Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Advice for flying a LEI

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

gbrungra
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Stinky's, San Diego, CA, USA, and Nantucket, MA, USA
Gear: Griffin 17m TRX 2014, Cabrihna 12m Vector 2014, TTs, Camet 160 and SS Hoverglide
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Advice for flying a LEI

Postby gbrungra » Tue May 30, 2017 4:26 am

If we are talking about ultimate setup, not just LEI tips, then we could wish for a set of long racing lines. Less drag than normal lines, way less drag than the connections to lone extensions. Less drag means lines stay straighter with less tension (depowered), so more responsive kite, even when fully depowered.

As far as tips, fly with only top (back) hand on the bar, and move it a little farther from center than usual, so there is some slight, steady "upward" pull on the kite to keep it level?

bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Umina Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, lawn mowing
Gear: BRM Cloud C2's, D's

Slingshot Skim Board, North Surfboards, BRM Paipo, Shinn Shinnster/Jackson, Firewire Boards, CrazyFly Doors, Zeeko Carver/Spitfire Foils, Naish Hover 155, Naish Thrust Surf Foil, Konrad Foil

Postby bigtone667 » Tue May 30, 2017 6:00 am

sedluk wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 2:16 am
I am finding that when I am using a LEI, I am using my Boost 2 kites. I naturally drop the kite down to around 9 or 3 o'clock. This works great with my foil kites, they still have very good steering and I rarely get them wet.

I find that when I do this with the LEI, I find that when the kite gets depowered, the steering gets sloppy and the kite feels front heavy and want to drop into the water. I have been working on keeping the kite up a little higher but wanted to get some advice from other people riding foil boards.

I assume other people are experiencing this, one idea is try an even smaller kite so that the kite is depowered less. The trouble is the wind is up and down, often I would be unable to get going and if I drift to shore, it is all trees and I have to water land and walk in the water along the shore back to the water launch site.
I have had this problem occur to me a few times due to the rear lines being a tad long. I shortened the rear lines and my problem was resolved.

jaros
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby jaros » Tue May 30, 2017 7:42 am

Just a tought, but maybe if you have to depower your kite that much, you should be on a smaller size?

Mitaka
Medium Poster
Style: wave riding
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, BRM Cloud C5, F-One MITU, KETOS Wave & Wave XL foil + Pocket 107 & 118 foilboard

Postby Mitaka » Tue May 30, 2017 8:59 am

jaros wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 7:42 am
Just a tought, but maybe if you have to depower your kite that much, you should be on a smaller size?
Exactly :thumb:

If you are not a passionate fan on high speed and extreme upwind angles you should be on a smaller kite!

Once you are up and foiling you create a lot of apparent wind and I suppose that you are quickly overpowered. You depower the kite (and worsen his flying characteristics) but since you find difficulties to keep it higher I suppose that you are still overpowered. When overpowered it is difficult to keep the kite higher on foil because it lifts you up, you are lighter on the foil and you loose control. Your only option is to keep the kite low and lean back but since you do not like this you should learn to use a smaller kite.

When I started foiling I used a 12 m kite for 9-10 knots, later - a 10m and now I can ride with 8m in the same conditions.

There are two key elements to master in order to be on a smaller kite - waterstart and transitions and usually people choose bigger kites because of difficulties with one of them or both. For waterstarting you should fly the kite aggressively (figure 8 or loops) in order to create a lot of apparent wind and you should help the kite to lift you up by bending your knees (because of reduced leverage the kite needs less power to lift you up on the board). When doing transition you should learn to use downloops when needed. Many people think that downlooping is only for low wind but in fact you should always use downloop when you are at the lower end of the wind range of your current kite.

Once you master waterstarting and transitions with downloops you will be able to ride comfortably with smaller kites which are much more fun to ride :D

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 and 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board

Postby Johhnn » Tue May 30, 2017 11:01 am

Thanks OP. I have had this same problem with my LEI's and foiling and I therefore never use them. Going along on a reach, with the kite low, the kite always want to dip more towards the water, no matter where I place my hand on the bar. And the steering of the kite feels very sloppy and loose. I tried adjusting the bridle settings, but it's no better. I thought I might like to try a Boost 2 kite because someone wrote that the handling is similar to the FS foils. I won't bother.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Tue May 30, 2017 5:03 pm

This seems like a self limiting problem.

Those that have foil kites and are used to flying them low and loaded up are going straight and fast. You can't really carve well with the kite low and loaded..... they suit foil kites, bam done.

Those that fly LEI kites are less inclined to be in it for speed than carving. You generally need the kite higher and able to drift to carve well, so they naturally fly their LEI's higher where they don't have to be so sheeted out and wanting to dive.

If your flying your LEI low and loaded enough to bother you, your miss matched.

Foiling has already diversified,and it's spectrum is more bipolar than gradual. Big foil kite, short line, race hydrofoil guys ride diametrically opposite to the people on small LEI, normal to longer lines, minimal boards and freeride hydrofoils. The only people in the middle are the guys like the OP who are still in the process of figuring it out. Miss matched gear makes for aggravating or awkward sessions, unless your still new to foiling, in which case you get foil face anyway.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue May 30, 2017 11:02 pm

Very well put Starsky :thumb:

In fact more often than not, riders are "mismatched" even after years of foiling, while trying to figure out what they like and how things work.

For some it comes easy, for others it takes many years, just the way it is :wink:

The kitetype, the lines, the wings, the boards, has to match the style you like and execute, to obtain balance and max pleasure :naughty:

And agree, somehow when this balance is found, there is not much "in between", but very polarised indeed.
Thus in many senses even more different than TT versus Waveboards, and hard to find any common things when riding out there :rollgrin:

8) PF

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Wed May 31, 2017 2:27 am

I was out again today and the winds here in Ohio are very up and down. I find that when I pass through a lull, the kite starts to go nose down, then when the wind picks up, I am bordering on overpowered and by turning the kite up, it becomes more overpowered. We get decent wind occasionally, more often you can see the bands of higher wind across the lake, mixed in with lulls and calmer water.

Everyone's advice helps, it is tough to kiteboard on an inland lake with gusty wind and it seems even more challenging on a hydrofoil board but I am getting better and having fun.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Wed May 31, 2017 11:14 pm

sedluk wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 2:27 am
I was out again today and the winds here in Ohio are very up and down. I find that when I pass through a lull, the kite starts to go nose down, then when the wind picks up, I am bordering on overpowered and by turning the kite up, it becomes more overpowered. We get decent wind occasionally, more often you can see the bands of higher wind across the lake, mixed in with lulls and calmer water.

Everyone's advice helps, it is tough to kiteboard on an inland lake with gusty wind and it seems even more challenging on a hydrofoil board but I am getting better and having fun.
I was out in similar conditions a few times, and i found out that is much better to have a small kite in those conditions then to have a big one, which was what i would normaly choose on a TT.

Get a kite that have just enough to get you out of the water and build some speed with a few strokes, then just park it, if a gust hits, you will be ok, if a lull hits, just stroke it again out of it.

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:45 pm

phpBB [video]

I think this video does a great job of explaining the differences between LEI and ram airs when foiling.

Everyone's advice has helped, I think the thing that I leaned most was to use a smaller kite. Sometimes easier said than done but it really helps. People will say use a smaller kite and get that thing working to get started. We are talking about getting that kite working like "crazy" just to get up on the foil. If you do that, then you have much more control with the kite when you are up on the foil.

Return to “Hydrofoil”