Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Sea conditions you'd give up foiling and oppt TT or surfboard

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos, Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Gear: Cabrinha, Liquid force, Moses hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Sea conditions you'd give up foiling and oppt TT or surfboard

Postby abel » Thu May 18, 2017 9:07 am

I have the feeling that I'm missing HFoiling sessions because I don't bring the Hfoil with the rest of the equipment, based on the weather conditions.
Mainly because I don't want to leave it alone on the beach or the car (might "dissapear").

When do you give up Hfoiling and opt for a 'regular' board (TT, Surf,..) over Hydrofoil based on the sea conditions? (I wish I'd had a lake nearby :-? )
Too much wind? Too choppy? Wave frequency/higth too high? :roll:

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Sea conditions you'd give up foiling and oppt TT or surfboard

Postby Tone » Thu May 18, 2017 9:38 am

over 20 knots I don't normally bother as the sea state gets nasty where I live.

We don't have any waves at all so that's not an issue.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Thu May 18, 2017 10:35 am

Over 17 knots and good waves I'd rather be on the surfboard. Over 17 Ina slick and I'd rather be on a TT.

Crazy not to bring the foil every time, especially if it's more than a 5 min drive.

MattyM
Rare Poster
Gear: Slingshot / F-One

Postby MattyM » Thu May 18, 2017 10:36 am

Only one way to crack foiling - I ONLY take my foil board when I go kiting at the moment. Then I have no choice but use it. Works - you know ;-)

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu May 18, 2017 11:08 am

About 20 knots, as I can only be bothered trying to ride directional or TT in those conditions . . . and we don't often get more than 20, so it's mostly foiling if we get wind at all. Luckily, I can leave whatever I like at our beaches and not worry about theft.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:18 pm

The only conditions where I wouldn't foil are perfect offshore flatwater for boosting or speed runs. 30 knots + waves is a friggin BLAST! We had violent conditions at the Martha's Vineyard cup last fall, rode a 7m Edge and had a fantastic time.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and Board
Flysurfer Sonic2 9m,11m,15m,18m
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Thu May 18, 2017 3:25 pm

When it's blowing 20 kts we usually have 2'-3' chop and I go for a twintip instead of the foil. On those same days Mossy is having a great time foiling.

I've wondered if the difference was he was on a sword 2 (stiff mast and very stable) while I was on a spotz2 (flexy mast and not stable, but very fast). I'm in the market for a new foil and interested to see if the newer, more stable race foils will make me change my mind about foiling in >20 knots.

haare
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Lahti, Finland
Favorite Beaches: Egypt - Marsa Alam
Style: snowskite, freestyle
Gear: Pansh A15 12m
FS Speed 3 15m
FS Speed 15m
FS Split L
Liquid force foil Fish

Postby haare » Thu May 18, 2017 3:31 pm

I try to foil always when we have wind. It is extremely rare however for our place to have winds over 18 knots. Typical conditions are wind 6-12 knots and gusts 10-25. Gusts are normally around +100%. It is very hard with hydrofoil to cope with those gusts. But when we have wind 6-8 knots. It is very nice to be the only one able to kite.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu May 18, 2017 4:44 pm

abel wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 9:07 am
I have the feeling that I'm missing HFoiling sessions because I don't bring the Hfoil with the rest of the equipment, based on the weather conditions.
Mainly because I don't want to leave it alone on the beach or the car (might "dissapear").

When do you give up Hfoiling and opt for a 'regular' board (TT, Surf,..) over Hydrofoil based on the sea conditions? (I wish I'd had a lake nearby :-? )
Too much wind? Too choppy? Wave frequency/higth too high? :roll:

Almost never !

Too much wind ? Not if you got small kites :thumb: (In fact too much wind can be where it is REALLY choppy, thus foiling the best)
Too choppy ? Nope, in fact it is reversed, you have to give up riding on other boards if too choppy, and the foils excel max here :thumb:
Wave height ? Not really as the bigger the better (to some extent of course) :thumb:
Gusty changing winds ? Nope, a foil has much more range, and not as sensitive with the smaller kites we use :thumb:

It is easier to say when I DONT foil: On these rare days (1 out of 10) with good 5-8 m2 sideshore wind and good waves, then it is surfboards.
But sometimes when out on these, I think "hmmm wish I was on my foil here too" ha haa !

Dont forget to bring your foil on these days - have experienced many times the wind has backed off, so suddenly PERFECT foil waves, big and really clean (low winds).
So we are several now, taking both in the car these days, when driving a bit for the spot.

Only one thing can make me NOT choose a
foil, and that is when loads of seaweed :(
Can happen many weeks in late summer, some years, but often you can find spots without even if loaded at other spots.
This is by far the major funkiller I know, it is the only one in terms of foiling for me :naughty:

If I ride at a spot I dont know, I would never take my foil though, as I dont know what is under the surface - but that goes for surfboards too so no difference (except the cost if you hit something) :wink:

8) PF

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Thu May 18, 2017 7:21 pm

Ive mastered the foil control in flatwater / low chop but when it gets around 20 knots here you get really high chop and to be up on the foil constantly its a real challenge, i dont know if this is because im on a 91cm mast but i cannot get enough speed and get enough stability to stay on the foil, because the big chop its also always pulling on the foil in a different direction im going. Of course this needs more pratice but its really different from foiling in easier water conditions.

Return to “Hydrofoil”