borist
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How to switch on foil

Postby borist » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:37 pm

jeromeL wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:16 pm
... or I need to downloop? I can downloop to toeside but don't have the confidence to do it with jybe yet....
Yes. You can switch your feet during the turn while downlooping, but it takes some skills so I'd recommend to learn to stay on the course after switching feet for a brief moment to get stable (twist your hips forward), then initiate turn and downloop at the same time. Resisting extra power from downloop is easier when you are on your heels already. You can bleed extra power easily with large turn radius

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, North, Ozone, MikesLab, Taaroa

Postby cglazier » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:19 am

borist wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:37 pm
Yes. You can switch your feet during the turn while downlooping, but it takes some skills so I'd recommend to learn to stay on the course after switching feet for a brief moment to get stable (twist your hips forward), then initiate turn and downloop at the same time. Resisting extra power from downloop is easier when you are on your heels already. You can bleed extra power easily with large turn radius
Agreed Borist.

In light winds most of us find the jibe with a downloop safer and easier than the tack.

The tack is easier in stronger winds, but in light wind you can often save a marginal tack by finishing with a downloop. You shouldn't really need to downloop when tacking, but in light wind it often saves me from falling in.

:wink: CG

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Boosting lit up and overpowered
Gear: 16m NRG, 14m NRG, 12m Switchblade, 10m NRG, 145x43 Tronic, 160x41 Glide, Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board

Postby lovethepirk » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:05 am

cglazier wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:42 am
The jibe is easier for most of us because it is almost the same as the surfboard jibe. And adding a downloop really helps.

The tack is more difficult and can take hundreds of attempts. A good way to start learning is to tack on your kite surfboard (which most riders have never done). If you cannot tack your surfboard, you cannot tack a hydrofoil board.

:wink:
CG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBs8RAksLkk
cg,

Do you think the jibe results in more scary falls vs the tack? I'm not so concerned with this anymore, but I'm curious your thoughts. The jibe to me seems easier but I've fallen directly on the board a few times. I ask b/c changing feet while doing a backroll for a tack is so soft and chill vs downlooping into a new direction going downwind and having some speed.

I never enjoyed surfing b/c we don't have waves so I never used a surfboard, so I am learning without that experience. Also, we are in the no wind zone now, so any wind will be on the hydrofoil at best :-? I'm kinda looking forward to grabbing a surfboard after learning on a hydrofoil and laughing how easy it may be or may not be after learning on the HF.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, North, Ozone, MikesLab, Taaroa

Postby cglazier » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:26 am

Hi lovethepirk

Don't be afraid of falling in. You don't really need to do any of these moves with much speed (although it is easier if you do). When you fall learn to keep away from your board. Most of us work on perfecting these moves (tack and jibe) without finding them hazardous.

In my previous post I said that in light wind a jibe with a downloop was "safer" .. I simply meant more likely to keep the kite in the air.

:wink: CG

Return to “Hydrofoil”