Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

My legs are burning!

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Boosting lit up and overpowered
Gear: 16m NRG, 14m NRG, 12m Switchblade, 10m NRG, 145x43 Tronic, 160x41 Glide, Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board
Brand Affiliation: None

My legs are burning!

Postby lovethepirk » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:08 am

6th session and I'm freaking loving it. I'm foiling 70% of the time, 20% touchdown skimming, 10% holy shit I have to take a break and put the board flat in the water b/c my legs are burning!!!

I laid the race foil over today, squatted down, hips forward, upper body leaning back and just hauled freaking ass :jump: :jump: :jump:

Burned 1600 calories in 90 minutes....I ALWAYS thought foilers were relaxing and chilling out there, hahahaha. Foiling is brutal on the quads. Today I saw significant ability to stay out longer than before. I could only do 4 tacks before, today I did a lot more, but I am feeling it right now. Wow!

Here's how I rolled up to the beach today and what some of my downwind tacks looked like today completely out of control and how I felt after the sesh..."T-T-T timeout, timeout, my legs are burnt, my legs are burning!"

https://youtu.be/3ZCJUIkvvxU?t=32s

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo Kites, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards, 24Surf.pl
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF, Cabrinha

Re: My legs are burning!

Postby BraCuru » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:09 am

You place your feet in a wrong place on the board.
Can you take a picture of your foil and board with feet position mark? Sure that someone would indicate your problem.

4liner
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Hydrofoil

Postby 4liner » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:34 am

In the 2 years I've been foiling my skinny jeans don't fit my legs anymore.

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Pelican Point Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, TT, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Catalyst, BRM Cloud C.5, Slingshot foil board, Shinn Monk, Cabrinha Skillit

Postby DukeSilver » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:17 am

Foiling does give you a good leg workout for sure - particularly in the early stages. When I did my first semi successful runs up on the foil, I was so nervous I didn't want to move an inch so I was locked into a semi squat which really got the legs burning. As I've gained a bit more confidence and realized that a still head and upper body is more important, my legs are more relaxed and mobile.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:24 am

Feet and lower legs kill me, all the work of keeping my ankles under control. Thighs, not so much more than just standing up...

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:01 pm

With more time on the foil, your stance begins to thaw. Used to feel like my feet were cemented to the board. Now its easier to find moments of float to move them.

At the beginning your just focused on getting the thing to ride along level so you balance and brace in whatever stance your in. Eventually you will be good at the balance point and can optimize the stance to reduce bracing.

haare
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Lahti, Finland
Favorite Beaches: Egypt - Marsa Alam
Style: snowskite, freestyle
Gear: Pansh A15 12m
FS Speed 3 15m
FS Speed 15m
FS Split L
Liquid force foil Fish

Postby haare » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:45 pm

Maybe keep your kite higher. That makes it lot less strenous for the legs. My legs are fine. All things cosidered it is lighter for me that TT. But with TT i spent all the time jumping and now I am back practising turns :D

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:11 pm

you can ride around with almost no pressure if you want but when you're trying to haul ass in every direction, it's gonna burn.

going super tight upwind = burning
going super deep downwind = burning

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:15 pm

haare wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:45 pm
Maybe keep your kite higher. That makes it lot less strenous for the legs. My legs are fine. All things cosidered it is lighter for me that TT. But with TT i spent all the time jumping and now I am back practising turns :D

Yes, you use almost no muscles to foil - when you have learned you can ride "forever" without getting tired, IF you want that :rollgrin:

Or you can put a big kite up, fly it low and powered while pushing upwind, and get a workout - or you can do tricks or ride waves so you get tired fast because of the moves themself, or the crashes, or the pure stoke ha haa :naughty:

While learning, you can easily cramp up in no time, because of the tension trying to balance and control "just some of it for a little while", and after 20 minutes many (me included back when starting full on from day one) are toast, the very first days.

8) PF

PS: I see no reason why super deep downwind is tiring Tone ! Going at max speed downwind can be, but you can go even deeper at a tad less speed, so super deep is easy IMO.

Hugh2
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras, Cape Town, Mokuleia
Style: allsorts
Gear: Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 7 and 9, Cabrinha Vector 12, Best Bularoo 16m
Long Ocean 136 and 140, Cyclone 150, Cape Doctor "hybrid", Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0"

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:57 pm

Can't add much to above, just to say I'm 11 sessions in and feeling comfortable on 24" mast on Slingshot HoverGlide Flight School. Legs don't burn anymore, easy stance, able to move feet around a bit, going upwind and downwind easily, riding as far as I want without touching down. I do keep the kite high and try to limit speed, but then I'm old and cautious. Problems are getting around to toeside, let alone riding toeside, so still have to stop/crash for turns. Can't yet imagine being able to properly gybe on the foil. Going to try 30" mast soon.

Return to “Hydrofoil”