A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Alpine Foil 5.0 titanium review

Postby Starsky » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:33 pm

flyrace.jpg
The fact you rode this for two years lends some perspective! Still, going for the only titanium set up out there for your first foil is an eyebrow raiser. What was it in your research that made you go that way?

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL

Postby fogmeister » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi starsky,

the thing that intrigued me at first is the history of alpine foil, following damien and his son hugo and the team as they started making foils and improving them. Watching videos of the machines he would buy to further enhance his operations. It became obvious to me that damien does things to his foils , little things, that maybe are not absolutely necessary but little by little add up to make a sublime experience! And set his foils apart from other manufactures, who are trying to make cost effective foils.

i also watched many videos of people riding foils from various manufactures, and could see the stability and smoothness that people were riding on the alpine, i just did not see this in videos of other foils.

Physically i attributed this to the long fuselage and the xlp wing.

I also found the xlp wing is awsome for ultra light wind.....but has a top speed of 26-28 kts......which is great to have in a light wind wing. I have not found a wing with that much surface area that would go that fast

also the shape of the wing adds to its stability, it was more engineered than other wings i found.

i was looking for one wing that could give me speed and ultralight ability without compromise, i felt this wing would do it.

also from my research i found the boards he makes have wood stringers encased in carbon fibre to make a very stiff Kf box. most of the boards here are foam only. Again not necessary, but it all adds up.

the titanium fuselage , well i could.......its the thinnest on the market.....another little difference that adds up, and a thousand years from now can be dug up intact as an artifact! The strength of titanium anti fatigue of the material, anti corrosion, and its strength in all directions, made me think why not.

again there are many ways to skin a cat and ride a foil and cheaper, but the Alpinefoil has just every little option you can think of and thus rides like it (i am guessing, but others who tried it thought it was incredible), you get what you pay for. having said that Alpinefoil makes affordable rides with the same wings.

since my life is short and who knows how long your gonna ride before life throws you a curveball, so alpinefoil was my choice. Damien is as passionate about his stuff as i am and that gives me good idea about what he puts into his foils and boards, and i was comfortable with that.

cheers
Last edited by fogmeister on Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fogmeister
Frequent Poster

Postby fogmeister » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:26 pm

On riding the flyrace........well in our ontario winds it was the only board that would let you ride in wind of the fuck all variety and have fun boosting big!!! now there is the foil which is even way better!!! Light wind doors are like a square wheel in comparison to both flyrace and foils.

fogmeister
Frequent Poster

Postby fogmeister » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:29 pm

manta foils also have a titanium fuselage as does skroka (main body)

fogmeister
Frequent Poster

Postby fogmeister » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:34 pm

alpine foil has now blunt noses

kostantin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Sahlenburg
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc
Gear: Switch, PANSH, Fisch Kiteboards

Postby kostantin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:31 pm

I don't see the point why I should buy a titanium fuselage as long as I can make a carbon one. It is a loop de loop story without any technical background, is this only made to tell your friends on the beach, hey have a look, my ding dong is made out of Ti.

I don't get the point, maybe someone can bring some light in this.

tks

Kosta

fogmeister
Frequent Poster

Postby fogmeister » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:37 pm

........its technology as simple as that, you dont need to see the point........some do, and thats why i bought it as have many others. But i dont really care what others think about the bling, its a nice piece of technology and interesting to see how it works on a foil. Its being made by people in the industry, i will lay my bets and say they have good reason for, even if not everyone will see the need. But we already discussed these points....the need......it all ads up.

:cheers:

cheers

kostantin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Sahlenburg
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc
Gear: Switch, PANSH, Fisch Kiteboards

Postby kostantin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:10 pm

The only point I personally care is the technical. That you love the foil, super, you love the ride double excellent.

I am what you would call an old guy. I have been working on the first glider proto's made out of carbon in the dark ages and at the present I work on power mills that are 65m long, a blade.

What I would like to know is why a company builds a part for a foil out of Ti. The material has a weight / stiffness ratio that is compared to carbon, lets say not competitive.

