neilhapgood
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip
Brand Affiliation: None

keeping the kite in the air, part 2!

Postby neilhapgood » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:02 am

thanks for the really helpful contributions to my last post. I am still some way off gybing or tacking so drop in the water to turn around, when its really light there is obviously a danger that you lose the kite at this point. I have been getting the board on the water and slowing right down prior to dropping in the water thinking that its best to get rid of the apparent wind first to keep the kite in the air, any ideas if this is right or if dropping in the water when I still have some pace will keep the kite in the sky better?

hope that makes sense!

thanks

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Re: keeping the kite in the air, part 2!

Postby Tone » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:19 am

Loop the kite.

It's what I do :)

cwood
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:59 am

Get good at the butt gybe......and keep the kite moving and transitioning while flipping the board with your feet....keeps airflow and once good its as fast as a full on tack. Only problem is it makes one lazy in trying to learn real transitions.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:30 pm

cwood wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:59 am
Get good at the butt gybe......and keep the kite moving and transitioning while flipping the board with your feet....keeps airflow and once good its as fast as a full on tack. Only problem is it makes one lazy in trying to learn real transitions.
Concur, you can go from about 7-9knots to just splash down, pivot hips, dive kite in new direction very quickly once you focus on making it a fluid movement. It's easy if you have a Y footstrap setup instead of just 2.

Another idea is if the kite is at the edge of the window in the old direction, you can gradually bring it higher, switch your board, then downloop it to get it going in the new direction instead of having it go over the top across 12. This is contingent on line length and kite size and all that, but many a downloop has saved my foil kites from collapse at the edge of the window.

I found learning how to surface gybe fairly easy and once you can do that it's all you really need to go riding in the light stuff. I found having a lot of power and trying to take the kite over 12 instead of downlooping the easiest way to learn surface gybes, the next session I went out in the light stuff I did much much better after a really powered gybe practice session.

irwe
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:51 pm

Try using at least 27 m lines. It will allow the kite to drift better at 12:00. As others have said you can keep the kite moving from 11 - 1 and sheet out if the winds are light.

Water Gybe tips: Before turning the kite slightly edge away from the kite. Let the kite turn a little before initiating your turn. Look way up wind in the new direction while transitioning. Have the kite sheeted out with one hand but don't let it go all the way to the edge of the new direction. Keep your weight forward on the board during the turn. Change your foot position (new back foot) quickly but don't put it all the back to your normal foiling position.
Get comfortable then bring your back foot further back and prepare for take off.

Return to “Hydrofoil”