Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone Running an Orange LF Mast on a Slingshot Board?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk
Brand Affiliation: None

Anyone Running an Orange LF Mast on a Slingshot Board?

Postby Eltreato » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:23 pm

I know there's no problem with track widths, and I'm under the assumption I'll need shorter mounting bolts than what comes with the Foil Fish package. I saw somewhere that M8 pan head bolts are recommended (americankiteboarding.com I believe). I am wondering if anyone else running this setup has recommendations. Did you just cut down your stock mounting bolts or buy new ones? If so can anyone tell me what bolt length is needed as well as any other hardware such as washers or shims between the mast base and the bolts?

The picture below is from a Google image search, it looks like they are using countersunk Philips instead of Pan heads. It doesn't actually state how well the countersunk bolts work.

Thanks!

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Re: Anyone Running an Orange LF Mast on a Slingshot Board?

Postby jespin4845 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:42 pm

go to a local hardware store such as aces, get m8 stainless steel pan head, perhaps with some fender washers also....cant help you on the length

in the picture its using flat screws on a non countersunk hole,...not ideal, but it'll work, some strong jumps will start to destroy something....

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1900
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:51 pm

jespin4845 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:42 pm
go to a local hardware store such as aces, get m8 stainless steel pan head, perhaps with some fender washers also....cant help you on the length

in the picture its using flat screws on a non countersunk hole,...not ideal, but it'll work, some strong jumps will start to destroy something....
I wouldn't go to a local store (at least not long term). The SS that 99% of places sell is 18/8 ie 304. Ok for moderately moist environments but saltwater will make them look like plated fasteners fast.

For saltwater use you need 316 if you want them to last. McMaster-Carr for the largest and easiest to get to selection of 316 M8 pan/button head fasteners. McMaster's search/ filter function makes them easy to find. :thumb:

You can get away with using a countersunk fastener in a non countersunk hole, you'll just deform the plate over time (aluminum being softer than SS). Wouldn't recommend that, but it will work short term.

As far as length I think a local guy is running a 25mm bolt. But it's just a matter of: plate mount and gasket thickness + box and lamination thickness above the wide section of T track (the upright distance of the "T") + 1/2 to 3/4 the length of the threads on the t-nut.

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:03 pm

Thanks guys, this is great info!

reyrivera
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Santa Cruz, CA.
Alameda, CA.
Pittsburgh, CA.
Style: Strapless boards
Gear: Caution Kites
Home made C kites

Postby reyrivera » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:21 am

I found some 316 shoulder screws for my LF collar at McMaster-Carr, they were very expensive, I think at $13.00 per screw.
So I decided to be creative instead and use whatever hardware I have on my kit. Definitely get the 316 stainless steel screws, not the 304. I used a set temporarily while trying to get the appropriate screws, they rusted within a week (see pic).
Attachments
IMG_3518.png
IMG_3516.png

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:19 am

couldn't you also just get some kind of spacers if the screws are too long? stack a couple washers on top of each other?

Return to “Hydrofoil”