Don't get me wrong, I don't badmouth your purchase, you will never will have any sort of corrosion in your fuselage, most of the owners of aluminium foils will face this. But I personally have a serious problem when I get tricked from the kitesurfing marketing machine.

Some examples :

Carved. For years we have heard that they use a special carbon with 28° layers. Our powermill has 38 layers 835gr UD in the spar. You need two of them. We build 3 sets in 24 hours. Talking about this amount, you can discuss with the supplier about a tailor made supply.

Carved
Resin, specially made for them. On a 24 hour basis we use around 3 tons plus hardner. Once in while they change the receipt, not only for us, The problems we have other company's also have.
I have been made vakuum injected kiteboards since 2004, so this info is bomb proof. Such a board takes around 1250 gr. each. Take 500, who knows how many Imperators are made a year just for easy calculation, trust me no one will mix you something special and on the world market my company is only a donald duck company compared to Siemens or General Electric.

Extra super bang WOW carbon in your mast. Yes mam, but no one is producing this. There a less then a handful carbon suppliers in the world. You can get gramms / m2 in all sort of variations from each of them, if you are big enough. Trias, biax UD, but there is no hymodulus carbon. The word itself is only made to pull your bucks out of the pocket.

I can go on like this for hours. on certain points the kite industries is a serious rip off. On the other hand, I am facing 3 weeks in france, things could be worse.

Have fun with your Alpine

tks

Kosta

fogmeister
Frequent Poster

Postby fogmeister » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:04 pm

hey kost its all good, thanks for your candor

here is an alpine foil explanation, translated from french......so take with grain of salt

Why in practice Titanium has an extreme rigidity on a fuselage?

Because every piece of foil works differently.

Why all the parts of an airplane are not carbon?

Some are made of titanium, some are made of aluminum, some are made of fiber, some are made of carbon.

For every application the designer chooses the most suitable material. The carbon is excellent from a theoretical point of view on a specimen calibrated in a given axis with a continuous uncut fiber.
It is necessary for this that the fiber works perfectly in the axis of the effort, that the module of the resin that binds the fibers between them is perfect, that there is no porosity, that the cooking cycle is Perfectly respected etc.
In practice, on a fuselage it does not happen at all like that, the forces arrive a little in all directions, the carbon fibers are therefore no longer focused and as soon as one deviates from the axis the resistance a The force of the carbon flows

The case of the fuselage is very particular because a fuselage works in a multitude of axes, there are very great torsional forces between the wing and the mat, also in flexion in the same place then longitudinal and transverse forces. It is an equation almost impossible to solve to be 100% on all axes

The alloy of Titanium will be 100% on all axes, the module will be the same and the modeling can be totally computed which is almost impossible with carbon
In the end the theory of the modules is good, but in practice, the Titanium is much higher in rigidity in the case of the fuselage

That's why, from my point of view, carbon is probably not the best material for a fuselage. It is on the other hand for a mat or wings provided only that the implementation is perfect

In the case of titanium, pure Titanium does not have an excellent stiffness, as is the pure aluminum or the base steel, titanium alloys are always used according to the desired properties
Another very important interest of Titanium is its resistance to fatigue.

To conclude that although theoretically the carbon is better, in the end a fuselage made of titanium or aluminum will be much more rigid and better adapted to a removable foil if it has been correctly designed as it should in the mechanical sense

fogmeister
Frequent Poster

Postby fogmeister » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:22 pm

alpine foil: Titanium is an extremely difficult material to work with, it requires tools for machining that are still different from those used for steel or stainless steel. On the finish side, the same polishing tools are used as the injection molds due to the hardness.

The great interest of Titanium is its extreme stiffness with relatively low weight and perfect natural resistance to corrosion. The result is a fuselage 75% finer than a carbon fuselage, a drag reduced to the bare minimum. The solidity is foolproof I can almost say that it is indestructible.

In the end the sensation of gliding is incredible with a rigidity and an exceptional precision.

Return to “Hydrofoil”