A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1900
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

How easy is it to over "edge" a LEI?

Postby NorCalNomad » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:35 pm

So I use North Dice or a Juice when I'm riding my foil, because I also strapless surf and do wakestyle with them. It feels like when I really try to set a really high upwind angle on them I can essentially "edge" them "out" of the wind window so they don't make anymore power. Is this just a common thing on LEI that aren't designed to set super high upwind angles? Or is it edging so much that I just need more power out of the kite?

Thanks!

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Scheveningen, Domburg, Rilland, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Binnenschelde, Vrouwenpolder, Oostvoorne, Rockanje, Grevelingen, Borssele.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Switch Helium V1 18m Element V3 13m-7m V4 9m-5m Legacy V1 10m-14m Slingshot Fuel 2005
Switch MJComp V2 136x41.5 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster Nobile 555 125x38
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How easy is it to over "edge" a LEI?

Postby Faxie » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:43 pm

Depower. The kite needs to keep up with the shifting forward of your apparent window when going hard upwind.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Postby edt » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:57 pm

what faxie said. kites have to breath. You probably only need an inch of depower.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:52 pm

Exactly - and IMO even more.

I have all my hydrofoil bars set to about 8-10 cm (or 3-4 inch) longer rearlines, than when riding a waveboard or a twintip, and this is most often spot on.

So you ride your kites, when on a hydrofoil, with a lot more "depower" so to speak, to get max power and correct trim :thumb:

Meaning, get rid of all your old habits from other boards and kites - it is a new world where you turn by making a "yaw" reaction instead of pushing an edge, and your kites fly way better and deliver power when depowered :naughty:

8) PF

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Pedro Marcos » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:09 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:52 pm
Exactly - and IMO even more.

I have all my hydrofoil bars set to about 8-10 cm (or 3-4 inch) longer rearlines, than when riding a waveboard or a twintip, and this is most often spot on.

So you ride your kites, when on a hydrofoil, with a lot more "depower" so to speak, to get max power and correct trim :thumb:

Meaning, get rid of all your old habits from other boards and kites - it is a new world where you turn by making a "yaw" reaction instead of pushing an edge, and your kites fly way better and deliver power when depowered :naughty:

8) PF
I was thinking in doing this for already a few weeks, now im doing it :)

Return to “Hydrofoil”