Wave Riding Foils, not really waveriding

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Wave Riding Foils, not really waveriding

Postby ronnie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:43 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:30 pm
A new video posted of foiling in the waves in Baja. http://www.iksurfmag.com/kitesurfing-ne ... -a-breeze/

Wind is side off, less than 10mph they report, so assume it is 5-6kt. Looks like fun, playing in the waves. Though the surfer purists may well question if it is "surfing" or just kiting in and around waves.

In that light wind, I suspect a regular surfboard with kite wouldn't work. Hate to say it, but the windsurfer seems to have the best waveriding tool for that situation, as they are able to stay in the pocket and ride the wave down the line. Not being a hater, just an observation.

But also a general observation ... how much FUN does that set up look?!?! Mmmm

PS can't get vimeo embedding to work:
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/221474090[/vimeo]
To get the video embedding to work, there is an instruction when you put the pointer on the Vimeo tag - to remove the s from https, and put in www. before vimeo. ie. http://www.vimeo.com etc

Foils seem to be more efficient and go upwind better. That might create an opportunity for a different type of kite? - I'm thinking maybe a kite that can be dragged directly into the wind while you use the power of the wave to ride directly into the wind.

eg. You can see at times that this windsurfer, because he can feather the sail almost directly into the wind, can ride upwind to get back into the pocket when he needs to.

ulx
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller area
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ulx » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:12 am

I am sure there is so much more to come. Maybe the new big surf foils like Go Foil, Takuma and others will be one way to explore the waves with a kite with very little kite-input while riding waves. For me, one of the best kitefoil-sessions this year was one with very little wind. Very hard to get going with my 6m and the Ketos wave wing (and kakoo pocket board). But when on the wave I had hardly any power from the kite. All I had to look for was to give it a twist when changing direction on the wave and keep it in the air. I suppose the session would have been even better with something like the Takuma foil. I have one on its way and hope to be able to compare soon. I really bought it for SUP foiling but without having tried it yet I hope it will be great for little-kite-input-wave-foiling, too.

As always that is not the way for everyone. Like riding surfboards strapped or strapless and so on. It will be great to see what is possible when more young guns start to discover wave-kite-foiling for themselves. Like SUP-foiling is going off at the moment with people like Kai Lenny riding in circles with his Surf-foil. And now Austin Kalama getting into a foil on complete flat water with a SUP foil and his paddle.

I am very curious, too, if these eFoils will be something. Just ditching the kites altogether and being propelled out into the next wave and then just ride it without the motor? Cool video about it from Lift.

phpBB [video]

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Postby plummet » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:42 am

So,,, I backed my rear stab aoa off to a point where it is quite pitch sensitive with low front foot pressure.
What was the result? way better In the waves. Tighter turning radius, increased ability to go fast, increased reaction speed on the wave face.
The disadvantage? she's a twitchy beast for normal riding. My jybes have regressed back a couple of months worth. I've got to get used to the extra sensativing. But ultimately its going to be the set up for riding waves!!!!...,

Food for thought for those struggle in waves with foils that demand too much front foot pressure and you end up in high speed death run in front of the wave. fiddle with the wave from increased sensitivity and better wave action.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet

Postby pj sofine » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:41 pm

Hmmm. I may have to invent the "acme hydrofoil brake".Enables a foil to slow down, maybe add on pieces to foil or mast to make it less efficient.Stay tuned!

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Gear: BWS / Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil

Postby juandesooka » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:38 pm

plummet wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:42 am
So,,, I backed my rear stab aoa off to a point where it is quite pitch sensitive with low front foot pressure.
What was the result? way better In the waves. Tighter turning radius, increased ability to go fast, increased reaction speed on the wave face.
The disadvantage? she's a twitchy beast for normal riding. My jybes have regressed back a couple of months worth. I've got to get used to the extra sensativing. But ultimately its going to be the set up for riding waves!!!!...,

Food for thought for those struggle in waves with foils that demand too much front foot pressure and you end up in high speed death run in front of the wave. fiddle with the wave from increased sensitivity and better wave action.
Your description sounds exactly like my canard experiment. All the pressure is on back foot, it turns super tight, but "twitchy" is the word.... Have to work to stay on the foil especially if going slower. A fun ride alternative though. I am going to get a second fuselage for quick change outs, use both for variety.

If you are looking for a project, try turning your wings around, see how the ride differs.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:08 pm

plummet wrote:

I think this is the next level of progression with setup tuning. I think 99% of what accounts for the different feel of various board and foil combinations is the stab to fuse|fuse to strut|strut to board|tuttle to board|footstraps to tuttle geometry. I wonder how many people would fall back in love with their hydrofoils if they tried a board with better geometry or tuned their setup a bit.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Postby plummet » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:07 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:38 pm
plummet wrote:

Your description sounds exactly like my canard experiment. All the pressure is on back foot, it turns super tight, but "twitchy" is the word.... Have to work to stay on the foil especially if going slower. A fun ride alternative though. I am going to get a second fuselage for quick change outs, use both for variety.

If you are looking for a project, try turning your wings around, see how the ride differs.
Now that you mention it. Yes it did require a bit more grunt to stay on the foil..... where previously with the higher aoa slower speeds where easier.... interesting. But that makes complete sense!
Mossy 757 wrote:
I think this is the next level of progression with setup tuning. I think 99% of what accounts for the different feel of various board and foil combinations is the stab to fuse|fuse to strut|strut to board|tuttle to board|footstraps to tuttle geometry. I wonder how many people would fall back in love with their hydrofoils if they tried a board with better geometry or tuned their setup a bit.
I think your right in the sense that most people buy their foils and never play around with the stab aoa. But a the same stab angle is not going to be perfect for every style of riding.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:40 am

plummet wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:07 pm
I think your right in the sense that most people buy their foils and never play around with the stab aoa. But a the same stab angle is not going to be perfect for every style of riding.
Rake adjustable tuttle boxes. Surf setting, click it forward for free ride setting, click it back for speed setting, all the way back for air style, or whatever. Patent pending :p

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:24 am

Mossy 757 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:40 am
plummet wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:07 pm
Rake adjustable tuttle boxes. Surf setting, click it forward for free ride setting, click it back for speed setting, all the way back for air style, or whatever. Patent pending :p
Note sure that would work. The aoa change needs to be between the front and rear wing. moving the whole mast angle only changes the angle the board sits at.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:35 pm

plummet wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:24 am
moving the whole mast angle only changes the angle the board sits at.
Yeah, you need to tweak the strut/board AND fuse/strut angles..."wiggle the parallelogram"

Return to “Hydrofoil”