Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer sonic2 vs ozone Chrono v2 ultralight

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 15&12, Elf 11 &7, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, Rally 6&4.
foil Ketos, Zone, OR mako, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer sonic2 vs ozone Chrono v2 ultralight

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:25 pm

Don't want to pollute the Sonic2 vs Chrono2 debate, but since you're the topic launcher ...

From what I know, in the order of increasing ratio among medium ratios:
- Flysurfer Psycho 4 (but not produced anymore from years and a bit heavy to cope with light winds)
- Flysurfer speed4 dlx (but fragile in the water and limited to 10m max)
- Concept'air Pulsion 12m (My choice last year and my preferred among what I have tested); to me it is the best hyper-light wind kite (there is a dedicated topic) ; Pulsion 15m is has a slightly higher ratio compared to 12m and I like it as well.
- HQ Matrixx 2 (very few feed back , specially on a hydrofoil, a bit heavy I think)
- Flysurfer Speed 4 Lotus (I owned one 10m and learned HF with it ) ; very good relaunch and low-wind flight but lack of agility IMO and a bit powerfull in its high range)
- Pansh Aurora II light (quite similar design as Speed4, low cost, standard cloth, so less hydrophobic material than the wonderful Lotus) ; I tested a 15m on a TT with 10 knots and is worth the money; also a light kite like the S4 Lotus.

You can have some medium-high ratio kites with :

- Little Cloud Pelican : new French kite with few feedback but good ones however ; very light in the air (similar as Pulsion and Navy 2 light) , a bit less agile than Pulsion from a tester who has both, a bit more speed certainly.
- Aero Navy 2 , to me it is similar to the Pelican but no back-to-back tests in my knowledge.
- Chrono 2 UL, simailar ratio I think, but a bit heavier than Pulsion /Navy 2 / Pelican
- Speed 5 : balanced feedback from users (but to me it is far too heavy for light riders in light winds, so I would go directly to the sonic 2 instead)

Please kindly help if i miss one.

Personally I prefer the first category to keep close to the agility of a tube kite, and particularly if it is your first foilkite; then with your skills increasing and knowing your HF style , if you are focussing on speed and upwind angle mainly (but more risk to swim back to shore), you can choose the second category or even a race kite like the good Sonic 2, Ozone R1V2, Elf, Diablo, ect ...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:17 pm

Hmmm, I think the problem is, that a lower AR foil kite for marginal winds is not produced, as the market is (was) not there...

We are many who uses the lightest high AR race kites now, to get the most out of marginal 4-6 knots wind.

Yes, you could make a bit lower AR more curved (turnable) just as light, and it would have loads of benefits for the freerider, and almost the same low end.
But such a kite would never be used by the racers, and correct me if I am wrong, but most freeriders would think it would be too fragile and not last - when using light materials and lines/bridles and partly open air intake ports.

It seems the light LEI kites, that need a tad more wind yes, are doing exceptionally well - so they will take a major part of the market for "light freeride foil kites for hydrofoils".

Earlier lower AR foil kites were too heavy for hydrofoiling in marginal winds, as well as big LEI racekites were also too heavy, so it is still a niche market as I see it :wink:

Just some thoughts :roll:

8) PF

IWB2
Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:03 pm

[quote=".[/quote]

What board and wing are you using in this wind ?

8) PF[/quote]

I was using the Spotz2 setup. - IWB2
Flag53 wrote:What's the turning speed like on the 15m UL ?

Cheers IWB2 :-)
Turing speed was perfectly fine... would describe as controlled slow with a smooth flow... this is what I would expect in ultra light winds of a kite that could actually fly in these conditions. I was not put off by the turning speed at all but rather totally blown away that this kite could actually stay up in the sky. Point to note I use a 4m hybrid c kite when riding my TT in 40+ knots so can appreciate a faster turning kite in a different setting. My recommendation is to get the race bar... perfect for on the fly trimming. Going out in sub 6knots on water runs into a higher risk of putting the kite in the water if caught in a heavy lull and botching a transition. Been there done that...

A cool comparison video done in ultra light winds just came out recently done on snow comparing the Ozone Chrono V2 15m vs the Chrono V2 Ultralight 15m... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKEp2o6fsSE Here you get an idea of the turning speed in ultralight winds.

Flag53
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 10
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed

Postby Flag53 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:41 pm

Thanks for the replies guys and definitely food for thought !

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:09 pm

IWB2 wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:
IWB2 wrote:My limited experience on the 15m ozone chrono v2 ultralight and at 70kg would choose the 15m if looking to kite in 4-10kts. The 15m I found to be very smooth in power in the light winds I was using in (with 27m lines). I too was initially concerned that this size would be far too powerful but definitely not the case. Incredible light wind performance the Ozone Ul offers. The Ozone chrono v2 11m standard model I look for 9 kts as my low. I'm guessing that if using the 11m UL model I would push to 8 knots. While the chrono v2 is great in light conditions the UL model pushes the envelope when performing in very ultralight conditions.
What board and wing are you using in this wind ?

8) PF
I was using the Spotz2 setup. - IWB2
Aaah, okay, that explains - the Spotz "race" wing needs a tad more to get going, so this is why you needed 9 knots with your 11 m2 foil kite.

You can go lower with a different wing (and maybe board), no problems with an 11 m2.

70 kg riders are able to ride with a 9 to 11 m2 normal LEI kite (less powerful) in 9 knots :thumb:

8) PF

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 15&12, Elf 11 &7, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, Rally 6&4.
foil Ketos, Zone, OR mako, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:25 am

Peter_Frank wrote:It seems the light LEI kites, that need a tad more wind yes, are doing exceptionally well - so they will take a major part of the market for "light freeride foil kites for hydrofoils".
Good analysis Peter (even if I regret this , as a lover of my medium ratio light wind foilkite).

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:57 pm

I am also 86kg and enjoy foiling in <10 knots. For me I love the 15m Sonic 2 - big enough to not require that much work but nimble enough to easily kiteloop and gybe etc. plus in 12-14 knots it's fun also on the TT.

Line length isa big factor - I've begun riding a 5m Boost 2 on 35m lines and that also works in light wind. Difference is if I drop it, it won't relaunch where the Sonic 15 will.

More than1 way to achieve what you are looking for.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:27 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:It seems the light LEI kites, that need a tad more wind yes, are doing exceptionally well - so they will take a major part of the market for "light freeride foil kites for hydrofoils".
Good analysis Peter (even if I regret this , as a lover of my medium ratio light wind foilkite).
Thanks - btw have you considered the Ultra from Airush, or are you not into these anymore ?
I remember you loved the Airush One and was dissapointed it was discontinued.
But now they come with a new one strut light kite much more refined, the "Ultra" instead (if you saw that in this thread)

8) PF

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:47 am

Whoops wrong thread...

live2play
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007

Postby live2play » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:45 am

Any more comparisons between these two kites?

Return to “Hydrofoil”