brand guy spouts off about how sick the latest generation. Generic copy alloy foil is and I just think why fucking bother

Thats a really hipster thing to say.

Don't you foil for the enjoyment for yourself, not because others are getting in to it? Why be so worried about what everyone else does.
So do you kite now? Way more people start kiting every year than foiling.

Hipster? Wow. That's low.

And no I stopped because I wanted to, I stopped because the local scene degenerated to a level of buy x brand because it's what I sell rather than what was appropriate, because people and stores that put in the hard work to grow it were overlooked and new distributors set up selling direct to the customer base that people had worked hard to build up

I quit because every five minutes there is another new expert on the beach/forum telling you shit that you should or shouldn't Do

I quit because I could.

If all of that makes me hipster or not meeting your core values then your probably the type of person that made my decision to stop that little bit easier

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jonysan » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:37 pm

Bravo James, I know exactly what you mean. The same people who became strapless snobs !

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:05 am

james wrote:
Litsupplyco wrote:

Fell out of love with the people that then took it up and it gradually ruined my enjoyment

Every now and again I think about getting back on it and then a bloody evangelical shop owner or brand guy spouts off about how sick the latest generation. Generic copy alloy foil is and I just think why fucking bother

Don't you foil for the enjoyment for yourself, not because others are getting in to it? Why be so worried about what everyone else does.

And no I stopped because I wanted to, I stopped because the local scene degenerated to a level of buy x brand because it's what I sell rather than what was appropriate, because people and stores that put in the hard work to grow it were overlooked and new distributors set up selling direct to the customer base that people had worked hard to build up

I quit because every five minutes there is another new expert on the beach/forum telling you shit that you should or shouldn't Do

I quit because I could.

If all of that makes me hipster or not meeting your core values then your probably the type of person that made my decision to stop that little bit easier
Wasnt supposed to be a low blow. I just thought it was funny the way it came across. Apologize if it seemed like an insult. Was just having some fun. :lol:
I was generally just curious why quit foiling. Its glorious. The same can be said about kiting in general. Always a new expert showing up, forums discussing this that and the other thing. But i feel it can be said about anything. Everyone starts a sport at some point someone is always a beginner and a n00b at anything. BMX, Skiing, skateboarding, surfing. Imagine everyone quit because of those reasons. All these sports are growing and wherever there is money, there will be peeps trying to make money off it. I guess what i was trying to say its a shame to let other tools ruin something you enjoy.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:13 am

james wrote:
Litsupplyco wrote:

I quit because I could.

I don't understand this. I never quite anything because of others. If i like it i do it. If not i dobn't. I don't give 3 flying fucks what anybody else likes or doesn't like.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:58 am

The real story is that James had a minor midlife crisis, sold me his 9m Sonic and bought a sports car.

#truestory.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:59 am

:P

Return to “Hydrofoil”