Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: What hydrofoil board to buy?

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:57 am

BWD wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:01 am
Alpine has long fuselage = more pitch stable = easier to learn.
Also has more refined wing shape I would bet. And they're carbon, less wiggling. Etc.

LF fuse shorter, wings = glass/plastic/whatever, therefoere harder I would theorize. Never tried one though. But if I did, it would also be hard for me as a novice to adapt to anything besides the foil I am used to.
LF Fun Foil was pitch twitchy with the short fuse, much better with the longer. It lifted gently at low speed and had a low stall speed, so you could cruise around very slowly, once you got the balance worked out. It was stable enough in the middle speed range, but when you started going faster it had a nasty habit of nose diving eg. toe to heel transition with a down loop.

The DA is a little more stable all around (softer response) and doesn't do the nose dive, but it's like there's a speed limiter--you get to a point you just can't go any faster no matter how much power you try to put into the board :D It's better for beginning than the LF in this aspect I think, but if your plan is to do flying gybes and tacks then you're going to need a different foil because (IMO) it won't glide well enough and be stable enough to allow the the foot changes without getting it perfect. The HG was way more roll stable than either but I found that very boring :D

Once you get used to the quirks, you don't notice them . . . until you ride a different foil and then suddenly you notice everything! :D

If you have are shifting your weight correctly, you can adapt to any foil quickly IMO.

haare
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lahti, Finland
Favorite Beaches: Egypt - Marsa Alam
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Zeeko spitfire
F one diablo 6.4 and 8
Flysurfer sonic 2 11, 13, 18
Elf Joker 15
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby haare » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:30 pm

I have been foiling for 1 year (reallt started 3 months ago) and I just bought my 3rd foil.

My recomendation for beginning. Wide front wing and long fuselage. Also arching wings or vertical wing at back.
Zeeko green and white, rlboards variofoil, alpine foil would all work nicely.
My first foil was foil fish and it is not good for a beginner. The only reson people say that is that it was the only affortable foil wgen it came out. My rlboards is much more stable and easier to control. I would not buy foil with over 90cm unless it is very choppy where you kite.

I sold my lf foil fish with the same amount i bought it. Now i am thinking of selling my rlboards setup. I went now for used mhl lift. I am more into freestyle than racing. I hope it feels fast enough. I mainly bought it because it was cheap.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:45 pm

haare wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:30 pm
My first foil was foil fish and it is not good for a beginner. The only reson people say that is that it was the only affortable foil wgen it came out
And yet so many posters came to their, Le Funny foils, defence, a little like some did with that "c" rip off.
Wish these posts were available way back when so not so many guys would have bought such a P O S!
The "funny foil" , the joke is on you! :lol:
Please note it is not available any longer.....take the money and run.....
R H

flixern
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Norway
Gear: Cabrinha, Best, Ozone, Liquid Force and RL Variofoil (Kitesyndikat)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby flixern » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:00 pm

Thanks for all the advice's!

Seems to me like I should invest a little in it and go for a brand that has been making hydrofoil's for a longer time than brands like Cabrinha. But I don't intent to race. I just want the feeling of surfing :)

I will try to keep my eyes open for a second hand hybrid-hydrofoil, with the tips in mind. Most of the recommendations seems to be models that are hydrofoil specific. When I first spend about $1500 it should have multi functionality. It is very choppy here in Norway, so ill probably go for a foil with long fuselage/mast.

The market in Norway isn't exactly flourishing, so I have to be patient!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:32 pm

Flixern,

I'm in Southern Sweden. Have a 2016 Moses fluente with 548 and 550 front wing. Great setup for beginning and progressing. Moses as module system with affordable parts for upgrade and repair. I have 16 hours and flying around 30 min without falling. Starting to work on surface transition at speed. I'm 80 kg and 57 yrs kiting 16 years.

Surfbussen.nu in Stockholm has 2016 Moses fluente on sale. Good people there. You can bolt it to any foil board with 90*165 hole pattern.

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:50 pm

^^ great suggestion. go with the moses.

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:32 pm

^^I also agree with that. Go with Moses

kitet
Rare Poster

Postby kitet » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:24 am

+1 for Moses

RagingGrandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Style: TT, HF, SB, snow, ice
Gear: nothing special

Postby RagingGrandpa » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:39 pm

From the other thread:
f2020 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:11 am
I also tried the CRX by Neil Pryde (similar to Double Agent). With both the CRX and the Double Agent I had the horrible feeling of dragging something below my feet (like catching a plastic bag on my Sword2). I didn't feel the Double Agent had a good yaw either. My Sword2 with the race wing 2016 turn much faster. I also felt the Double Agent too slow to catch the wave.

The owner of the Double Agent ended up giving up on foils after a year as he didn't enjoy it better than his surfboards! The CRX owner wasn't enthusiastic either.

There are huge differences between foils. A good one will make you addicted, a bad one probably not.
CR:X is about as cheap as new gear gets... should still be more fun than sitting on the beach.

hudstur
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Delray Beach, Florida
Boca Raton, FL
Boynton Beach, FL
Lighthouse Point, FL
Favorite Beaches: Delray Beach, FL
Hood River, OR
Floras Lake, OR
Cape Hatteras, NC
Napeague, NY
Bahamas
Kauai, Hawaii
Canada, PEI & Georgian Bay
Traverse City, MI
La Ventana, Mexico
Cabarete, DR
Florida Keys
Style: Directional Waves, Freeride, Foilboard
Gear: OCEAN RODEO Duke 5’4”, OR Flites, FOne kites, SS Mixer 5’10”, Litewavedesigns Kick S.

Postby hudstur » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:47 pm

Started with the Cabrinha Double Agent and struggled, sold it. Then got the Liquid Force Happy Foil and struggled, sold it.

Tried the LIFT Carbon Foilboard, riding the first time out. All carbon, 36” mast, 150 wing, 4’10” carbon board. Bought it and not looking back. Very smooth, rides small windchop, and simple to assemble.

Return to “Hydrofoil”