Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Sanding / Painting my Sword 2

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

Jugglajon
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Lytham, or wherever I end up.
Favorite Beaches: Clee, Lytham, Holbox, Keros, Long Bay - Turks and Caicos, Rawai, OBX
Style: freeride, surf, freerace, ski, landboard
Gear: Axis 136 limited
Airush Sector V3 60
13m Cab Velocity
10m ozone edge
15m chrono v2
Taaroa sword2
Axis race foilboard
Brand Affiliation: Holbox Kiteboarding school manager

Sanding / Painting my Sword 2

Postby Jugglajon » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:53 pm

I've been riding my sword 2 for a couple of years now, its still in great shape with only very minor scratches but I'm thinking of having ago at touching it up.
I've been watching Gunnar's videos and he seems to suggest that most race foils need touching up from the start .

I'm nervous to start painting and sanding as I find lots of contradictory information here.

From the search function it seems that bondo and wet sanding is one option.
painting and sanding is another ,does it matter which paint?

The thing which i'm finding difficult to understand is what grit paper I need to use and where.
And more importantly is it worth it?

I ride mainly in warm 28C salty water. I don't currently race but love blasting fast.

Cheers

Jonny

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Wake, surf, freeride
Gear: Slingshot RPM 14/12/10 Fuels 13/9/7
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Sanding / Painting my Sword 2

Postby TheJoe » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:30 pm

Is it carbon or aluminum? If it's carbon I would sand it down and epoxy the hot coat and not paint. I would do the same if it's aluminum but not sure. I know to paint aluminum you have to acid wash it for the paint to stick. Then again I'm lazy and would just sand down the nicks and leave it that.

Yodarocket31
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Lake Tahoe, CA
Sherman Island, CA
Gear: North, Slingshot, F-One, Naish, Taaroa, Ride Engine

Postby Yodarocket31 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:34 pm

I have the Sword 2 also, and my motivation to work on the foil was mainly due to the singing/whistling noises it generated from Day 1, straight out of the box. After much frustration my research (talking/emailing/phoning people) only got me so far. Even the people that told me their Sword 2 was silent and fast couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me exactly how they did it. Trial and error got me the rest of the way. At the very least, I can tell you what worked for me. I have developed my own theories during this process, which may be completely wrong, but at least I am happy with the results.

As of now, my Sword 2 is 100% silent on all points of sail, and rides smoother and more stable than ever.

1. Disassemble your foil and follow George's instructions for Bondo glazing/spot putty in this video:
phpBB [video]
. Apply to mast and both wings. I did not apply the Bondo to my fuselage except for a couple scratched spots. There are more than one Bondo products that can be used, but you want the 1-part product here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002 ... UTF8&psc=1

2. Wet sand. I wet-sanded the Bondo off with 400 grit to start. I started sanding within 30 minutes of applying the Bondo (it dries FAST), and all the excess Bondo comes off quickly. I did all sanding by hand, no sanding block. When you sand, sand at 45 degrees to the edges of your wing & mast edges (trailing, leading, etc.). I sanded each surface in both directions, first 45 degrees one way, then the other way. Make a few passes first with 400grit, then work your way to higher grits, making several passes up and down the foil with each grit #. I have experimented with several grits of sandpaper. At first, I sanded every surface all the way to 1200. I rode the foil for several months like this, but there was always a noticeable humming noise on starboard tacks, when riding slow. I never figured out why.

I recently went at it again and re-Bondo'ed the entire foil (filling in some newer scratches along the way), and followed the grit numbers from one of Gunnar's videos (Levitaz review, maybe?) just to see what would happen. I sanded the wings to 600 grit all over (first 400, then to 600). On the mast, I sanded the trailing edge (back half of mast) to 600. I sanded the leading edge (front half) of the mast to 1200 grit. All sanding at 45 degrees to the edges. The foil is now completely silent, and feels more stable again.

3. Trailing Edge treatment. George has another video where he says to sand the trailing edges of mast and wings "square" with a sanding block in order to eliminate noise from your foil. I tried this numerous times over several months. It made it WORSE. Way worse. I may be wrong, but I concluded that for whatever reason, maybe because it is so thin, the mast profile of the Sword 2 is not compatible with this square trailing edge geometry. My trailing edges are now all still relatively sharp, and I have no noise. I think the key was sanding by hand. Perhaps the variations in pressure as you sand across the trailing edge create imperfections in the surface that break up the flow of water, eliminating the resonance of the material that creates the singing noises. Again, only my own theory.

