Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite for 6-10 knots

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos, Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Gear: Cabrinha, Liquid force, Moses hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Kite for 6-10 knots

Postby abel » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:49 am

I don't know if its the weather change or what, but what I expected to be an 8-11 knots season its rather a 6-10 knots. Quite a difference :-?
It seems that the 12 m2 single strut kite that I specifically bought for hyrdrofoiling in light winds, is not enough because of the lulls. Lately I had to swim in too many times. :(

To go for a 15m foil kite or 15m single strut or a lighter 12m single strut (the one I have is 3.4 kg an there are similar weighting 2.8 );

or not to hydrofoil in such conditions, that is the question!?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 15&12, Elf 11 &7, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, Rally 6&4.
foil Ketos, Zone, OR mako, snowskis, kite-boat

Re: Kite for 6-10 knots

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:14 pm

Just to make you dream : my 15m foilkite with a 27gr cloth weights a bit less than ... 1.9 kg : -)
The paradise or winds less than 7 knots with a speed far higher than strutless LEI.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:35 pm

abel wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:49 am
I don't know if its the weather change or what, but what I expected to be an 8-11 knots season its rather a 6-10 knots. Quite a difference :-?
It seems that the 12 m2 single strut kite that I specifically bought for hyrdrofoiling in light winds, is not enough because of the lulls. Lately I had to swim in too many times. :(

To go for a 15m foil kite or 15m single strut or a lighter 12m single strut (the one I have is 3.4 kg an there are similar weighting 2.8 );

Hmmm, you got a dilemma here I can see that :roll:

A 15 m2 single strut will only give you a notch more, not that noticeable more if any, peak power than a 12 if you are average weight IMO and experiences - and will turn like a dog and be just as or even harder to keep in the air in lulls.
Personally I can not ride a 15 in 10 knots with any fun left (I get dragged downwind when toeside), but it will work just fine and you got the opposite problem here.

A 15 m2 foil kite will work and give you a lot more, but your swim ashore will still happen, it will be way more complicated (you have to roll the kite fully on the water, and to get it up on land (and avoid sand) and dry after - so can not be used for a while either - whereas with a LEI you just swim/drift ashore and relaunch and try again)
It require good skills and experience to avoid the 15 from dropping if 6 knots only (at least if you drop your current kite in this now as you write) - no problem when you can, but for many it will go wrong eventually and the swim is for real.
No biggie if you are just used to this and prepared for this cumbersome packdown and love the foilkites, but if not, it might get you to sell it again - it is one or the other always: Some buy a foilkite and love it, others sell it again quite soon, there isnt really anything in between around here at least :wink:
Of course it is the racers mostly, loving the foilkites, but there are a few non racers who use them too.

A lighter 12 or 15 m2 single or no strut kite is also an option indeed - would be my best advice in your specific case.
It will hang easier, less swims, easy to fly, and be a piece of cake IF you get a swim/drift.
Downside is in 10 knots it will flap of course, but still work perfectly and be spot on.

I also have a heavy one strut kite, 12 m2, but it can still hang (when taking care) when 4 knots so I can get ashore without swimming.
But I need 7 knots to ride usually, even with light wind gear (wing/board/lines), sometimes 6 can work.
Anyways, it can be kept in the air in way less wind than I can ride, thats the advantage to avoid getting it in the water :rollgrin:

BUT, a much lighter one will be easier to keep in the air, as it can usually just hang no matter what you do, true :D
Still not be able to ride in less wind though..
Where the foilkite, eventhough not easier to keep in the air, can RIDE in 5-6 knots, YES :naughty:

8) PF

pierre.d
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pierre.d » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:08 pm

I have a 15 strutless (storm voyager) it is not performing like a light foilkite but I prefer it to swim back to shore and it is much lighter and powerfull than a mono strut 12, it is also relatively cheap compared with a foil kite. I use it with 35m lines, 60cm wide bar in 6-10 knots conditions with a large front wing and a 52cm wide board.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and Board
Flysurfer Sonic2 9m,11m,15m,18m
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:09 pm

abel wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:49 am
It's worth it! Foiling with a racing foil kite in 6-10 knots in perfectly flat water is the best.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hollywood Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Aruba Boca Grandi
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Firewire surfboards Vader and Vanguard
LP and Slingshot Hydrofoil
Ozone Enduro, Reo, Chrono 2
Naish Pivot
BRM Cloud

Postby airsurfer » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:28 pm

also depends on your sea state and wind directions. I personally prefer Ozone Chrono V2 15M Ultralight for marginal onshore conditions 8 knots and below. If it's mostly side on or side shore Ill take an Ozone Reo 12M its a little heavier than some of the 1 strut and no strut kites but it relaunches and performs better in all conditions. Reo 12 on 35m lines will hang in the air relaunch and perform well in 6 to 10 knots for hydrofoiling. a light foil kite
can definitely help in transitions in marginal conditions and you have more lift and apparent wind.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:29 pm

pierre.d wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:08 pm
I have a 15 strutless (storm voyager) it is not performing like a light foilkite but I prefer it to swim back to shore and it is much lighter and powerfull than a mono strut 12, it is also relatively cheap compared with a foil kite. I use it with 35m lines, 60cm wide bar in 6-10 knots conditions with a large front wing and a 52cm wide board.

Yes, I also find this choice you have made Pierre, perfect for most riders :thumb:

If you want to sqeeze the last bit out of either even lower wind, or dead onshore, you have to use a foilkite and a shorter mast - that is your only way to get going.

But you might be in for a packdown and swim suddenly, that is part of extreme marginal conditions :naughty:

If you got sufficient wind in onshore, to drag further out, you can use a light LEI kite.
If not, your only choice is a short mast and a foilkite (or straps and a foilkite - then you might be able to get up foiling sideways)

8) PF

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 15&12, Elf 11 &7, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, Rally 6&4.
foil Ketos, Zone, OR mako, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:30 pm

I Peter,
why a short mast for marginal winds ? to reduce lever arm during waterstart and better climb on the board ?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:46 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:30 pm
I Peter,
why a short mast for marginal winds ? to reduce lever arm during waterstart and better climb on the board ?

No, not that, it is for ONSHORE marginal winds only, where you can not get further out than you can walk and reach the bottom.

Here you still have a pretty good chance getting up if you got a short mast, and then you can foil out over the sandbanks, once up.

If the wind is a bit from one side, you can loop the kite in marginal winds, and still get dragged out to deeper water - not possible if dead onshore.

Often (at least with a non-foil kite) you need several loops and attempts, to get up - and even with a foilkite you will get dragged to lower water in your first loop, so a short mast is the only way.

8) Peter

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos, Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Gear: Cabrinha, Liquid force, Moses hydrofoil

Postby abel » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:15 pm

pierre.d wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:08 pm
What size is your front wing?
I have a high aspect 560cm2 (Moses Silente) and wondering if it is enough for such light winds (so far the recommendations in the forum sustain that its ok).

Return to “Hydrofoil”