Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Fone Bandit, Flysurfer Sonic FR
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Impressive DIY e-foil

Postby fun2kite » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:49 pm

Yes, amazing. Watched all 13 videos .
So many people are excited about what he done and he is getting offers from electrical airplane company to produce it commercially.

Quite a guy!

grigorib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 7m/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m/15m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m, Best Kahoona 11.5m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Spleene Door 59, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, MHL Lift 2013, Slingshot Ghost Whisper 42"/545/328, Moses 71cm/548/325, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 42", Slingshot Coupe 6', Ocean Rodeo Mako 135, MBS Comp 95x

Postby grigorib » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:04 pm

All they gotta do is to sell it as an add-on set and instantly they have thousands of people who'd be buying it anything south of $2000

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:26 pm

Why do they stand something like one foot or 30 cm (or more) further forward than when kitefoiling, it seems, on several different e-foils ?

A huge difference - it must be the lack of forward pull (and lever) from the kite (that makes a lever compared to the drag thus you stand further back), but it still does not really balance when you know the combined center of effort is about 20 - 25 % from the wing leading edge even with a slight down pitch from the rear wing ?

Or maybe they are trimmed to be extremely stable, meaning rear wing really low AOA, than our typical kitefoils ?

Amazed about this huge difference - as it seems the propulsion is close to being in line with the fuselage/wing :roll:

Or am I the only one thinking this is "odd" (but true one can see) ?

8) PF

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Postby plummet » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:37 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:26 pm
Why do they stand something like one foot or 30 cm (or more) further forward than when kitefoiling, it seems, on several different e-foils ?

A huge difference - it must be the lack of forward pull (and lever) from the kite (that makes a lever compared to the drag thus you stand further back), but it still does not really balance when you know the combined center of effort is about 20 - 25 % from the wing leading edge even with a slight down pitch from the rear wing ?

Or maybe they are trimmed to be extremely stable, meaning rear wing really low AOA, than our typical kitefoils ?

Amazed about this huge difference - as it seems the propulsion is close to being in line with the fuselage/wing :roll:

Or am I the only one thinking this is "odd" (but true one can see) ?

8) PF
It makes complete sense to me. The drive is coming from low down and the back of the foil. Its trying to lift the foil out of the water compared to the 6 foot higher attachment point of the harness tryin to leaver the foil down.

On a side note. Dang the 3d VR cad stuff is insanely cool!

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Boosting lit up and overpowered
Gear: 16m NRG, 14m NRG, 12m Switchblade, 10m NRG, 145x43 Tronic, 160x41 Glide, Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board

Postby lovethepirk » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:25 am

plummet wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:37 pm
On a side note. Dang the 3d VR cad stuff is insanely cool!
Yea that was something I haven't seen before, pretty cool. That guy has a sweet setup and probably earned, kudos. I'm impressed he completed the project so well.

Funny as hell when he realized the power of the motor.....when he said "this is actually quite dangerous...alright let me unplug this real quick, so I feel a bit safer!"
https://youtu.be/4kYP2Elk0zE?t=2m28s

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:13 pm

Uh oh wait for it :D

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos, Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Gear: Cabrinha, Liquid force, Moses hydrofoil

Postby abel » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:17 pm

grigorib wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:04 pm
All they gotta do is to sell it as an add-on set and instantly they have thousands of people who'd be buying it anything south of $2000
Definitely an add-on is the way to go for me. Hope the Chinese enter the market for reasonable prices re: recreational drones 8)

slowboat
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: BRM, Shinn, North, Ocean Rodeo

Postby slowboat » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:38 am

I think lots of companies will be getting into this. Not sure if anyone (Lift?) has any patents.

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m

Postby Bletti » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:14 pm

slowboat wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:38 am
I think lots of companies will be getting into this. Not sure if anyone (Lift?) has any patents.
If anyone has cool patents, my guess is Don Montague and his Jetfoiler have some pretty interesting IP. He have been very careful not to show any detailed photos of the design, but it sounds like the ducted fan is imbedded within the fuselage, which is the next evolution beyond what Lift and the DYI guy are doing. But on that note, I'm completely jealous of this guys abilities and what he was able to make with a 3d printer and off the shelf parts! Truly remarkable.

Return to “Hydrofoil”