Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: Twintip
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Upgrading my foil setup / LF foil fish

Postby danidr » Fri May 26, 2017 6:51 pm

Hi!!

Starting to finally enjoy foiling after being a bit more consistent with time on the water. I've been going earlier to the beach to catch the lower wind and I've really improved, to the point that I'm looking to change a few things on my setup now that I know better about foiling. My target is not to race or be at the bleeding edge, just be able to go out in lower winds and cruise the bay. My current level is I'm able to cruise upwind and downwind quite stable without touching down, and manage to nail a few touchdown gybes, which I find much easier strapless, since I ride my surfboard without straps and my fish foil board only has the center strap, and I keep stepping on it.

I have the original LF foil fish 'orange' setup (2015?) which I bought used, with the original shovel wing. After my first few sessions I upgraded the fuselage to the longer one, carbon fiber and instantly starting progressing faster. I'm thinking of two upgrades I want, but I'm unsure if it's the way to go and/or if to make them at the same time.

- Change the board to a happy foil board, with rails. The reasoning for this is the rails and the fact that I can have two front straps, which I think will make it easier for me to change feet on the board as I don't have a strap on the center of the board.

- Get the medium aspect wings. I believe these are compatible with my fuselage and will allow me to get a bit more stability at speed and a bit better upwind (the low aspect wings seem to slow down easily if you push them too hard.

So... my dilemma is, after looking at this, it looks like it'd be cheaper to just buy the happy foil with the new version of the mast, fuselage and wings, and maybe just keep the carbon fuselage, and sell all my old setup, since at the end I'd just be using the mast :/ If I end up changing all, I could also get a happy foil and hoverglide for just US$ 1,500, but I'm unsure of which foil is better for my skill and future progression.

Too many choices! Any recommendations from the guys that have already went through this?

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Upgrading my foil setup / LF foil fish

Postby Starsky » Fri May 26, 2017 7:24 pm

If your not apposed to selling what you have, I'd sell the foil with the long fuse in good conscience and look into some foils built by companies with better developed products.

The slingy looks like a good foil, but its literally the heaviest on the market. The happy foil looks like LF have learned a little, but it's got nothing on the zeeko for quality and refinement in both design and production for near the same price.

borist
Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Fri May 26, 2017 8:05 pm

Happy foil board is a good choice. I've seen one up close although did not ride it yet. SS foil as mentioned will work, but I second Zeeko as a more refined alternative. Depending where you are located however, it may not be as easy to get though.

danidr
Medium Poster

Postby danidr » Fri May 26, 2017 8:24 pm

I can't get any of them where I live, I gotta get them shipped from the US doesn't matter which one it is. What online shops carry the Zeeko? I normally buy at MACKiteboarding but they don't seem to have it.

blu
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Cayo Coco
Gear: Ozone Slingshot Cabrinha Nobile Lift LF

Postby blu » Fri May 26, 2017 8:30 pm

check out 2017 Lift foils
I just got one 150 with 32" mast
https://www.liftfoils.com/

danidr
Medium Poster

Postby danidr » Fri May 26, 2017 8:54 pm

blu wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 8:30 pm
That's expensive!! Put's me out of US$ 2,500. If I sell my current LF foil setup for US$ 500-700 I'd still have to chip in 2k.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri May 26, 2017 9:34 pm

Zeeko have a US dealer. Go to their site, click retailers.

bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Umina Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, lawn mowing
Gear: BRM Cloud C2's, D's

Slingshot Skim Board, North Surfboards, BRM Paipo, Shinn Shinnster/Jackson, Firewire Boards, CrazyFly Doors, Zeeko Carver/Spitfire Foils, Naish Hover 155

Postby bigtone667 » Fri May 26, 2017 9:55 pm

Had the fishfoil and upgraded to the SS hoverglide.
Had the SS hoverglide and upgraded to the Zeeko blue/white.
Had the Zeeko blue/white and added the Carver Wing.... freeride heaven!!

blu
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Cayo Coco
Gear: Ozone Slingshot Cabrinha Nobile Lift LF

Postby blu » Fri May 26, 2017 10:20 pm

danidr wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 8:54 pm
blu wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 8:30 pm
That's expensive!! Put's me out of US$ 2,500. If I sell my current LF foil setup for US$ 500-700 I'd still have to chip in 2k.
you don't have to buy the board, foil only (mast and wings) are US$ 1300
good price for carbon

tegirinenashi
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Cabrinha CO2 9.5m, Naish x2 14m, Litewave 161

Postby tegirinenashi » Sat May 27, 2017 12:04 am

One feature that LF got right, and nobody seemed to copy yet, is open holes in the plate for mounting. Assembly/disassembly can't be quicker. Turn each bolt 360 degrees or so. Slide bolts in/out of the plate pockets. Leave bolts in their nut/holders (with small mod to not allow them slide towards the middle opening and get lost).

Return to “Hydrofoil”