Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hydrofoiling has ruined me a bit.

Postby plummet » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:25 pm

Peter_Frank wrote: Agree fully with you Mossy and was thinking the same - it sounds very "different" that you Plummet after 3½ months only, has reached your limit and asks "what next" - as this takes several years for most skilled riders even if out a lot I would say, and some never get to that point :roll:
Even the really good always finds something to get better at.

It could also be the point you say that you are "not enjoying the journey" Plummet, that is REALLY different from many others ?

8) PF
I haven't reached my progression limit yet by any means. There is a lot more to learn. But you are right. I do not enjoy the constant crashing of learning a hard to learn skill. It is something I withstand to get to the skill i need. But i dislike the learning process. It is not my idea of fun crashing and body dragging say 50 times in a session to try and stick that new thing.

So I will take some of Starsky's advice and allocate a portion of the session to progression and then get on with the riding which is what i really enjoy.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:37 pm

plummet wrote: So I will take some of Starsky's advice and allocate a portion of the session to progression and then get on with the riding which is what i really enjoy.
Well, yes, isnt that how we all do it out there, no matter which "craft" we are progressing on ?

A balance of learning things and crashing, and also stepping back and enjoying what you can - LIVE to the fullest out there, doing both in the amount that suits one on a given day :rollgrin:

8) PF

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:06 pm

Yeah, sometimes with foiling you have to learn to take that step back. I think I learned something new the first 50 sessions in a row. That's a remarkable learning curve and you begin to expect it to continue at that pace. When it don't its easy to get frustrated. I really dove into foiling. Did it exclusively when I could have probably had more fun on other boards. There was a point at which, I was getting out often, but for short sessions and would spend all of the time working on the next two or three skills. At one point I was simply tired and just rode. That was the first session I realized I could just ride without all the crashing for an entire session. I stopped working on things at all for a few weeks and just rode around only doing what I was capable of. It was like some kind of weird Staycation! Anyway, eventually went back to working on things, but now there is some balance to it, and thankfully have made it to a level where there are enough skills to have real fun with the riding part.

Sir V
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Palm Beach and general Gold Coast, QLD
Favorite Beaches: Palm Beach QLD
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: Lift, from MHL Custom
Drifter, from Cabrinha
Been thanked: 0

Postby Sir V » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:07 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mossy 757 wrote:
plummet wrote:
your probably right on both counts
I can't escape the thought that you might be at a bit of a plateau that you need to push through. You mentioned that your maneuvers aren't 100% yet, that might be something that changes the way you feel about the discipline. You're also riding a homemade hydrofoil with a very large wing, you might discover that there are some inherent issues in your setup that have capped your progression or the flexibility of your kit in a way that a racier, cruisier, or just production-made foil wouldn't present.
Agree fully with you Mossy and was thinking the same - it sounds very "different" that you Plummet after 3½ months only, has reached your limit and asks "what next" - as this takes several years for most skilled riders even if out a lot I would say, and some never get to that point :roll:
Even the really good always finds something to get better at.

Or maybe you need someone to ride with on occasions even if far away - it changes EVERYTHING hugely in terms of progression and skill and objectivity of what you can, and what is possible and how different gear performs :naughty:

You will find some amazing things, both in terms of speed and agility - videos are worth nothing, compared to riding with others no matter if freeride/freestyle/wave/race/speed - it is truly a "gamechanger" if I were to use this overused word.

And will also say like others - too much "compromise" will dull every board down to being boring and a short fad only - which is why I dont think the hydrofoil TT got a chance, just as an example :wink:

It could also be the point you say that you are "not enjoying the journey" Plummet, that is REALLY different from many others ?

I think, that most really love the journey - learning new skills even when crashing whilst doing it, is awesome and the very motivation.
Especially when so difficult and different - it gives even more satisfaction, the very journey, seeing how you slowly can get better at some both big and small things, till they suddenly click - OR they suddenly succeed but you have to find out how to get it to click so not just a one shot :rollgrin:
And knowing you can go on and on and get better, so there is nothing stopping you from progressing for years and years to come !

8) PF
PLummet my man... you're a long way off losing the stoke Brother :P PF and Starsky say it well.

1- 3,5 months in nothing regarding learning a new skillset
2 - you are doing really well - pat yourself in the back
3 - you may indeed now need to try and get a production foil - try for something wave specific as I don't think you're a race man, each to his own..
4 - back off trying new stuff for a while. Go out and enjoy a foil, then put it away and take the SB out and go play.
5 - next challenge: take the foil to waves bro, that's where the real kick is. Put the kite onto a drift and just ride the undercurrent. When you get that 'kick' the smile on your gob will be so big you'll forget all about the plateau :thumb:

We all have such a way to go. I have been on it a bit longer than most, I am older than most, and I still enjoy challenging myself every time. Don't get me wrong, I have my moments of reflection 'is that it?' but usually when the conditions are crap for foiling and I get 'bored'. But then again I go out from 10-30 knots LOL. I just bought a 4m Reo, oh my what fun.
I am guilty of going out on the foil when I should really be on the surfboard and I get told ALL THE TIME by my mates, but if I don't challenge myself to ride in all conditions how would I know what's good and possible?

