Line Length using foil kite

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Line Length using foil kite

Postby Pedro Marcos » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:18 pm

Ive got a 12m Storm Voyager that ive tested in many wind conditions and i came to a conclusion that very hardly i can get going under 6-7 knots, and even when i can, im quite underpowered.

With this ive decided to order an Ozone Chrono V2 Ultralight 15m, which i will get in about 1 month from now, and im curious about line lengths. The kite comes standard with 25m lines, but ive seen most of foil users using shorter lines.

The question is, for extreme light winds, 4-8 knots, what is the best line length to use? I believe the shorter lines will give me a higher high end, but wont it take some of the low end? This will be my first foil kite even, so all hints are welcome.

Thank you

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Line Length using foil kite

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:49 pm

Way shorter lines are used by racers, as they ride a couple of sizes more powered than most others.

If you want to go marginal, 30 meter lines works, I never ride with anything shorter, but also never ride my 11 m2 foilkite in more than 5-7 knots, as from 7 a 12 m2 LEI works.

But most often your 25 meter will be just dandy, as the peak power on these kites are amazing.

And you will learn to pack down and swim, be prepared for that :naughty:

8) PF

haare
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lahti, Finland
Favorite Beaches: Egypt - Marsa Alam
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Zeeko spitfire
F one diablo 6.4 and 8
Flysurfer sonic 2 11, 13, 18
Elf Joker 15

Postby haare » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:56 pm

Actually for foiling you definitely prefer longer lines if you don't jump. That is the only downside of longer lines. Everything else is better with longer lines while foiling. Foil kites turn slower so longer lines give you more room to play.

I use standard 21m lines with my kites mostly because we don't have beaches that could be used for kiting. So shorter lines are easier with waterstarts.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:58 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:49 pm
Way shorter lines are used by racers, as they ride a couple of sizes more powered than most others.

If you want to go marginal, 30 meter lines works, I never ride with anything shorter, but also never ride my 11 m2 foilkite in more than 5-7 knots, as from 7 a 12 m2 LEI works.

But most often your 25 meter will be just dandy, as the peak power on these kites are amazing.

And you will learn to pack down and swim, be prepared for that :naughty:

8) PF

With the 15m UL i hope i dont need to go more then the 25m because that kite should be quite slow turning, i was actually hoping that i can use shorter lines to make it abit faster, thats the reason i didnt got the 11 or the 13. I will make an intensive test, but every tip is welcome.

Ah, i got the Ultralight, i never dropped my Storm, even when the wind was so low i could not foil anymore, so im also hoping that the UL wont drop easily as we never get "zero" wind here, always a 4knot breeze at least.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:22 pm

I like 21m lines for freeride with my foil kites, 17m for high wind or racing. The shorter the lines, the more direct the steering feels and the easier to maneuver. I felt like adding 6m extensions to my 24m lines provided negligible benefit the times I tried it.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:23 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:22 pm
I like 21m lines for freeride with my foil kites, 17m for high wind or racing. The shorter the lines, the more direct the steering feels and the easier to maneuver. I felt like adding 6m extensions to my 24m lines provided negligible benefit the times I tried it.
Do you think you would gain any low-end by having the "standard" 25m instead of the 21m?

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:38 pm

I have the Chrono V2 15M ultralight and I use it with 25M lines and a race bar. I have flown it on 17M lines and while the kite is more responsive it's too long of a kite IMO for anything shorter than 25M. at least for me because I always loop the kite to start and on transitions. your experience/preference might be different

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:50 pm

airsurfer wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:38 pm
I have the Chrono V2 15M ultralight and I use it with 25M lines and a race bar. I have flown it on 17M lines and while the kite is more responsive it's too long of a kite IMO for anything shorter than 25M. at least for me because I always loop the kite to start and on transitions. your experience/preference might be different
What windrange can you get on 25m lines ? Also your weight and hidrofoil wing ? :) thx

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:56 am

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:50 pm
airsurfer wrote:
What windrange can you get on 25m lines ? Also your weight and hidrofoil wing ? :) thx

Pedros, you have bought the kite, and now you know you can use the std 25 m maybe 30 m for marginal winds - just fly and try it yourself thats the best way to get an idea of the low end, as numbers are soooo deceiving when trying to share.

Just beware, when not having flown a foilkite before there are some differences, like you have to back it "into" the window again in marginal winds, and pull the frontlines.
Also, when diving to get started - it pulls a lot, but when it comes close to the water and loses speed, it has way less power than your regular LEI kite - so you have to get used to this difference, but will come in time.

8) PF

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:19 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:56 am
Pedro Marcos wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:50 pm
airsurfer wrote:

Pedros, you have bought the kite, and now you know you can use the std 25 m maybe 30 m for marginal winds - just fly and try it yourself thats the best way to get an idea of the low end, as numbers are soooo deceiving when trying to share.

Just beware, when not having flown a foilkite before there are some differences, like you have to back it "into" the window again in marginal winds, and pull the frontlines.
Also, when diving to get started - it pulls a lot, but when it comes close to the water and loses speed, it has way less power than your regular LEI kite - so you have to get used to this difference, but will come in time.

8) PF
Yes ill make some testing and experiences, from the feedback i got from your guys ill test with 30,25,21,17 lines in the same wind conditions and see how it goes :) The lines i already have, missing the kite :jump:

Return to “Hydrofoil”