Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Cabrinha double agent vs LF Rocket/Happy

Postby danidr » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:56 pm

dorpadon wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:14 pm
tegirinenashi wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:13 pm
You are getting double agent on sale, 2016 or 2017?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DCCgTiTdFQ
Depending how you look at it, longer mast and other improvements may be worth couple hundred $.
(The same thing is true for LF which second generation is noticeably improved over the first one).
I am getting the 2017
I'd go for the Cab, I tried it a few times once I already knew how to foil and it was not so different than the LF. It should be ok to learn on and you should be able to get rid of it easily for a similar price as the used priced you payed for it as long as you don't damage it, there's always someone looking into a used foil for learning. I think to start foiling the best is to buy a used one, specially cause you don't know exactly where you'll want to go later or if you'll continue to want to foil. Also, I see quite some people that like cruising only, and they enjoy their 'beginner' foils and learnt their tacks, gybes and are very proficient without having gone the full-carbon-super-fast foil way.

If you can get a used slingshot foil i'd also go for that and buy the shorter masts, they're easy to ride. Still, I learnt on a used LF foil fish with full mast and it wasn't soooo frustrating... you do have to put some time on it and not get disappointing cause your first sessions are crap. Wear a helmet and impact vest!

tegirinenashi
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Cabrinha CO2 9.5m, Naish x2 14m, Litewave 161

Postby tegirinenashi » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:13 pm

There are two features that make LF superior:
1. Upgradeability
2. Mount system
Admittedly, #2 is minor detail, allowing the user to unscrew the plate bolts only half way. It would save perhaps 1 min assembly/disassembly time.

The first point is more significant. As of today, you can purchase faster wings, and lighter fuselage. However, the fact how those upgrades are priced/discounted right now make this whole point moot. $400 for fuselage? $539 wingset? It is just more effective just to sell the set as used and buy carbon one.

Therefore, if you get significantly better deal on cabrinha, then don't think twice about it.

danidr
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: Twintip

Postby danidr » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:27 pm

tegirinenashi wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:13 pm
There are two features that make LF superior:
1. Upgradeability
2. Mount system
Admittedly, #2 is minor detail, allowing the user to unscrew the plate bolts only half way. It would save perhaps 1 min assembly/disassembly time.

The first point is more significant. As of today, you can purchase faster wings, and lighter fuselage. However, the fact how those upgrades are priced/discounted right now make this whole point moot. $400 for fuselage? $539 wingset? It is just more effective just to sell the set as used and buy carbon one.

Therefore, if you get significantly better deal on cabrinha, then don't think twice about it.
In theory the interchangeability case works well, but in reality, if you can get a complete foil for a good price, it's better as you said. I got my foil fish for US$ 750, complete foil and board. I'm pretty sure I could sell it for that same price or maybe 650 or so, means I basically rented out one for free or very little. If you get the rocket fish and want to upgrade you're in 550 for the mid aspect wings, apart from the 999 for the foil originally, or sell the 999 foil as used for some 600-700, and get a complete one new. If you want to go LF, I'd recommend much better to buy the happy foil since it comes with the mid aspect wings and the price difference is much less than the complete set of mid aspects wings. Then source a set of low aspect wings someone else doesn't want and sells for cheap or is able to lend you for learning. Anyways, with these things nothing beats getting a good used one that is in very good condition, there's a big premium payed for people who get items new and when they're hot!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:12 pm

I would recommend the Happy Foil - better board, light board, higher AR wing.

You wont outgrow this one, like you will with the Rocket and Cab that are the easiest ones, but very shortsighted.

8) PF

dorpadon
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: fone

Postby dorpadon » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:40 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:12 pm

You wont outgrow this one, like you will with the Rocket and Cab that are the easiest ones, but very shortsighted.

8) PF
Is it easy to learn on?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:04 pm

dorpadon wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:40 am
Peter_Frank wrote:

8) PF
Is it easy to learn on?
Yes it is, of course not just as easy as the huge rocket wing, but no problem IMO, learning on this one.

8) PF

tegirinenashi
Frequent Poster

Postby tegirinenashi » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:28 pm

"Easy to learn" is relative term, some people just have better coordination and other skills making them quick learners. Age is also a factor. If you have tried numerous sport activities you should pretty much know where you stand.

danidr
Medium Poster
Style: Twintip

Postby danidr » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:59 pm

dorpadon wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:40 am
Peter_Frank wrote:

8) PF
Is it easy to learn on?
Have in mind that you can get the wings from the rocket foil and put them on the happy foil if you wish so. Shouldn't be difficult to source them used from someone that swapped to the higher performance wings after learning.

tegirinenashi
Frequent Poster

Postby tegirinenashi » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:15 pm

To simplify the matter, why pairing of front and back wing is of any significance? I'd suggest swapping stabilizer have negligible effect. Then, the cost of upgrading front wing to high AR wing is something like $170

http://gongsupshop.com/epages/box1707.s ... HELLFWG10M

Given that Rocket/Happy is pretty ubiquitous here in the US, their ecosystem would grow. LF HF has been silent for more than a year, do they have anything new to offer?

junebug
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: Twintip
Foil

Postby junebug » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:34 pm

dorpadon wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:14 pm
tegirinenashi wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:13 pm
You are getting double agent on sale, 2016 or 2017?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DCCgTiTdFQ
Depending how you look at it, longer mast and other improvements may be worth couple hundred $.
(The same thing is true for LF which second generation is noticeably improved over the first one).
I am getting the 2017
What kind of deal are we talking about here?

Return to “Hydrofoil”