I know I keep beating the drum about foiling waves.. damn I've been on that 'ride' since day one about 3 years ago. Only now the dedicated foils are surfacing :roll: but I still think we've still got a way to go on the 'perfect' machine. My goal is to learn as much as I can on what I have tried to customize and then when the real stuff comes out I'll be smiling from ear to ear, even more than now.

So, I guess I'm just trying to say.. back off the 'trying too hard' a bit. Sit back and enjoy the huge achievements you already reached, stop and smell the coffee. Then drop in and face an 8" peeler and shit yourself for a bit LOLOLOLOL

Cheers Bro, so glad you joined us.

V

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:43 am

Sir V wrote:[quote="Peter_Frank
PLummet my man... you're a long way off losing the stoke Brother :P PF and Starsky say it well.

1- 3,5 months in nothing regarding learning a new skillset
2 - you are doing really well - pat yourself in the back
3 - you may indeed now need to try and get a production foil - try for something wave specific as I don't think you're a race man, each to his own..
4 - back off trying new stuff for a while. Go out and enjoy a foil, then put it away and take the SB out and go play.
5 - next challenge: take the foil to waves bro, that's where the real kick is. Put the kite onto a drift and just ride the undercurrent. When you get that 'kick' the smile on your gob will be so big you'll forget all about the plateau :thumb:

We all have such a way to go. I have been on it a bit longer than most, I am older than most, and I still enjoy challenging myself every time. Don't get me wrong, I have my moments of reflection 'is that it?' but usually when the conditions are crap for foiling and I get 'bored'. But then again I go out from 10-30 knots LOL. I just bought a 4m Reo, oh my what fun.
I am guilty of going out on the foil when I should really be on the surfboard and I get told ALL THE TIME by my mates, but if I don't challenge myself to ride in all conditions how would I know what's good and possible?

I know I keep beating the drum about foiling waves.. damn I've been on that 'ride' since day one about 3 years ago. Only now the dedicated foils are surfacing :roll: but I still think we've still got a way to go on the 'perfect' machine. My goal is to learn as much as I can on what I have tried to customize and then when the real stuff comes out I'll be smiling from ear to ear, even more than now.

So, I guess I'm just trying to say.. back off the 'trying too hard' a bit. Sit back and enjoy the huge achievements you already reached, stop and smell the coffee. Then drop in and face an 8" peeler and shit yourself for a bit LOLOLOLOL

Cheers Bro, so glad you joined us.

V
Chur bro.

I am an the precipice of being able to ride a decent wave. I've got the process sorted, tried it on wind swells and a half decent shoulder high face. Now I wait for the right conditions. I also have a 4m uno coming for the express purpose of riding waves in higher winds. So I'm expecting some high wind foiling joy! Even though I can and do foil in light winds to be honest its not my jam. Its ok to be out, and it gives me time to work on technique. But i'm a high wind junky. I much prefer 25+ knots any day! that goes for foiling too.

Side note. I will not be buying a production foil now or possibly ever. If my foil is harder and not as good, so be it.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Wed May 31, 2017 7:46 pm

Well 3 months on and I'm still ruined. Kiting has become less important now. It once consumed me. I had to kite when ever there was wind and would be pissed off if I missed the wind. But now I could care less. I will hunt down ideal conditions and take advantage of those conditions. But anything less than ideal and I'm not really interested.

I had hoped that the hf would re-invigorate me. But ultimately it has had had the opposite affect. Its ruined me for surface boards because the upwind angles now suck, plus I cant do the close to shore antics that I really enjoy on the normal board when on the HF..... Argh!

I'm even loosing my rock hard kiting abbs,,,, hmmm. Only been out 4 times in the last 2 months.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed May 31, 2017 8:31 pm

o come on plummet, whats her name?
;)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Hydrofoiling has ruined me a bit

Postby edt » Wed May 31, 2017 9:57 pm

3 months later and I am able to foil for 10 seconds at a time. so stoked to master this can't wait. Sorry you lost the stoke plummet, but there are other things in life, come back to kiteboarding when it excites you again.

diggles
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades
Been thanked: 0

Postby diggles » Wed May 31, 2017 11:12 pm

You could try to find yourself a flyrace board. Very hard to come by nowadays though. The guys around here (Toronto) would be out in very light wind and were still getting huge air and staying upwind. The board has a lot of range, you just adjust the dagger on the fly depending on how fast or how much upwind you want to go. Seems to be kinda what you're looking to achieve???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPSzkPmf-T0

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:01 am

plummet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 7:46 pm
I'm even loosing my rock hard kiting abbs,,,, hmmm. Only been out 4 times in the last 2 months.
We all like you here on KF....don't worry...you'll get your Mojo back...in meantime have a good laugh !

Return to “Hydrofoil”