Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Gear: BWS / Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 20 knots and don't want it

Postby juandesooka » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:12 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:16 pm
It would be nice if you could just change board, but as said, too much kitesize difference from waveboards to hydrofoils when free and waveriding, for me.
8) PF
Whereas I will fairly regularly kite a twintip, surfboard, and foil in a single session. With our experiences so different, I can't help but think there's some missing variables here in our descriptions: different wind measuring, different wind variability, different kite styles, different riding styles, different wing capabilities, different speed preferences, differences in what feels powered, etc. It would be ideal to be able to kite the same conditions on the same day for a proper comparison, but that's not likely going to happen!

Unfortunately where I kite there aren't many foilers, so I am rarely on the water with another. I haven't yet seen the tiny kite action in person -- one day I'll be interested to see how that works, especially if it's day that someone is on a 3m while I am on an 8m, and we're both able to ride the way we want to.

Back to topic: so far for me, high end on foil has been high 20s and a 6m. I could have been on my 5m, but would be sketchy on the lulls in between. Into the 30s, not sure I'd be tempted at this point to foil -- maybe it's our wind, too gusty/holey/surgey, like riding a mechanical bull sometimes. :roll:

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:53 pm

Maybe I ride a bigger surfboard than you?

At 80 kg I ride an almost 49cm wide 28L shortboard.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Postby plummet » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:36 am

Well I definitely want to go foiling in high winds.

What is the top end of my 4m on the foil?
I don't know. Got a 30-40 forecast tomorrow. I might just find out!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m

Postby TomW » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:43 pm

I can get a North Neo 5 for a bit more than a Mono, but like the Mono in 12-9-7.
I've decided to hold off on getting a 5 until I've got more hours on the foil. I'm kiting in 20-25 on the 7 Mono and my 5-0 stubby surfboard. I'm finding I use one kite step smaller on foil, meaning 12-9, 9-7. If others are not out or on 15-17's in light wind, I'm on the 12 Mono.

Return to “Hydrofoil”