Local Beach: Tanzania
Favorite Beaches: Wherever there is Blue water
Style: Ocean only
Gear: Undecided
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Short Mast VS Long Mast

Postby Big Wally » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:59 pm

I think its been established that riding a short mast in the beginning is easier than the long one.

Can anyone describe what different steps need to be taken on the start to get riding the board on the water VS the Short Mast.

Please don't say ditch the short one etc. I understand that and WANT to ride the long Mast. Or it's the same because it's not.
Or some engineering definition of why. Just how to start on the long vs short. Do we need more power?

OR is it a Fig Newton of my imagination?

And constructive input would be welcome. If none that's ok.

Thank you!

BW

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Re: Short Mast VS Long Mast

Postby tegirinenashi » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:28 pm

One consideration for preferring long mast is water surface condition. At my local spot 2 ft chop is norm. One can't possibly fly with short mast there. This might be the reason why I have seen somebody with short mast only once. Admittedly, learning to fly in choppy conditions is a challenge with long mast as well. But if you have glassy condition, short mast should be definitely easier at all stages of learning - board maneuvering and water start, board-on-the-water, brief up and down hops above the water, and sustained flight.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:41 pm

Big Wally wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:59 pm
I think its been established that riding a short mast in the beginning is easier than the long one.

Can anyone describe what different steps need to be taken on the start to get riding the board on the water VS the Short Mast.

Please don't say ditch the short one etc. I understand that and WANT to ride the long Mast. Or it's the same because it's not.
Or some engineering definition of why. Just how to start on the long vs short. Do we need more power?

OR is it a Fig Newton of my imagination?

And constructive input would be welcome. If none that's ok.

Thank you!

BW
The short mast does not punish you hard everytime you make a mistake, thats the difference. Once you know of to foil, its much easier on the long mast.

Big Wally
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tanzania
Favorite Beaches: Wherever there is Blue water
Style: Ocean only
Gear: Undecided

Postby Big Wally » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:46 pm

Ok. But on the first dive of the kite and getting going what needs to be done differently is my Question? Do I need to compensate somehow differently on the start with the Long Mast ?

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby rightguard » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:22 pm

I can only tell you my experience. First lesson was on 24" mast which I think is good to get the feeling of foil. Second day bought ful size mast and went for it. I personally didn't feel any difference as far as drag under the board. In the beginning I had a hard time stabilizing flight and having a longer mast gave me more room between touch down and the foil coming out of the water.

At our beach I see people trying with the shortest mast and they can't really do it. As soon as you start to fly the foil comes out of the water.

I say take a lesson to try it, then buy a full size mast.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:29 pm

Big Wally wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:46 pm
Ok. But on the first dive of the kite and getting going what needs to be done differently is my Question? Do I need to compensate somehow differently on the start with the Long Mast ?

There is no difference whatsoever, how to ride different lengths.

Only is, when you get used to the longer ones, you have to be VERY alert not to foil too high when using the short ones, as you will crash a lot now, and no room for error in chop and flying transitions.

But going from short to long, easy, rightguard is spot on, so just go out and ride :thumb:

8) PF

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:47 pm

As a noob, when starting, dive the kite, follow the kite with board as you get up, bring kite up, dive again and bring kite up second time as you steer board onto side wind course. Ride straight in upright stance in crouch.

Return to “Hydrofoil”