Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer sonic2 vs ozone Chrono v2 ultralight

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: AXIS boards, Ozone kites, Moses hydrofoils, HB surfboards, Dynabar harness + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Re: Flysurfer sonic2 vs ozone Chrono v2 ultralight

Postby Frank Rosin » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:33 am

My personal experience is that I often find it more effective (needs pretty clean combination of kite flying and board/foil handling) to get up on the board and going and flying on the foil with smallish kites in light winds as I can create more explosive momentum when moving/looping.
But I assume most are expecting to get going easily with a simple powerdive when considering their light wind kite. That leads to the need for quite a bit bigger kites.
Hydrofoiling makes it possible to use a very big range of kites in the same given conditions, it's way more rider skill and preference what to choose and enjoy.
This can make it a bit difficult to give advice to other people what would be the best choice for them.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:46 am

Absolute and utter lightest wind--biggest foil kite you can get.

As soon as it picks up, I can switch to a 10m LEI.

I've tried 15m Speed3 as a light wind kite, but it's not big enough to catch all the wind, and too slow to work. 12m I find the same...

KBHF are mad.

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Bletti » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:44 am

I'm with Frank. I was pleasantly surprised with the low end of my 10m r1v1 vs my more heavily used 15m r1v1. I think I can get out in similar winds with some compromise in up/down wind angle but for free riding I now prefer the more agile 10m. But if I'm racing I'm holding onto my 15m til it's over 20kts.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 15&12, Elf 11 &7, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, Rally 6&4.
foil Ketos, Zone, OR mako, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:57 am

Blackrat wrote:I've tried foiling with an old fs3 15m , was just too big, got hauled off the front of the board with small gusts , if I was your weight I would prolly also choose the 11m
A feedback fo a back-to-back test interests me a lot as well, thanks for he topic.

My personnal feedback with 62 kg on speed3; I did know it well in large TT and directional board; but I disliked it on a hydrofoil: too heavy for very light winds, too difficult to work the kite properly (large and heavy when kite has to go upward), too power full when foiling, hard to turn when depowered; I swaped to Speed4 10m Lotus which I loved but it was a bit too weak under 8 knots ; then Pulsion 12m which is very polyvalent , fun and my prefered; then in view of its unbeatable ability to fly in almost no wind I completed with another 15m Pulsion, which I liked (one session) from about 4 knots (enough to go fast) up to 9-10 knots (too powerful then) , so but wind range is limited with my light weight; however you should not encounter the same limit with a 15m if it is a "good" model. If you target marginal winds below 6 knots, the kite shall be as light as possible (chrono2 UL, Pelican, Pulsion, Navy2, diablo if you want to high aspect ratio to optimize speed vs polyvalence, Sonic2 a bit heavier) ; and maybe assume the relative fragility...; For a beginner in foil kite I would focus on moderate Aspect Ratios to limit the probability of "problems" due to pilot errors combined to learning hydrofoils and increase relaunch abilities.

Above 6-7 knots, the light weight becomes more a comfort ( which I love including my LEI's) including relaunching from water, but you can do good sessions with "heavier" foils.

Flag53
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 10
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed

Postby Flag53 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:20 am

Thanks for the replies guys .
I'm definitely in the smaller faster turning kite camp and from what people have said I may go for the Chrono v2 UL in a 11m, sound good ?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:58 am

Flag53 wrote:Well I've not been foiling all that long but Im well and truly hooked .
Managed my first heel to toe side carve whilst staying up on the foil and then rode away for 100 yrds toe side the other day and I'm still grinning now.
Anyway back to the point , I'm looking for ultimate light wind fun 4-10 knots and both of the above kites get great reviews .
It's a lot of money to spend on one kite so I don't want to get it wrong.
Which kite would you choose and why and also I'm 86 Kg so is the 15m the right size.

Many thanks
At 86 kg and not used to foilkites, a 13-15 m2 is spot on IMO, and works for the range 4-10 knots.

An 11 m2 is really small for your weight, if you, like many suggests, prefer agile smaller kites, go for a 12 or 13 m2, NOT an 11 !

I know this sounds opposite to what I often recommend, and I also never use bigger than 11 m2 racekite myself, but I am 10 kg lighter than you, and have foils/boards made for marginal winds.

Generally I hate too big foilkites, and can get going in the same wind with a smaller one - but if you are heavier, size is needed :rollgrin:

8) PF

Flag53
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 10
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed

Postby Flag53 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:13 am

Thanks Peter , guys !

Maybe the 13m UL then ?

I can only afford to buy once so hopefully I want make a mistake on the size.

Everyone's advice is much appreciated, thanks

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m

Postby Bletti » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:25 am

Both the ul and sonic 2 are great kites but if it were me I'd go for the sonic for better low end and performance. I'd go 11m to have more top end and be able to use it in a wider range of conditions but if you're new and are most concerned with marginal wind 13m is fine too.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:52 am

New Sonic on the way...

Sonic race pro ;)

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 15&12, Elf 11 &7, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, Rally 6&4.
foil Ketos, Zone, OR mako, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:08 pm

Flag53 wrote:Maybe the 13m UL then ?
I agree with Peter and your last choice would be my choice (based on paper spec and user feedbacks) in your case between Sonic / chrono and among all sizes. You will need a 9m below for winds above approx 12 knots.

Return to “Hydrofoil”