Typical HF Learning curve

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

salvino
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Typical HF Learning curve

Postby salvino » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:05 am

The toeside water start is valuable to learn. I do it with slow down loop waterstart where I immediately turn to toe side as kite pulls me onto board. At this moment kite is leading board through downwind eye and crossing to other side as foil pops up toeside. Then I can continue or carve back to heelside or gybe feet.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:26 am

salvino wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:05 am
The toeside water start is valuable to learn. I do it with slow down loop waterstart where I immediately turn to toe side as kite pulls me onto board. At this moment kite is leading board through downwind eye and crossing to other side as foil pops up toeside. Then I can continue or carve back to heelside or gybe feet.

Why is it valuable ?

8) PF

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:52 pm

salvino wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:05 am
Nevermind, I tried transition to toesdie yesterday but this time with a downloop and it's a lot easier with downloop keeping speed up! I was a bit too shy to try with kite at 12, you have got to loop it :D
Was able to go back and forth a few times ;) those wipeouts are painful toeside though :x
Next on list is to switch those feet around or try to tack ;)

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:24 pm

I think "toeside waterstart" or "jibing waterstart" -- variations of the same thing-- can help to get going quickly without having to maneuver the board around to a different position. This could help save energy and time or get you out of a tight spot, like how a simple downloop turn can sometimes do the same by keeping you on plane or avoiding hitting other kiter's lines in a crowded spot etc. I think if you are using your weight and legs to swing the board through an arc instead of a straight line you may be able to extend your effective "power stroke" a little. All kinds of funny reasons to do funny things...

similarly, at one point last year on the surfboard in light wind I started letting the board sink and tacking or jibing it underwater, almost spinning it with my feet, if there was not enough wind to keep planing. For that board this was easier than trying to wobble through a slow turn...

Return to “Hydrofoil”