Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera
Brand Affiliation: F-One

Re: F-One 800 foil turned to mush in one session

Postby windmaker » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:27 am

First of all, this is not a 2000 dollar foil more like 1500 so if you paid that much you got ripped off in the first place.

The problem is with the front wing. F-One had a few problems with a few early production wings (beginning 2016) with the conical part that slots into the mast. The part has been reinforced on earlier models. We had 2 foils (out of a approximately a dozen in my area) with this problem and they were immediately replaced by F-One no questions asked.

Apart from that a great foil. I have been foiling since 2005 and tried many (I own a Taaroa Sword 2) and thinking of getting one as it is very light for an aluminium mast and has excellent performance for such an easy foil .

Mitaka
Medium Poster
Style: wave riding
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, BRM Cloud C5, F-One MITU, KETOS Wave & Wave XL foil + Pocket 107 & 118 foilboard

Postby Mitaka » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:41 am

phpBB [video]

Either:
1. The screw is not tight enough.
2. The screw is too long or the internal thread is too short
3. The conical part of the front wing or the mast is defect.

If the foil is used with loose screw then the conical part could wear and be damaged.

A friend of mine bought the 1200 SUP foil (same construction) and it is rock solid. The assembly is square conical and can not twist when properly installed unless the conical part is damaged.
Attachments
IMG_6019.JPG

james
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot

Postby james » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:09 am

RhoneF wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:31 pm
BudhaNl wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:26 pm
So you haven't even checked in with the dealer who sold it to you but start complaining online already? Faux pas, I think you know what that means.
Im sorry I upset you because of my account of my first experience of a brand new product, I was not complaining about the dealer, brand, or anything, just surprised about 2000 bucks flying out the window on day one.
So your thread title isn't complaining about the brand?

Got an issue goto the dealer you bought it from, posting on the internet will not fix it, the internet fairies won't magically appear and sort it for you.

Also if your going to ask for help/share your experience (slate something) it's usually a good idea to show what you believe the defective part to be

Not showing the wingtips makes people doubt

Thinking cured carbon can absorb water and turn to mush shows how much of a knowledge gap actually exists in this sport.

If a customer doesn't even understand the material properties of what his gear is made from then why the fuck are people buying it?

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Ozone, Axis, Moses, Zeeko, Firewire, SBS
Brand Affiliation: Foiling Basics, The Boardroom Fuerteventura, Ozone, Axiskiteboarding,Schwerelosigkite, Triggernaut,

Postby gmb13 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:21 am

Seen lots of the F-One Hybird foils with this problem on the connection breaking of getting "soft". Pretty sure your dealer can sort it out under warranty.

Gunnar

haare
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Lahti, Finland
Favorite Beaches: Egypt - Marsa Alam
Style: snowskite, freestyle
Gear: Pansh A15 12m
FS Speed 3 15m
FS Speed 15m
FS Split L
Liquid force foil Fish
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby haare » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:27 am

james wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:09 am
RhoneF wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:31 pm
BudhaNl wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:26 pm
So you haven't even checked in with the dealer who sold it to you but start complaining online already? Faux pas, I think you know what that means.
Im sorry I upset you because of my account of my first experience of a brand new product, I was not complaining about the dealer, brand, or anything, just surprised about 2000 bucks flying out the window on day one.

Got an issue goto the dealer you bought it from, posting on the internet will not fix it, the internet fairies won't magically appear and sort it for you.

Also if your going to ask for help/share your experience (slate something) it's usually a good idea to show what you believe the defective part to be

Thinking cured carbon can absorb water and turn to mush shows how much of a knowledge gap actually exists in this sport.

If a customer doesn't even understand the material properties of what his gear is made from then why the fuck are people buying it?
Could you guys just calm down. This guy just lost his brand new foil! It hurts. Even if it was his fault this would be unnecessary. And to be honest if hitting a rock will cause this it is just bad design. Our local driver has hit multiple times rocks with faster wings (alpine) and he has just few dings in his front wing. We have 0 evidence of any wrong use and you assume the worst. It is not helping at all.

Hope you get this sorted out. FONE is a big and reputable company. I am sure they are going to fix this :wink:
Regards
Juha

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Postby plummet » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:11 am

james wrote:

To be fair most people have no clue about the material of what they are buying.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:24 pm

james wrote:

If a guy buys a TT made with carbon ; maybe 1% of those buyers would know if polyester
or epoxy was used , ( i can tell by the smell alone) after scratching the surface with a pin.

@ james
Harsh words ; for such a stupid post Dudester !! :nono:

Bille

K-Roy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Fone foil

Postby K-Roy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:42 pm

I have the first version Fone foil. (full carbon)
One of the reasons I chose this model was the simplicity of the design.
One long screw to hold the front wing the mast and stabilizer together and its good to go...
My home spot is a shallow lake where water level is waist deep for 200m from the shore line so we often "run aground " sometimes with full speed.
I have not fund any problems with it.

cheers

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m

Postby Bletti » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:13 pm

james wrote:

Calm down James. I'd be mad too if something I just bought didn't work and it isn't in the warranty terms to remain radio silent in order to be served (as far as I know)...

I'm sure it will all be resolved with F-One, as others have said there have been defects in the past that have been replaced. The internet fairies might even dust it with pixie dust and summon a replacement more promptly :lol: :lol:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:50 pm

Just one sidenote here: Yes, our carbon foils can take some hits indeed, BUT, you can also break even the most solid build if you hit anything, no doubt.

So to say that a "sane" foil should be able to hit something is IMO very wrong :roll:

Eventhough they usually can take a lot of beating indeed, (and good for us buyers)

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”