Surfing with a Kite Hydrofoil

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Ozone, Axis, Moses, Zeeko, Firewire, SBS
Brand Affiliation: Foiling Basics, The Boardroom Fuerteventura, Ozone, Axiskiteboarding,Schwerelosigkite, Triggernaut,

Re: Surfing with a Kite Hydrofoil

Postby gmb13 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:58 am

Hi Henrik,

I prefer the Go Foil in the waves now. It just is a lot more of a surfing feeling. If I kite foil in waves now, I want that same feeling I get from SUP foiling.

In regards to speed, the profile usually has only a smaller part in limiting how fast a foil can go.

The adapter I use is from Groove Kiteboards. http://www.groovekiteboards.it/accessories-hydrofoil/

--
Gunnar

pitbulldoug
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Fortaleza,Cumbuco,Uruau,CE Brasil Ventura Co.California
Style: Wave and foil
Gear: Naish,Cloud,ASD surfboards Fortaleza CE Brasil,foil MHl Alpine,Moses foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby pitbulldoug » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:22 pm

Riding shorter masts and larger sup foil type wings for kite wave foiling is a lot of fun as Gunnar says.Quite a few of our local crew have been doing this for quite some time,Personally think that's the future of wave kite foiling it's a blast! I use a pelican surffoil which is a great sup foil IMO you also can drop a kite size usually with a sup wing which is nice too!
Last edited by pitbulldoug on Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RadDrDuke
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Long Beach Island NJ
Favorite Beaches: Florida Keys. South Padre Island. Hatteras. Maui.
Style: Freeride
Gear: liquid force kites, crazyfly board

Postby RadDrDuke » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:03 pm

It looks like the guy in that news video is using a regular low aspect kite foil.

So it looks like you can use a kite foil and paddle into waves on a small surfboard and have a great time.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Ozone, Axis, Moses, Zeeko, Firewire, SBS
Brand Affiliation: Foiling Basics, The Boardroom Fuerteventura, Ozone, Axiskiteboarding,Schwerelosigkite, Triggernaut,

Postby gmb13 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:11 pm

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera
Brand Affiliation: F-One

Postby windmaker » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:01 pm

pitbulldoug wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:22 pm
Riding shorter masts and larger sup foil type wings for kite wave foiling is a lot of fun as Gunnar says.Quite a few of our local crew have been doing this for quite some time,Personally think that's the future of wave kite foiling it's a blast! I use a pelican surffoil which is a great sup foil IMO you also can drop a kite size usually with a sup wing which is nice too!
Well I am going the opposite way. Riding a proper surfboard strapless with a 65cm mast but a very small wing (350 cm2). Needs good speed to get foiling, but that's the point. Want to be able to ride on the surface or above the surface as I please.

In light wind can still go upwind much better than with just a surfboard and over speeding down a wave on the foil is much more controllable.

jespin4845
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:32 pm

windmaker wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:01 pm
pitbulldoug wrote:
Well I am going the opposite way. Riding a proper surfboard strapless with a 65cm mast but a very small wing (350 cm2). Needs good speed to get foiling, but that's the point. Want to be able to ride on the surface or above the surface as I please.

In light wind can still go upwind much better than with just a surfboard and over speeding down a wave on the foil is much more controllable.
do you have any video of ur riding? i can see how this could be fun, the benefit of using the foil to get upwind on fast tacks, then slow down and use the surfboard to ride the wave, not worrying about the foil lifting cause its going to slow to lift...interesting

did u make your wing or are u using a production one? thanks

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:48 pm

I don't know, I'm dubious of that -good surfing with a foil attached but not lifting.
With, for example, my setup, a paipo and zeeko carver the "big" wing starts lifting before board is really planing, so with much bigger SUP wings, I doubt you'll be keeping the board down much.
To me a surfboard with foil under it feels very impaired until the foil starts working, speaking of normal "medium" and "large" kitefoiling wings at least. But I'm a beginner at foiling still...

Europ2
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Europ2 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:14 am

gmb13 wrote: Here are some close ups of the Go Foil
Very interesting post.
Could you please post a top view of the front Wing ? Very interested by the outline.
Would you have the front Wing chord, just to estimate the surface ?
Thanks.
Last edited by Europ2 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Europ2
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Europ2 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:20 am

gmb13 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:43 am
I forgot another super important thing about using the Carver wing on a SUP. The standard connection from mast to the plate is not strong enough. It will bend the screws and damage the mast and plate. We used the new Windsurf Plates which have a high sleeve that holds the mast.
Takuma and their 1500cm2 front wing use a plate with high sleeve too
Takuma V100.jpg
Takuma V100.jpg (146.2 KiB) Viewed 255 times

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera
Brand Affiliation: F-One

Postby windmaker » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:40 am

jespin4845 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:32 pm
windmaker wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:01 pm
pitbulldoug wrote:

do you have any video of ur riding? i can see how this could be fun, the benefit of using the foil to get upwind on fast tacks, then slow down and use the surfboard to ride the wave, not worrying about the foil lifting cause its going to slow to lift...interesting

did u make your wing or are u using a production one? thanks
No videos yet, but it is the opposite. I ride out and upwind mostly with the board on the water but surf the waves with the board in the air but very close to the surface. The foil needs to be working in order to make a proper carve.
This technique implies you are mostly carving the wave rather than using it's energy.

Return to “Hydrofoil”