4. Check that your wings are at 90 degrees to your fuselage. In spite of the high quality of production on these foils, you can still screw your rear stabilizer on at an angle slightly off from 90 degrees. I made a template on a big piece of paper using a T-square that I set my assembled foil on top of. The lines on the paper show me straight lines for my fuselage, and straight lines at 90 degrees for my my rear stab. I check it every couple/few sessions and I find that even with snug screws, the wing can move or get bumped out of place. When the wing is not at 90 degrees, the foil may generate noise, and it can also be less stable.

This is what worked for me. I am not a racer but, like you, I enjoy pushing the gear and myself and going fast from time to time. A different grit on the foil might make it a couple knots faster, but I am not sure I can tell with my experience level.

For me, the main thing is successfully eliminating the horrible noise, and knowing that I can "tune up" my foil periodically when it feels a little wonky.

Jugglajon
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Clee, Lytham, Holbox, Keros, Long Bay - Turks and Caicos, Rawai, OBX
Airush Sector V3 60
13m Cab Velocity
10m ozone edge
15m chrono v2
Taaroa sword2
Axis race foilboard

Postby Jugglajon » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:43 pm

Wow cheers for that Yoda rocket.
I'm glad you got the singing sorted out, I just got used to it I guess.
I will give it a shot when I get hold of some bondo. Would it work the same with paint?

Yodarocket31
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Tahoe, CA
Sherman Island, CA
Gear: North, Slingshot, F-One, Naish, Taaroa, Ride Engine

Postby Yodarocket31 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:50 pm

Jugglajon wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:43 pm
I will give it a shot when I get hold of some bondo. Would it work the same with paint?
I have no experience doing this with paint, as I never tried it. I met Sword 2 riders at my local spot who had good results simply from sanding, so you might just try that without including the Bondo step.

Filling tiny cracks with the Bondo "seems" to improve the stability of the foil. I believe it also reduces cavitations from air bubbles. It seems to me that after treating the foil with Bondo + Sanding, I can make tighter foiling jibes without the annoying crashing/cavitating that you sometimes get midway through the turn.

It also seems to have more of that "locked-in" feeling when you are cranking on any point of sail.

Jugglajon
Medium Poster
Airush Sector V3 60
13m Cab Velocity
10m ozone edge
15m chrono v2
Taaroa sword2
Axis race foilboard

Postby Jugglajon » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:11 pm

I'll try to get some bondo but may be tricky here in Holbox. I've not really experienced ventilation or cavitation on jibes other than when I've foiled to close to the sun but I think I've experienced what you talk about during tight fast 360s though again I put that down to surface piercing of the wing. Mmm interesting.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:11 pm

Jugglajon wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:43 pm
Hi Jon, probably don't remember me but went to Holbox a few years back with wife. I am the one who ripped his twintip strap off his board first day, going above the sandbard ;)

Anyway I am new to foiling but read on another thread that people who race like to paint the foil, first of all it helps spot scratches and imperfection and fill in small scratch.
Sounds like they sand lightly with 400, spray paint then wet sand under water tap in bathroom with 800, 1000, 1200 and the crazy go all the way up to 2000.
I have to repaint my freeride foil I will probably stop at 800...
I bought some marine grade white matte primer for my zeeko wing.

Jerome & Jesse

Jugglajon
Medium Poster
Airush Sector V3 60
13m Cab Velocity
10m ozone edge
15m chrono v2
Taaroa sword2
Axis race foilboard

Postby Jugglajon » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:19 pm

Hey Jerome
Yeah I remember you and the board. F/one trax if I'm not mistaken.... Seen a few of your vids too. Looking good man.
ok paint is other option to look for.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:23 pm

Jugglajon wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:19 pm
Hey Jerome
Yeah I remember you and the board. F/one trax if I'm not mistaken.... Seen a few of your vids too. Looking good man.
ok paint is other option to look for.
yes that's the one :thumb:

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m

Re: Sanding / Painting my Sword 2Id

Postby TomW » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:44 pm

Hej Jon. Tom here , thanks for fantastic flying lessons. Totally immersed into foiling now.

I'm not knowledgeable about foil finishing, but I do know about surface and paint prep from my indusrial design modelmaking years.

Id lightly wet sand surface with 400. Patch any bigger scratches and nicks with Bondo. Sand those spots down after cureing. Then spray on a " primer " paint . 3 thin layers with 5 min between. Let dry overnight. Then wet sand with 400-800-1200. It's ok to remove almost all paint, leaving paint in scratches and Nick's.

If you can't get any Bondo, I can mail you some if you pm me your address.

Return to “Hydrofoil”