Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller area
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foiling Jibes -- Strapped or Strapless?

Postby ulx » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:31 am

I think the most important thing to learn a jibe or anything else is to do it as often as you can. It is usually the ones doing all those looong tacks with a foilboard that don't get comfortable with basic manoeuvres. My advice is, do it again and again and again. If I really want to progress my tacks are of 100m at most.

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009

Postby rightguard » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:32 am

Just wanted to add a little coming from a beginner.

Today I was going into the ribe, move both feet forward... as soon as the board hit the water I would move the other foot back and finish the jibe. I got a couple where I would only touch down for a couple seconds. Not the best but it was helping me figure out how it's suppose to feel.

junebug
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: Twintip
Foil

Postby junebug » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:22 pm

I am starting to get it on my weak side. My problem, as identified in my first post, was that I wasn't turning my hips on the foot switch. This was making me unstable and making it difficult to put the new back foot far enough back. Over the last couple of weeks I realized that I wasn't penguining my feet enough. I was just moving my new front foot forward without angling it toward my other one and, accordingly, my hips weren't rotating. I've realized that angling my foot forces my hips to rotate.

It's weird how that was just instinctive on my strong side but I really had to think about it on my weak side.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Postby plummet » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:06 pm

ulx wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:31 am
I think the most important thing to learn a jibe or anything else is to do it as often as you can. It is usually the ones doing all those looong tacks with a foilboard that don't get comfortable with basic manoeuvres. My advice is, do it again and again and again. If I really want to progress my tacks are of 100m at most.
I think this is the key to all hydrofoil learning! do it over and over again. I've just had 3 months of foiling. and i've regressed back. Now I have a new job that means no mid week kiting I may only get to foil once or twice a month. I wonder if i'll ever sort the foiling jybe given that wont be spending enough time on the water often enough to cement it in?

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet

Postby pj sofine » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:20 am

Dang,I havent' even tried my foil out yet, these stories of mass impalements are very troubling! :duh: :smash:Looks so easy in all the videos.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Postby plummet » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:58 am

pj sofine wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:20 am
Dang,I havent' even tried my foil out yet, these stories of mass impalements are very troubling! :duh: :smash:Looks so easy in all the videos.
It doesn't take long to figure out how to go crash so you don't get hit by the foil.

cwood
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:13 pm

I have about 30 sessions and have never hit the wings or mast with any part of my body. My pain has been from failed gybe attempts and having foot torqued in the straps...even loose sometimes they won't let go...so painful....body goes one way, board torques the other way. Ya ya.....strapless etc.....not an option because I am an addicted foil booster.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:26 pm

My first board had a deadly combo of just enough weight, volume, nose rocker and point to really run after a crash and if you crashed off the front, it was coming ! Now on a low volume, round and short board with low rocker that I can usually get to ditch with a big of front foot guidance during a bail. If not, it often comes to a quick stop anyway. Still, despite generally knowing how to crash, its easy to get complacent. Had a nice mast across upper quad hit on one of my first sessions this spring. No big deal, but enough to refocus me a bit.

AndersP
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Gear: Shinn Bronq
Sroka Kitefoil
Gong strutless 6+9
Ozone Edge 13

Postby AndersP » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:01 pm

plummet wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:06 pm
ulx wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:31 am
I think this is the key to all hydrofoil learning! do it over and over again. I've just had 3 months of foiling. and i've regressed back. Now I have a new job that means no mid week kiting I may only get to foil once or twice a month. I wonder if i'll ever sort the foiling jybe given that wont be spending enough time on the water often enough to cement it in?
It' s the key to all learning.

K-Roy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Fone foil

Postby K-Roy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:11 pm

yes, practice makes perfect!
however, as with many things age playes a huge role...
I practice 10x more than my Son and he is WAY ahead of me, in straples skills.

Return to “Hydrofoil”