Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Landing on the board edge with my shins. Ouch!

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Boosting lit up and overpowered
Gear: 16m NRG, 14m NRG, 12m Switchblade, 10m NRG, 145x43 Tronic, 160x41 Glide, Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Landing on the board edge with my shins. Ouch!

Postby lovethepirk » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:10 am

@Topaz Fair warning...my 2nd shin smash of 3 so far was when I was learning to go downwind. I cranked a couple miles upwind having fun finally foiling the entire time, then realized it's time to head back to home base.

Long story short, one tack direction I was going downwind, but making zero ground down shore...weird ass feeling. I tried to defy my ability and just go hard core downwind. Not a good idea. Lost the board leeward and smashed the shin on the board.

Now, I play my downwind angle much more like a beginner should and I learned you have to alter your angle downwind according to what the wind and water are giving you. When you feel less pull from the harness I bar in and grab a few more degrees less downwind and then when the water and wind allow me to go more down wind I slowly test it out but cautiously.

The thing I like and appreciate about trying to head sharply downwind is that foiling becomes that much more intense, it's like one moment you are locked in hauling ass upwind, then all the sudden you are ice skating for the first time and the intensity is thru the roof.

btw...wind please :cry:

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:23 pm

Topaz wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:47 pm
I have the Cab.Double Agent. I guess it has the sharpest edges, as the construction is like a twin tip.

I think I'll try wearing my soccer shin guards. It's hot in Florida for a thick wet suit.
One of my buddy ordered some soccer gear or something like that to protect his shin.

I feel your pain, I have similar board, Shinn el Stubbo. My first session riding toeside was quite painful, kept falling shin first right on the perpendicular rail as the foil would roll away ;)
the 4/3 wetsuit helped ;)

Though after that 1 session it didn't happen anymore, no more injury last few session, getting better at falling. Though the other day while riding downwind the dowloop pulled me out of the board and board kept falling into me hitting the back of my helmet ;)

Topaz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Naish / Cabrinha / North

Postby Topaz » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:40 pm

LOL! Soccer guards are the way to go!
I prefer the soccer style to the bruise style!
Mine have a thick sock that kind of protects the ankle as well and keeps it tight. But I still have to try on them on the water.

Four days I guess and my shin is still in pain. I think I don't have any bone injure, because I can put my weight on the leg with no problem, but it hurts a lot if somethings lightly touches my shin and it's still pretty swollen. I don't feel like risking another close encounter with those edges for the moment.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:49 pm

Topaz wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:40 pm
LOL! Soccer guards are the way to go!
I prefer the soccer style to the bruise style!
Mine have a thick sock that kind of protects the ankle as well and keeps it tight. But I still have to try on them on the water.

Four days I guess and my shin is still in pain. I think I don't have any bone injure, because I can put my weight on the leg with no problem, but it hurts a lot if somethings lightly touches my shin and it's still pretty swollen. I don't feel like risking another close encounter with those edges for the moment.
oh no luck, mine recover after 2 nights sleep.

Return to “Hydrofoil”