Back footstrap position

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Back footstrap position

Postby Pedro Marcos » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:30 pm

So i decided to try some backloops and jumps and inserted my back footstrap in the most forward positon of my T40 Moses Board, this position sits my backfoot behind the foil and i normaly put my foot over or slightly in front on the foil.

So now with the foot in the strap ive no balance on the foil, it seems ive to put my weight much forward all the time and feels completly unnatural...

The question is: do i need to get used to this 2 stances, foot on strap and foot out of strap, or im missing something here?

Thanks

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Back footstrap position

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:40 pm

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:30 pm
So i decided to try some backloops and jumps and inserted my back footstrap in the most forward positon of my T40 Moses Board, this position sits my backfoot behind the foil and i normaly put my foot over or slightly in front on the foil.

So now with the foot in the strap ive no balance on the foil, it seems ive to put my weight much forward all the time and feels completly unnatural...

The question is: do i need to get used to this 2 stances, foot on strap and foot out of strap, or im missing something here?

Thanks

Not sure how experienced you are Pedro - you learn REALLY fast is my guess, but not that many days/years on the foils yet ?

Most beginners stand a lot further forward.
The better you get, the more you move your rear foot rear, as then you can push and turn and do tricks much better, and still feel in balance.

Also, when you have to jibe, you will put your rear foot in front of the strap of course, and it is important that the trim is not wrong now, in order to make a foiling jibe :thumb:

I can not tell if your trim is wrong - but I can say for sure, that most riders find the rearwards rear strap position too far rear at first, but later they find it just perfect :naughty:

8) PF

RhoneF
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: Cabrinha - F-One

Postby RhoneF » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:51 pm

Once you get the hang of the lift the foil generates you can tell how much pressure you have to have on the front of the board. Placing your back foot further back, in the footstrap, means you'll have to put even more weight onto your front foot. feels like your stance is too wide at first, but you get more control I find.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:34 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:40 pm
Pedro Marcos wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:30 pm

Thanks

Not sure how experienced you are Pedro - you learn REALLY fast is my guess, but not that many days/years on the foils yet ?

Most beginners stand a lot further forward.
The better you get, the more you move your rear foot rear, as then you can push and turn and do tricks much better, and still feel in balance.

Also, when you have to jibe, you will put your rear foot in front of the strap of course, and it is important that the trim is not wrong now, in order to make a foiling jibe :thumb:

I can not tell if your trim is wrong - but I can say for sure, that most riders find the rearwards rear strap position too far rear at first, but later they find it just perfect :naughty:

8) PF
Ive about 3 months of Foiling, but in that 3 months, around 60 sessions, half of them in perfect flat water.

Im now able to foil jibe (still some touchdowns) and do the 360s , learning Foil tacks and getting abit frustrated so putted the straps to do some freestyle, im pretty good on the twintip so i just wanted to use my TT skills.

Ok, i guess ive to insist abit on that weird stance and see how it goes, i though i could imediatly do some back and front loops but not really lol :)

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:15 pm

Tried it again today, it seems better if im more powered, underpowered i cant really have such a open stance...

Return to “Hydrofoil”