Re: Hydrofoil-Begginer Advise

Postby blu » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:26 pm

faklord wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:17 pm
NorCalNomad wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:34 am
blu wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:16 pm
I have 2017 Lift 150 wing with Happy Foil board and 82 cm mast and works great for my first steps in foiling . The strap opens when my foot is in trouble.
The cost of this foil is comparable with most basic aluminium foils and is solid and no sharp edges.
Here are some pics.

Cool little safety strap system you've got going there. Any accidental releases?
I'd be more worried about a foot/lower leg going through the strap and getting stuck!
that's the good point, bungee strap works for me in the low speed wave fun but for my high speed rig I installed hooks
Attachments
WP_20170501_11_35_42_Pro.jpg

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby dylan* » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:54 pm

tegirinenashi wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:22 pm
There is no competition between hooks and straps. When you fall your feet gets out. All the time.

There is no competition between hooks and strapless either. I have been strapless on SB for some time, but oh boy, water starting foil is not as easy. With hooks I just maneuver and angle the board and can keep both hands on the bar for initial powers stroke. It is much easier to deliver the precise amount of pull with both hand on the bar vs. one handed, and I have all the time in the world not to rush waterstart before the mast sinks. Its one thing to learn strapless waterstart anew, vs. when experienced it 100 times or so strapped/hooked.

To put it bluntly, foot hooks is the most notable recent invention in kiteboarding.
strapless water starts get easier over time. i've had maybe 6 or 7 sessions now and it's no longer a big deal, still not as easy as with straps (i doubt it ever will be) but its easy enough that im no longer afraid to ride out too far where the sharks are :D

tegirinenashi
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Cabrinha CO2 9.5m, Naish x2 14m, Litewave 161

Postby tegirinenashi » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:40 pm

It is not only waterstart. When your feet are in designated place, the feet pressure balance is automatic. When there is slight variation in feet placement you have to put more effort into feet pressure adjustment. This is just one more variable to get a handle to, which is a challenge when there are other factors. After one dials down flawless fly (without occasional touchdowns) then, sure, going strapless is not big deal. To summarize: people learn stuff one thing at a time; learning stuff in parallel is much more difficult.

ldhr
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: surf, foil
Gear: north neo kites, slingshot foils

Postby ldhr » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:11 pm

I signed up.
I followed the instructions and 2 weeks later I can foil. I was actually getting long rides on the foil on my 2nd and 3rd session on the shortest mast.
I did my first 4 sessions on 15" mast and then the next 4 on the 24" mast.
I didn't move up in length until I was doing long rides on the short length.
I was able to do transitions with the board on the water - similar to a surf board.

After 8 sessions I could stay up on the foil, ride regular and toeside, go upwind and downwind, and turn back and forth between the 2.
I've graduated to the 30" mast.
Each time I graduated to a longer mast - the first session I'd revert to being a kook, then make fast progression with each session.
The learning has been easy, pain free, and I continue to progress with every session.
I definitely recommend the Foil Academy and the graduated length method.

Finally - I've watched a few people learn by using a full length mast from day one - it's not pretty. Some very athletic people can do it - but the graduated length progression looks to be much easier and faster progression in the long run.

Oh - and thumbs up for hooks.

Return to “Hydrofoil”