Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

franken foil cookbook ?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

franken foil cookbook ?

Postby BWD » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:06 pm

First, being a creative cheapskate tinkerer as well as begining foiler, and an habitual rider of shallow sand bars, I have a specific question:
what's the screw spacing for the fuse/mast connection of the slingshot hoverglide?

Second, I invite anyone to use this thread to dump specs for would be frankenfoil constructors as well as full artisanal producers.

Currently I am wishing for a short mast, or masts, to suit shallow spots (with and without waves).
Slinghsot seems to offer the most economical options, but It would be great to compile accurate data on specs from all the brands.

For starters, what I am working with is zeeko, mast/fuse spacing 48mm as best I can measure it.

Thank you.
Last edited by BWD on Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Gear: BWS / Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: franken foil cookbook ?

Postby juandesooka » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:36 pm

I like your style.

Wings....g10 and a belt sander = diy winning.

Fuselage ... haven't tackled this yet but 1 inch aluminum tube and some metal work skills would do it.

Mast...cheaper to buy from slingshot than to make i figure.

Brain.... Abbie Normal works for me (obscure Young frankenstein reference)

jonysan
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth
Gear: Naish Pivots, F-One Mito 5.8,

Postby jonysan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:43 pm

Hey Abbie Normal, "Werewolf" "therewolf" "why did you say therewolf" "Oh, I thought you wanted to talk like that"

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:43 pm

Houston kiteboarding has made some adapters for slingshot Al mast to LF and now Lift. That's cool, but what about all the others??
There are somewhat obviously at least three extrusions used by different manufacturers, for example zeeko/manta use the same one (or have done at least), while liquid force uses another, which is apparently different from slingshot. But is slingshot's the same as zeeko? Etc. Many questions...

So what numbers can you share, juan? I'm ABnormally curious...

faklord
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby faklord » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:31 pm

For a Frankenfoil You may want to consider this place for struts and possibly wings
https://www.kitesyndikat.de/en/kite-sho ... -equipment. Choice of strut lengths
Strut dimensions can be found on this thread http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2395913
I'm pretty sure this is the Same as Manta.
Another option to an expensive alloy mast to board plate is to use one of the ketos KF box adaptors http://www.ketos-foil.com/en/28-kf-box and use an epoxy filler to fill the gap between the ally mast and KFbox.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m

Postby TomW » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:44 pm

I'm still trying to find time and motivation to finish my Frankenfoil midget strut (70cm). It has homemade Uni directional Abachi wood ply Core and 3mm of carbon lamination. Grinding and sanding the carbon is the worst job ever. I'd rather clean toilets. Materials set me back 120€ so far. I starting to think I should have just bought one...

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:52 pm

hmm, interesting. Thanks.
The RL hole spacing is 40mm, so not directly compatible.
Mast price ok, base plate price high. Looks like mast could be same extrusion as LF, or similar.

@ TomW
I see. i think if I ever DIY a mast, it will be using a female mold from a production mast. I would probably shrink wrap the mast to guarantee release and make composite half molds. Hopefully would yield several masts before major problems, and keep fairing to reasonable amount. But in short term, I think I'll be buying something...

Edit:
Mantafoils masts have 40mm screw spacing I have found. It is nice that they say so in the website.
Eyeballing pictures of slingshot al masts they may have same spacing as zeeko, or not. Clearly appear more than LF at least.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:35 pm

Zeeko appears to have 15/8 inch spacing (about 48 mm) and uses m8 screws.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:48 pm

Indeed they do. It's slingshot about which I'm most curious, m8 I think, but the spacing??

tegirinenashi
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: RRD, Cabrinha, Liquid Force

Postby tegirinenashi » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:00 am

BWD wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:43 pm
Houston kiteboarding has made some adapters for slingshot Al mast to LF and now Lift...
This must be for someone who doesn't know how to use electric drill. Even if Slingshot and LF hole spacing is so close that one can't reuse one hole, you can always offset and drill two holes.

Return to “Hydrofoil”