Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko foil
GK Trix
Enduro9
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

recommend a GPS app to track your session

Postby bragnouff » Mon May 29, 2017 9:59 am

Got a waterproof Android smartphone that I try to carry with me while foiling, and I wonder if there's any good app to log/track the session, distance, Vmax, etc... and plot the trajectory afterwards on Google Earth, get the polar graphs ... Something easy ideally, turn on before the session, turn off afterwards.
Thanks!

f2020
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Phuket
Favorite Beaches: Phuket
Style: Kitefoil Performance and freeride
Gear: Taaroa Sword RS
Taaroa Sword2
Ozone R1V2
Cabrinha Switchblade
RRD Passion MK9
Brand Affiliation: NONE

Re: recommend a GPS app to track your session

Postby f2020 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:06 pm

The best GPS watch for kitesurfing is the Locosys GW60. It was specially designed for speed water sport. It's waterproof and sturdy. The GPS works at 5hz (it computes your location 5 times per second) as opposed to 1hz for all smartphone or other smartwatch so that it is much more accurate. It also calculates your speed listening to the Doppler effect of the satellite frequencies (no smartphone or other other smartwatch do this) so that you see your speed almost instantaneously.

http://www.locosystech.com/product.php? ... g/Windsurf

Once you get your speed. One of the best app is GPS Action replay. It can computes your polar.

http://gpsactionreplay.free.fr

Otherwise on the simple side KiteTracker app on iPhone and android is good.

http://www.kitetracker.com/gps/livemap

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Eltreato » Mon May 29, 2017 6:25 pm

I'm using Strava and track it with all my other sports.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m

Postby TomW » Mon May 29, 2017 10:21 pm

I was looking at that locosys gw60 today. It's 250 usd here, is is stated at waterproof ATM 5, (50m) which means it will die in water if you fall down doing 20 knots and put your arm down as you fall. You'll need ATM 10 to survive over time.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Mon May 29, 2017 10:34 pm

I use strava as well. it's pretty much *the* app for cycling so there's a huge community that uses it. works well for kiting as well.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, LF, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Mon May 29, 2017 10:39 pm

If you are interested in accuracy phone-GPS usually won't satisfy you. The problem is that tracking software reads location with software calls which do not include timestamp of location calculation. So phones ask time on separate call. And sleep some time and ask those again.

Result of this you sometimes get 2 locations to same second (gpx-file std accuracy = 1s) , then you log might skip one second. Why bother with this? You say you are interested in vmg which is speed-figure. Without accurate location and -time you get a lot speed jitter. And incorrect vmg readings.

No big deal? Incorrect. If you ride 10m/s = 36km/h = 20mph. You get 3 location readings where first two are on same timestamp. Analysis-software reads first timestamp, skips the second because of same timestamp and reads third on timestamp+1s. Suddenly it reports you 20m/s = 72km/h = 40mph speeds because calculation displays you have moved 20m with-in 1 second.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko foil
GK Trix
Enduro9
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Postby bragnouff » Mon May 29, 2017 11:40 pm

Thanks everyone, I know the GPS on the phone won't be as good as a dedicated one, but I'm at the moment mostly interested in tracking a bit my session, and collect a few info. I already carry a phone, typically for contingency (I'm swimming / walk-of-shame'ing, gonna be late for school pickup...), or to take pictures along the way, so it would be good to make use of the onboard GPS, without needing another device. I'll try Strava for a start. :thumb:

cwood
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Mon May 29, 2017 11:59 pm

I have a polar m400 and quite like it. Easy to synch and seems quite accurate....plus I hate not knowing what time it is on the water.

wil
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Raglan, Tauranga New Zealand
Favorite Beaches: Aitutaki
Style: free ride
Gear: Switch Kites and Decay boards, Naish Venturi, NJS CF6, Makaira Zeeko foil, Home made foil Clearwater creations wings

Postby wil » Tue May 30, 2017 9:33 pm

who has tried the tom tom cardio watch

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Wed May 31, 2017 5:21 pm

Think twice before buying a Polar GPS device. Their server (or is it their software?) is down. And that's not the first time.

If I were to give only one advice to someone looking for a watch, it's to choose one that enables you to download the track directly to your PC, without the obligation to be connected to internet and the brands' server. You should be able to opt out of having your tracks in the cloud.
The concept (unfortunately shared with other brands who "own" your data) of having to be connected to internet in order to see and download one's track on the computer is idiotic. There are many cases when users kiting or hiking in remote areas have no internet connection.

If Polar bothered, they could easily solve their recurrent problem amending its Polar Sync program so tracks can be downloaded locally, like in the old Garmin days.
Forcing users to share their data in the cloud isn't a sound idea IMO. Should be an option, no more.

Check the major issue with Polar (that other brands must have experienced as well):

https://www.facebook.com/PolarGlobal/po ... 6769849915
2017-05-31_174837.jpg
2017-06-01_002545.jpg
And that just had to happen the day I did a 42 km session after changing my Zeeko Carver wing for a smaller one and badly wanted to see the effect on the speed polar and VMG. :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:
Last edited by alexrider on Wed May 31, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hydrofoil”