juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Gear: BWS / Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: First session on Zeeko + shinn el stubbo

Postby juandesooka » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:17 pm

yeah, roll is the scary one for sure. You and the foil can collapse together like a switchblade. Avoiding it requires committing to enough speed and flow ... so where it becomes a problem is when you're tentative and want to go slower and feel more in control. Unfortunately, much like riding a bike, control comes with speeding up a little -- baby steps don't work, have to commit to a certain amount of speed or you wipeout. :-)

Make sure that front strap is super loose, last thing you want is foil to roll and your ankle be the bending point. (I went to front hook specifically for this, though it makes water starts a little more challenging sometimes)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m

Postby TomW » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:21 pm

I think someone has to write a book: "the physics of kite foiling and hydrofoil principles "
Yes, I'm figuring it out by feel, but understanding the principles helps me a lot.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:22 am

TomW wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:21 pm
I think someone has to write a book: "the physics of kite foiling and hydrofoil principles "
Yes, I'm figuring it out by feel, but understanding the principles helps me a lot.
It's interesting but probably somewhat useless, a lot of it is muscle memory, when you ride a bicycle you don't think about counter steering, actually most people don't even believe it, there are plenty of proof experiment steering by pushing one finger on steering wheel if you are a non believer ;)
It's less apparent on bicycle but on motorcycle counter steering is more volontary because of heavy gyroscope effect, you don't really think about after a while but at lower speed counter steering doesn't work anymore in control way and you have to steer normally shifting weight on opposite side.

Though all the jybe technique are probably worthwhile to write down and technique involved.

bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Umina Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah
Style: surf, foiling, lawn mowing
Gear: BRM Cloud C2's, .5's, D's and few old BWS kites

Slingshot Skim Boards, North Surfboards, BRM Paipo, Shinn El Stubbo/Shinnster, Firewire Boards, CrazyFly Boards, Zeeko Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:28 am

juandesooka wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:17 pm
yeah, roll is the scary one for sure. You and the foil can collapse together like a switchblade. Avoiding it requires committing to enough speed and flow ... so where it becomes a problem is when you're tentative and want to go slower and feel more in control. Unfortunately, much like riding a bike, control comes with speeding up a little -- baby steps don't work, have to commit to a certain amount of speed or you wipeout. :-)

Make sure that front strap is super loose, last thing you want is foil to roll and your ankle be the bending point. (I went to front hook specifically for this, though it makes water starts a little more challenging sometimes)
I think it helps to see the balance point as the foil and not your ankles.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Re: First session on Zeeko + shinn el stubboo

Postby jeromeL » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:18 am

Update with session 2:

Went out today, barely enough wind to launch bandit 14m (my 12 is out of order, need new bridle).
Felt pretty good and once I got up on foil I was able to control pitch fairly well. First session I was just hoping for the Best but now I'm in control.
I tried a bit of a poo stance, it's easier to react but less stable. I think I prefer standing mostly straight with tiny amount of flex and control pitch flexing front foot. Now it feels just like applying pressure on front foot to go down.

Anyway here is video, bonus at the end a fail horrible self landing that almost transformed in deathloop

So far I'm happy with board and foil. After all you don't need small mast to learn on ;)

phpBB [video]

Return to “Hydrofoil”