Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

BRM Cloud C.5 8.5 vs 8.0 D

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

Mitaka
Medium Poster
Style: wave riding
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, BRM Cloud C5, F-One MITU, KETOS Wave & Wave XL foil + Pocket 107 & 118 foilboard

BRM Cloud C.5 8.5 vs 8.0 D

Postby Mitaka » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:58 pm

Can anybody compare these two kites in terms of low end, high end, flying characteristics?

Thanks!

herbert
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: directional
Gear: RRD
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: BRM Cloud C.5 8.5 vs 8.0 D

Postby herbert » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:49 am

I have flown both of them a lot....as have others...and I expect our subjective impressions would vary. Both are very light and nimble and fast. The D has a little less bar pressure and a little more relative pull from the center lines. The D will turn with very little tension on the lines, the .5 needs a little more line pressure to initiate a turn. The D has a slightly higher range. If you like that increased bar pull so that a punch of wind is felt in the hands and thus released immediately by the hands, then the .5 does that. In punchy wind foiling and surfing I always preferred that. But now that I have spent many hours flying the D, for me it is a better kite. There are times foiling and surfing I want to go some direction that makes the lines slack....I want the kite to drift crazily and still turn and then move...but not yet power up if I don't want the power right away. The .5 will do that very well....but the D does it even better I think. The D's are comfortable in a bit of a wider range as I said (the higher end is extended a bit I think).

Mitaka
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, BRM Cloud C5, F-One MITU, KETOS Wave & Wave XL foil + Pocket 107 & 118 foilboard

Postby Mitaka » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:00 pm

Thanks Herbert!

Can you compare also the low end. Since the D has better high end and its area is 0.5 sq.m. smaller I suppose that the 8.5 has slightly better low end?

pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: West Dennis, Pleasure Bay, Chapin, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe. Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul
Gear: BRM Cloud, Lift foils, LP, Temavento, Levitaz, Moses, Concept Air Pulsion, North, Slingshot, Cabrinha, Flysurfer, Ocean Rodeo, Onewheel, Evolve GT, Ollin Freeride

Postby pikovsg » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:17 pm

D has better power across the full window, so in a way, better low end.

cleepa
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008

Postby cleepa » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:13 am

I was going to ask the same thing. Low end is important for me. I didn't upgrade from the C2 to the C.5 because I felt the .5 sacrificed the low end a lot. So I'd love to hear how the C2 and the D compare w.r.t. low end, please!

bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Umina Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, lawn mowing
Gear: BRM Cloud C2's, D's

Slingshot Skim Board, North Surfboards, BRM Paipo, Shinn Shinnster/Jackson, Firewire Boards, CrazyFly Doors, Zeeko Carver/Spitfire Foils, Naish Hover 155, Naish Thrust Surf Foil, Konrad Foil

Postby bigtone667 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:37 am

I think the 13.4 D is almost as grunty as the 17m C2 ...... and I think it is much better than the 13.5 C.5.

I was really happy the first time I took it out with my foil, and even happier when I took out with a Twin Tip. You can even jump on the them.

Mitaka
Medium Poster

Postby Mitaka » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:56 am

cleepa wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:13 am
I was going to ask the same thing. Low end is important for me. I didn't upgrade from the C2 to the C.5 because I felt the .5 sacrificed the low end a lot. So I'd love to hear how the C2 and the D compare w.r.t. low end, please!
Greg published his personal wind range comparison between C2 and C.5 which made decision making easy when he launched the C.5 but such valuable info is missing now with the new D model. :(
C2vsC5.jpg
I want to buy an 8.0 D or an 8.5 C.5 and for me it would be very helpfull if somebody can compare the lowest possible wind to foil on these two kites. Best for all of us would be if Greg publishes his personal wind range with the D model too. :D

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:08 am

From posters above, it seems the D has less low end and better high end, but a good rider can "fly" the D to the same high end as more peak power when flown :naughty:

Mitaka
Medium Poster

Postby Mitaka » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:13 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:08 am
From posters above, it seems the D has less low end and better high end, but a good rider can "fly" the D to the same high end as more peak power when flown :naughty:
You mean:
..., but a good rider can "fly" the D to the same LOW end as more peak power when flown

To be more precise I am interested in the low end for foiling (8.5 vs 8.0 Cloud) which is different from the general understanding of the term low end - usually the lowest wind to be able to stay upwind on a twintip or surfboard.

Often one bigger kite could have better low end for twintip kiting and worse low end for foiling compared to a different model kite which happens when the smaller, faster kite can generate more peak power and enable waterstart at lower wind speed.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:57 am

Mitaka wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:13 am
Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:08 am
You mean:
..., but a good rider can "fly" the D to the same LOW end as more peak power when flown

To be more precise I am interested in the low end for foiling (8.5 vs 8.0 Cloud) which is different from the general understanding of the term low end - usually the lowest wind to be able to stay upwind on a twintip or surfboard.

Often one bigger kite could have better low end for twintip kiting and worse low end for foiling compared to a different model kite which happens when the smaller, faster kite can generate more peak power and enable waterstart at lower wind speed.

Exactly :thumb:

Even the same size kites, can be very different in terms of apparent wind power.
This is the very reason why foil kites outperform everything in terms of low end and foiling - not because they got more "pull" or low end, as they got very bad low end in fact - but because they generate a helluva lot of power when flown or ridden :naughty:

The very same goes for our LEI's, so based upon the postings here, it seems the D model are a "faster" kite (faster meaning it flys faster and generate more power this way, not that it turns faster)

Really small kites, high AR LEI, are way better at this too, than the thick round ones :rollgrin:

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”