Kiting since: 2014
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: recommend a GPS app to track your session

Postby cwood » Wed May 31, 2017 6:12 pm

alexrider wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 5:21 pm
Think twice before buying a Polar GPS device. Their server (or is it their software?) is down. And that's not the first time.

If I were to give only one advice to someone looking for a watch, it's to choose one that enables you to download the track directly to your PC, without the obligation to be connected to internet and the brands' server. You should be able to opt out of having your tracks in the cloud.
The concept (unfortunately shared with other brands who "own" your data) of having to be connected to internet in order to see and download one's track on the computer is idiotic. There are many cases when users kiting or hiking in remote areas have no internet connection.

If Polar bothered, they could easily solve their recurrent problem amending its Polar Sync program so tracks can be downloaded locally, like in the old Garmin days.
Forcing users to share their data in the cloud isn't a sound idea IMO. Should be an option, no more.

Check the major issue with Polar (that other brands must have experienced as well):

https://www.facebook.com/PolarGlobal/po ... 6769849915

And that just had to happen the day I did a 42 km session after changing my Zeeko Carver wing for a smaller one and badly wanted to see the effect on the speed polar and VMG. :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:
Interesting...have never had an issue. I did have an issue with one of the buttons on my watch...out of warranty and they sent me a new one no questions asked. I valued that.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Wed May 31, 2017 6:31 pm

The hardware is not to blame. That's the shame.
If they don't solve the problem quickly, the decent thing they should do is to send a little utility (with driver) to transfer the data from the watch to the PC. I always fear servers can fail (and be hacked) and that's the reason I am systematically exporting gpx and tcx from the brand's sites (e.g. Polar Flow for Polar). But since the recent breakdown, I don't have my last tracks. That's why I should be able to get them without going through their site.
BTW I've ordered the GT-60. I hope it's possible to download directly via USB cables with it.
cwood wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 6:12 pm
alexrider wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 5:21 pm
Think twice before buying a Polar GPS device. Their server (or is it their software?) is down. And that's not the first time.
:angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:
Interesting...have never had an issue. I did have an issue with one of the buttons on my watch...out of warranty and they sent me a new one no questions asked. I valued that.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:01 pm

Can only recommend the GW60, really heavy duty and it has exactly what is needed, and not TOO big like many are.

With the new SW release a month ago the missing options we also would love, has been added - and it is spot on MADE for speed of course with the max speed and 1 second and 2 second and 500 m and so on, speeds that you can see without pushing any buttons when set up for you, but assume everybody knows this from gps-speedsurfing.com where the kite and windsurf "speed riders" has developed and told the software guys at locosys exactly what is needed, this is one of the best teamworks I've seen, awesome :thumb:

The GT-31 was perfect in this respect too, but old fashioned so not in a modern wrist watch design, so great to see something that just works - using mine every session out both waveriding and hydrofoiling, maybe just as a normal watch sometimes :naughty:

8) PF

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:10 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:01 pm
Can only recommend the GW60, really heavy duty and it has exactly what is needed, and not TOO big like many are.
8) PF
Yes, Peter.
But you didn't mention the most appreciated features that non of the big brands have (as far as I know):
- direct upload to the computer without the need to be connected to internet (imagine you're in a remote island of the Pacific)
- Doppler GPS

BTW, GPS Action Replay, which can read Locosys spb native files as well as GPX, is the best software to analyse track data, and the only one provide polar and VMG plots.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m

Postby TomW » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:35 pm

I dug up a Suunto Ambit Peak we had collecting dust in our sample drawer at work. Back from the days i worked on smartwatches.
Had to get a new band and then update the firmware.
Setting it up and getting it to sync with my android phone was a PIA. took 2 hours.
Then first 2 sessions i either didnt start it, it has strange UX where you start your exercise and then have to start it again...i guess its for the millisecond geeks. other problem is that it stopped session by my wrist pressing button, im wearing gloves.
Last 2 sessions it worked and it was interesting to see my speed and distances.

Return to “Hydrofoil”