Hydrofoil-Begginer Advise

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

Tio
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Brand Affiliation: None

Hydrofoil-Begginer Advise

Postby Tio » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:41 pm

Hi, I would like to know if anyone could give some advise on Hydrofoil.

I´m interested on buying one and I have some doubts.

I usually ride on a Cab SB 10 mts., my weight is 90kgs.

What kind/brand of Hydrofoil would be the best for a beginner.

Board Size?
Hydro Foil Length ?
Board type?

Thanks,

Tio

BOEMIX
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: chrono v2 15m & 9m, Catalyst 7m, enduro 10m, edge 13m, access 6m
Boards: North Wam 5,10, Naish Bullet 5,4, Shinn Ronson 138x42, King Gee 150x50 and Ketos Foil freeride2

Re: Hydrofoil-Begginer Advise

Postby BOEMIX » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:05 pm

Any foil aimed at freeriding will do the job.

You can just take the one the nearest surfshop to you has.

Mine for example is a ketos foil freeride and I do everything with that foil although is not fast like the more race oriented, I don't miss any speed anyway

faklord
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby faklord » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:29 pm

@Beomix
I Also have ketos freeride 2 but with a board not designed for this foil.
I only ride with front footstraps but I think they are too far forward even on the most rearward position.
Can you tell me the distance between your front foot position the strut (mast).
Thanks

hshim007
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Yas Island
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: Mhl foil, Paipo boardriding Maui, cloud D kites
Brand Affiliation: Love the BRM Clouds!

Postby hshim007 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:17 am

The main thing when you're starting is get a LOW aspect ratio foil (ie.Front wing Long front to back (chord length) Not the ones that have a front wing that is short front to back ; race type foil). There are lots to choose from. If you fly Cabrinha you might try a double agent foil and board. Not the greatest construction from what I've heard but a good beginner foil. Liquid Force foil fish is another decent one also the Shinn P foil is supposedly very easy to ride.

People are mixed between floaty boards with straps to neutral buoyancy boards (Cabrinha double agent, Shinn El Stubbo, Shinn Jackson) that you can sink the windward rail to get your feet on without straps. My personal preference is the later (I don't like straps for safety reasons) especially if you have the experience of riding strapless on a surfboard. What ever you choose, make sure you start with a board with a fair bit of surface area so you can ride it on the water with the foil submerged for the first few sessions. It's a pretty different feeling and you need to get used to riding first with the board on the water with the foil attached. You'll obviously be trying to ride at very low speeds to start. If you're 90 kg and say you only have a 10 m kite I would say don't go out unless the winds are strong enough that you would be able to ride your kite high in the air on your TT or surfboard. The SB is a pretty powerful kite and not ideal for foiling. It'll be ok to learn as you will be familiar with it but if the foil bug hits you, you'd be better served by a one strut or strutless kite later on if you pursue freestyle or a foil kite if you want to race around.

Tio
Medium Poster

Postby Tio » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:40 pm

Thanks for you recommendations.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m

Postby TomW » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:53 pm

Tio, I'm pretty new at it, 17 sessions and flying back N forth. I'm 57 yrs, been kiting 16 yrs.
I bought a 2016 Moses Fluente because it's modular and reasonably priced. Purchased a 548 front wing later to go slower, but really don't notice a lot of difference.
I live in area with a lot of rocks, so highly recommend going with a more durable wing like one made of G10 if you do too. I've repaired mine 3 times, good thing I make boards and have some basic repair skills.
I also tried a high volume board that I found too floaty and cumbersome in the water, it also floated high on the rail making waterstarts difficult. I went over to a low volume board.
Finally, I got foothooks. They are the best. I've ridden strapless 6+ years, but if it's choppy and confused water it's really hard without the hooks, the foil has totally different dynamic.
Summary :
get an entry level foil that is durable or be prepared to repair it yourself. Of you live in area of deep water and no underwater obstacles, less of a problem.
Get a low volume board and foothooks.

lovethepirk
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Hydrofoiling for the summer!
Gear: 16m NRG, 14m NRG, 12m Switchblade, 10m NRG, 145x43 Tronic, 160x41 Glide, Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board

Postby lovethepirk » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:58 am

Make sure you pay up for a solid set of adjustable straps. You want to make sure they can open up nice and loose. My opinion is you can't make them too loose, just crank them open when you are learning, tighten them down after you have eaten shit about 100 times. You'll know how tight to make them by then. I'm just about there, but I'm keeping them very loose, probably twice as loose as my most open twintip setup, maybe more. My entire foot can do a full rotation in the straps in case one foot comes out and the board goes the wrong way.

I got my board with shitty straps, Chinook was the model name if I remember...horrible straps. I had to pay up and buy 2 sets of Cabrinha surfboard straps(4 total), but they open up huge and I can tell you I've eaten shit a few times and the board had just wrenched the wrong way and my foot just spins inside the strap so it's highly unlikely you will hurt your ankle if you open those staps up nice and large when learning.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m

Postby TomW » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:26 pm

I know this is a constant debate about straps and hooks and strapless.
I have heard about injury of a local Rider and seen video of the guy who makes the noob mistake of leaning back while foil mast is more vertical, his body falls to windward, while the board stays on its path, but falling to leeward, his feet get jammed further into the Straps and ankles get hyper extended. Same as local guy I know, he got lucky and only needed to rest 4 weeks ( and a young person).
So yes, you can bail with straps falling forward etc, but this specific kind of fall is dangerous.
I don't see the point of denial or debate, maybe it's a small risk, but foothooks are good compromise if you don't want to go strapless.

tegirinenashi
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Cabrinha CO2 9.5m, Naish x2 14m, Litewave 161

Postby tegirinenashi » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:22 pm

There is no competition between hooks and straps. When you fall your feet gets out. All the time.

There is no competition between hooks and strapless either. I have been strapless on SB for some time, but oh boy, water starting foil is not as easy. With hooks I just maneuver and angle the board and can keep both hands on the bar for initial powers stroke. It is much easier to deliver the precise amount of pull with both hand on the bar vs. one handed, and I have all the time in the world not to rush waterstart before the mast sinks. Its one thing to learn strapless waterstart anew, vs. when experienced it 100 times or so strapped/hooked.

To put it bluntly, foot hooks is the most notable recent invention in kiteboarding.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:53 pm

Buy the best foil you can afford. Most of the people who post about getting bored with foiling or being frustrated bought the cheapest foils on the market and suffer the consequences.

Return to “Hydrofoil”