A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Foot Hooks Rip Off MHL Deck

Postby NYKiter » Tue May 30, 2017 6:13 pm

Buddy of mine ripped a hole in his deck using foot hooks ...apparently it tore the anchor off the glass. Anyone else have this issue? Wonder if spring tension would be better..

danidr
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: Twintip
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foot Hooks Rip Off MHL Deck

Postby danidr » Tue May 30, 2017 7:42 pm

NYKiter wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 6:13 pm
Buddy of mine ripped a hole in his deck using foot hooks ...apparently it tore the anchor off the glass. Anyone else have this issue? Wonder if spring tension would be better..
I broke a foot hook by landing on it while doing a tack. Did your friend use two screws and the metal plate thats used to distribute the load on the two holes?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m

Postby TomW » Tue May 30, 2017 10:02 pm

I have foothooks, and build boards. There's a lot of torque on foothook inserts. If the hook is very stiff it's going to one day cause a problem. if it's more flexy, hopefully it will give before breaking out the inserts. I suspect that's why Slingshot foothooks are flexible.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue May 30, 2017 10:32 pm

So true, a foothook is by far the very worst mechanical "connection" possible :roll:

Almost a perfect crowbar to rip the insert or deck apart :(

So anything that can distribute, and flex, is way better on a foot hook in order to avoid damage.

A normal footstrap has very little mechanical stress, compared, as it has the force pulling almost in the deck direction, instead of up like a crowbar, thus much stronger in this respect.

So a foothook is much harder on the board/inserts, no doubt at all, no matter what.

On the other hand, you could also say: If it has ripped your deck, isnt that better than your foot getting stuck and ripped ?

Dont know, but the crowbar effect is one reason why I havent used foothooks - the other is, when you have learned foiling, strapless is often chosen, and for jumping foothooks are not worth much, compared to straps :wink:

8) PF

salvino
Frequent Poster

Postby salvino » Wed May 31, 2017 3:21 am

Peter, can you elaborate on jumping re hooks versus footstraps. I'm new to foiling and have yet to jump. Now I have foil kite and foot hooks to try the jumping experience. I've onto ridden strapless so far. Wrong direction?

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, North, Ozone, MikesLab, Taaroa

Postby cglazier » Wed May 31, 2017 3:53 am

I briefly tried foothooks and found them very uncomfortable. And as Peter says they can put stress on your footstrap inserts that no board was ever meant to withstand.

Persoanlly I ride with three straps as do most of my friends. We all like to jump and do other tricks that require straps. And I find that going really fast requires straps.

I rode my hydrofoil strapless for a year and it was fun.. so if that is what you like fine. But it was limiting for me. Straps give me much more solid control.

Choose straps or strapless but ditch the foothooks after you get past the beginner stage.

Just my opinion.

;-)
CG

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1987
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Wed May 31, 2017 11:36 am

Easy foot hook fixation fix, M6 dome head all the way through board, bolt on top with plate of some sort to add stiffness, will never pull thru.
I have not and choose not to put my feet in straps except for when jumping, just see no need.
And allthough flying strapless most of the time a Front foot hook mounted about 3 cms further than normal stance just helps for water start board control and foot placement in chop and waves and or strong gusty wind!
R H

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NYKiter » Wed May 31, 2017 12:26 pm

We were all surprised the glass coat on top of the carbon weave was the only thing holding the anchor on....he had it mounted correctly in line with stringer

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed May 31, 2017 3:41 pm

plastic inert plug with metal threads or all-metal insert? if plastic maybe poor bond to stringer...
Either way, seems like foothooks might need to be made more springy instead of stronger. And more attachments...

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NYKiter » Wed May 31, 2017 5:19 pm

He was using Slingys btw....

Return to “Hydrofoil”