Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Sea conditions you'd give up foiling and oppt TT or surfboard

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue May 23, 2017 12:15 pm

grigorib wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 8:59 pm
Several possible conditions (or their combination) for me to switch to TT
Snip...
- wind under 7 knots - when kite wants some of attention to keep flying and I'd rather have my feet in my Flydoor XL straps

Why ?

Not sure I understand above :roll:
Unless there is something not said (written), like you only ride close to the beach and only got low water or similar.

I would choose the opposite without doubt, meaning the foil instead of the Flydoor XL, in marginal winds where difficult to keep the kite flying, as no problem once you are on the foil.

8) PF

grigorib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Ogden Dunes, IN; Michigan City, IN; South Haven, MI; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 8m/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m/15m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m, Best Kahoona 11.5m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Spleene Door 59, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, MHL Lift 2013, Slingshot Ghost Whisper 42"/545/328, Moses 71cm/548/325, Lift 150/36", Slingshot Dwarfcrafts 42"/54", Slingshot Coupe 6', Ocean Rodeo Mako 135, MBS Comp 95x

Postby grigorib » Wed May 24, 2017 4:46 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 12:15 pm
grigorib wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 8:59 pm
Several possible conditions (or their combination) for me to switch to TT
Snip...
- wind under 7 knots - when kite wants some of attention to keep flying and I'd rather have my feet in my Flydoor XL straps

Why ?

Not sure I understand above :roll:
Unless there is something not said (written), like you only ride close to the beach and only got low water or similar.

I would choose the opposite without doubt, meaning the foil instead of the Flydoor XL, in marginal winds where difficult to keep the kite flying, as no problem once you are on the foil.

8) PF
Basically when the kite takes active steering to barely keep up in the air I'd prefer to be able to stay in straps. Like when I focus not to drop a kite I want to be able not to pay any attention to the board. The foil in these winds would perform better until first wipeout usually. Especially in shallow water - biting the bottom isn't fun :)

foilonfoil
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: El Segundo, CA / Torrance, CA / San Pedro, CA / Belmont Shore, CA / Seal Beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: Event Site, Hood River, OR / Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sherman Island, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 2 FR 11/13/15/18, Core Section 5/7/9/12, Alpinefoil 4.5/5.0 Carbon / Spotz Shark

Postby foilonfoil » Wed May 24, 2017 6:55 pm

I foil in all conditions if only because I want the skill to handle all conditions. Learning how to ride up and down swells is actually lots of fun all by itself.

bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Umina Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah
Style: surf, foiling, lawn mowing
Gear: BRM Cloud C2's, .5's, D's and few old BWS kites

Slingshot Skim Boards, North Surfboards, BRM Paipo, Shinn El Stubbo/Shinnster/Jackson, Firewire Boards, CrazyFly Doors, Zeeko Carver/Spitfire Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:56 pm

Usually the only limiting factor for me is water depth. Mind you, I have never attempted coming down a wave any larger than four foot!!

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Fri May 26, 2017 1:59 am

Really the only time I'd choose to not foil is because there's not enough water to get out and get going.

That usually means very light dead onshore winds. It's too light to drag out and every water start drags me back onto the sand bar. I am looking at getting a better light wind kite to solve that problem. I have also started going to a different beach so that the wind is on a slightly better angle.

The converse is often true when it's very strong and dead onshore and the shorebreak make it difficult to get out on any kind of board. I choose a surfboard for those days and have fun ripping about.

I am also thinking about getting a 70cm mast for a bit more foiling versatility.

I sometimes get the surfboard or TT out just for pure novelty value. It's just fun to do when you don't do it very often. It is very rewarding to know that the boosting and slashing skills don't degrade much. With the vastly expanded riding opportunities gained from the foil I now get so many sessions that it's easy to spend one on a surfboard or TT when the conditions are a bit less than ideal.

I aspire to riding the foil in clean surf. So far I have only had frothy messy surf in the ocean so I have used the surfboard in that case. The foil makes wind blown bay swells quite fun so I am getting a fair bit of wave action as it is.

I am two years and 200 hours into foiling and my core skills are getting quite solid. But tacking and flying foot switches remain somewhat elusive. There's heaps of room to progress but I can still have fun refining the riding, jumping and carving skills. It's a win, win, win situation.

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo Kites, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards, 24Surf.pl
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF, Cabrinha

Postby BraCuru » Fri May 26, 2017 11:04 am

Same as OzBungy - I could not foil only during onshore wind less than 8kts (countable on the beach) - anyway a TT or surfboard would be useless.
I quit with TT in 2010, raceboards in 2015 and last time I used surfboard was once in 2015 (after one hour I was back on foilboard).

I haven't been stopped by strong winds in last three years despite we had a couple of stormes at Baltic.
In my mind just a matter of hours on the water.

Return to “Hydrofoil”