Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How frequently do you disassemble and clean your foil?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

junebug
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: Twintip
Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

How frequently do you disassemble and clean your foil?

Postby junebug » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:22 am

I ride a LF Rocket Fish in salt water. In the spring-fall, I ride about 3-4 times a week. I rinse it with a healthy dose of fresh water after every use. I disassemble it about once every 6-8 weeks, clean it with a degreaser (Blaster), slather Tef Gel on every screw, and put plumbers' tape on the interior mast to plate screws to get them nice and snug. So far, I don't see any signs of serious corrosion. I used to disassemble and clean once a month, but I'm lazy and I want to push it as long as I reasonably can.

Does this sound about right? How frequently do you disassemble and clean your foil?

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: How frequently do you disassemble and clean your foil?

Postby OzBungy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:02 am

I disassembled after every session. An assembled foil won't fit in my car and I like the neatness of having everything neatly packed in its bag. I did that with my Liquid Force and I still do it with my carbon J Shapes. The J Shapes has 4 screws for a full pack down. The Liquid Force had 13.

The other reason is that I did not want to mess around with all the water that drained out of the Liquid Force mast. I have quite a nice car and the last thing I want is salt water to drip all over the interior.

I wipe the board and foil down with a damp chamois cloth to keep everything clean and remove excess salt.

The only problem I have found is that cheap hex keys can chew out the head of the screw. I now have a couple of high quality hex keys and a heap of spare screws so that is no longer a problem.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1987
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:10 am

OzBungy wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:02 am
J Shapes has 4 screws for a full pack down. The Liquid Force had 13.
The other reason is that I did not want to mess around with all the water that drained out of the Liquid Force mast. I have quite a nice car and the last thing I want is salt water to drip all over the interior.
The only problem I have found is that cheap hex keys can chew out the head of the screw. I now have a couple of high quality hex keys and a heap of spare screws so that is no longer a problem.
13 screws to take apart, unlucky number and way to many!
A shame that L F did not take the time to factory water proof their STRUT! :roll:
Use TORX screws, bolts and a quality driver to stop damage. :idea:
R H

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:24 am

junebug wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:22 am
Snip...
Does this sound about right? How frequently do you disassemble and clean your foil?

For my carbon foils, NEVER :wink:
No need to, and they dont drip water...

But as I have a modular KETOS system with 4 wings 4 boards (5 with the windfoil, using same hydrofoils) and 2 masts and 3 stabilisers, I change the wings and masts quite often, depending on conditions and liking on the given day and sessions.

Occasionally, when having two foils in the car, AND waveboards (you never know for sure what you are going to use - foil or waveboard, when windy and waves), I have to take the boards off the foils.
Otherwise they just stay assembled in the car, even sometimes when two and you dont want to bother dissasembling one - much easier and faster this way, especially if you ride very often and sometimes take a "quickie" on your way home from work (or on your way TO work), without getting late.

Have never rinsed a carbon foil in clean water, and no damage not even on the first ones 4 years old.

For alu foils it is different - I loosen the screws, all of them, if I think I wont use it for some weeks, and also rinse with water and use tef-gel.
A few weeks assembled, and the screws, even with tef-gel, gets really hard to remove, on the verge to getting stuck for good.
No corrosion visible - but the screws still get stuck way before these visible signs, as the galvanic corrosion comes pretty fast, and as a surprise.
Does not happen on carbon foils, thus never rinsed or dissasembled on purpose.

In short:
Carbon foils, no need for ever rinsing or dissasembling these if the quality is okay.
For alu, dissasemble and rinse (and maybe tef-gel) at least once a month is my recommendation.

8) PF

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:21 am

aluminum set up, fresh water region, I'll do a full take a apart and re lube once mid summer, then once more for winter storage.

Take apart the fuse to strut for transport every session, and snug the bolts in the top of the plate every couple weeks.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:27 pm

junebug wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:22 am
I ride a LF Rocket Fish in salt water. In the spring-fall, I ride about 3-4 times a week. I rinse it with a healthy dose of fresh water after every use. I disassemble it about once every 6-8 weeks, clean it with a degreaser (Blaster), slather Tef Gel on every screw, and put plumbers' tape on the interior mast to plate screws to get them nice and snug. So far, I don't see any signs of serious corrosion. I used to disassemble and clean once a month, but I'm lazy and I want to push it as long as I reasonably can.

Doesn't your foil clean itself everytime you ride it? :rollgrin:

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 and 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board

Postby Johhnn » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:35 pm

I've had the AlpineFoil carbon 4.5 for 3 years. I kept the fuselage/wing/stabilizer together as a unit, but disassembled the mast/fuse/board connection each session and didn't rinse it. I was very careful about keeping sand out of it, though. Once a year I took everything apart to travel. No problems.

I've got the new AlpineFoil with the Ti fuselage now. That one I'm rinsing off with fresh water after each session. I applied a tiny amount of marine grease to the screws before assembling everything the first time.

bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Umina Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, lawn mowing
Gear: BRM Cloud C2's, D's

Slingshot Skim Board, North Surfboards, BRM Paipo, Shinn Shinnster/Jackson, Firewire Boards, CrazyFly Doors, Zeeko Carver/Spitfire Foils, Naish Hover 155

Postby bigtone667 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:00 pm

Never.... sure it will come back and haunt me at some stage.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Disassembled the LF every session (because it had a convenient bag) except for the mast/plate bolts which were stuck because of galvanic corrosion. They failed eventually--the heads pulled off--so I got them mostly drilled out and replaced.

With the SS I never took it in salt water, so I left it completely set up (sans board) and just loosened off then retightened the bolts every now and then . . .

Tried TefGel-type stuff on the mast/plate bolts but they got loose too quickly, and tried Loctite Blue on the LF mast/fuse bolts but that stuff just turned gunky and disappeared, leaving a gooey stain behind :D

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m

Postby Bletti » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:29 pm

Zeeko recommends every two weeks to disassemble and tgel everything except for the plate mast screws. Might be overkill but I've been following it more or less.

Return to “Hydrofoil”