A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

diogovilla
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Praia do Coqueiro - Piaui - Brazil
Brand Affiliation: None

Foil with my old Nobile Infinity board.

Postby diogovilla » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:41 pm

I have an old 6'2" Nobile Infinity board and am considering using it with my foil instead of buying the 5'1" Foil Split Infinity board.

Question: What can I expect from this board with my foil? (So far I have only tried my lovely Alpine race board with my Alpine foil).

Tks.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Foil with my old Nobile Infinity board.

Postby Tone » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:42 pm

as long as the mast placement is good, you will be fine. I think.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:54 pm

Yes, it will work perfectly, good size for this.

If strapless the mast placement is not critical, but when using straps you have to place it correctly, but you know the positions from your Alpine board so would be easy :thumb:

Are your Alpine board on its last days since you want to use your old waveboard instead ?

I dont think there will be much difference between these, eventhough very different - as the planing surface is quite similar.
The Alpine raceboard looks better suited in fact, for hydrofoiling both freeride and everything else.

8) PF

diogovilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Praia do Coqueiro - Piaui - Brazil

Postby diogovilla » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:05 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:Yes, it will work perfectly, good size for this.

If strapless the mast placement is not critical, but when using straps you have to place it correctly, but you know the positions from your Alpine board so would be easy :thumb:

Are your Alpine board on its last days since you want to use your old waveboard instead ?

I dont think there will be much difference between these, eventhough very different - as the planing surface is quite similar.
The Alpine raceboard looks better suited in fact, for hydrofoiling both freeride and everything else.

8) PF
Peter_Frank wrote:Yes, it will work perfectly, good size for this.

8) PF
Hi Peter,

My race board is not on its last days. I am finding very difficult the strapless waterstart (it has 36 liters) and I thought It could be easier with less volume. Besides, I also think of removing the foil, putting the fins and using it as a waveboard in some days of my kitetrips. Will it work?

borist
Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:07 pm

Depends how much flex your surfboard has and how wide it is. Alpine strut sits basically under back foot, at least mine does (4.5), so your front foot will be full stance width forward. If board flexes, foil might feel little strange, especially if you are using large front wing (XLP). I used my alpine with F1 fish 5'2". I did not like it all that much. Volume and weight was good, but it felt a little narrow in larger chop and an extra length kinda useless. On flat water none of this matters much. You just might feel inertia of longer board when making tighter turns. My Alpine board is quite heavy (rx v4) so extra inertia of longer board was not that noticeable. I assume you have flat plate adapter?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:48 pm

Yes it will work - but most "convertible" waveboards becomes a bit stiff because of the reinforcement you have to make around the mast connection exactly where waveboards need to flex.
But if you are not very sensitive it will work fine.

How experienced are you ?

It might be a tad easier to start strapless when learning this if you have NEVER done it before, I dont know - but I find no difference whether I use a supersmall a bit sinking board, or a small to medium one, or a big floaty wide raceboard - easy to waterstart on the last type too :thumb:

My current light wind hydrofoil kiteboard is 50 liters.
Super easy to start strapless so straps removed after day one and ever since, the last years :naughty:

What are other experienced riders experiences regarding this ?
I have read someo saying the same, a long time ago, that it was difficult on big boards - but as I remember it was also some who should try strapless for the very first time :roll:

For me, not very agile/talented (but experienced), it is easy to start strapless on really big boards :D

8) PF

omg
Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:16 am

Peter,

about your 50 liter board; can you give the measurement, please?

Also, I'm wondering how much the length and width matters when the volume is the same for very marginal conditions?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:06 pm

omg wrote:Peter,

about your 50 liter board; can you give the measurement, please?

Also, I'm wondering how much the length and width matters when the volume is the same for very marginal conditions?
It is my old std North Race LTD 2010. Light and with sharp edges and a flat, fast rockerline.
175 x 48 cm and 50 liters.

I have no idea if width is better than length, as I havent had or made loads of boards - but have tried some.
The 175 is a bit long, a bit wider and shorter would probably be even more fun when you make 360s and play around - which is a thing you can still do in marginal winds to some extent.

I have an idea/theory, that a longer/wider board with more surface after your rear foot, will make you able to sail in the least wind - better for the most marginal conditions.
As most (in fact ALL) boards seem to have the rear strap quite close to the tail - even the bigger wider thicker boards.

Works perfectly when sufficient wind, but in really sub marginal wind where you just try to keep your kite flying, and the board up on the surface - the surface between your rear foot and the tail is really important !

Easy to see when you ride strapless - that you move your feet forward a lot when sub-marginal wind, to stay balanced and afloat.
This is also possible when you got straps only moving the rear, but sometimes you have to move your forward foot - so having a bit more surface after the rear strap would make it even easier to ride particularly with straps, in marginal winds when huge lulls appear so sub-marginal and you have to work and loop a lot.
The "limit" with too much surface after the rear foot (mast), is most likely that at some point you can not pump the foil as well with your feet - which is also important to be able to sometimes, to get going when marginal.

Having a wider shorter board should make it even easier, as you only have to move your foot/feet less, to stay afloat balanced - but as said, I dont know as havent compared some head to head.

My LTD marginal wind board summer 2015, it had been windy earlier that day (8 knots) so water not glassy, and then the wind dropped to barely possible to keep the kite in the air if not at 12 and worked (windstation average up higher was 5-5.5 knots and sometimes a lull below and a gust above), when I went out this summer afternoon.
Tried to hold a stickcam to catch the "silence" somehow, eventhough I might not have succeded, and not any action, remember it is almost two years ago and my first time trying to hold a stick when marginal and having to loop a foilkite with 32m lines in order to get going : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHzww4l-dNw

Riding in marginal wind is occasionally extreme fun :thumb:

Would like to hear what you guys/girls have experienced regarding marginal wind boards, especially my idea with more surface after the mast and rear foot ?

8) PF

hshim007
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Yas Island
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: Mhl foil, Paipo boardriding Maui, cloud D kites
Brand Affiliation: Love the BRM Clouds!

Postby hshim007 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:16 pm

IMHO I don't think that volume of a board helps all that much when foiling. Surface area of the board yes, especially when starting and porpoising or learning air transitions and touching down but I think volume is waaaay over emphasized. A less floaty board is significantly easier to waterstart especially strapless. With a less floaty board like a paipo or the Nobile Zen split board (which I'm currently using), you just have to bury the windward rail briefly (mainly by pushing down on the tail end of the windward rail), put your feet on and move the kite and the board is stuck to your feet. If you have an efficient foil you only need a few meters on the board before your up and foiling. If you're learning and your feet are a little bit forward to prevent the toaster effect, you still get a bit of lift from the foil while the board is on the water so I don't see why you need all that volume. Again this has just been my impressions from going from a board with lots of volume and float to one with less volume but equal surface area. Once you progress to air transitions and 360's I think that a little shorter board would help but I would make it a little wider too (Shinn's El Stubbo comes to mind or a chopped Paipo).

Return to “Hydrofoil”