Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

17m vs 14m LEI?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

lovethepirk
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Hydrofoiling for the summer!
Gear: 16m NRG, 14m NRG, 12m Switchblade, 10m NRG, 145x43 Tronic, 160x41 Glide, Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 17m vs 14m LEI?

Postby lovethepirk » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:47 pm

Had a crazy ride this weekend on the 14m...17-22mph. I wanted to TT, but I really wanted to foil as well and I was not in the mood to blow up multiple kites so I tried to do a slow, slow, slow riding sesh on the HF. Right foot forward for some reason I was just fine, I could go kite high and manage the huge swells and chop. But it got fking absolutely insane left foot forward. I ended up multiple times trying to get back to home base having to go slightly downwind where the kite was 10 ft above the water and I was in a death ride going easily 30mph+ praying to God to let me somehow get the kite higher up. Being that lit up on a HF just doesn't let you move the kite up, it just won't budge not to mention all my focus was on the swells I was exiting out of every 3 seconds. Most intense kiting I've ever done and I will never ride a kite that large in 20mph winds ever again. Glad I tried it and tasted the insanity once without getting hurt.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:44 am

lovethepirk wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:47 pm
Had a crazy ride this weekend on the 14m...17-22mph.

Snip...

17-22 mph is 14.8 - 19 knots :thumb:

Just to clarify to something everyone on a worldwide forum can understand and relate to, so not only for a few local US users :wink:

You did not write your weight though, which is the most important factor regarding how powered you were ?

But yes, you can ride a hydrofoil up to about the same winds as other boards, which gives them a huge "survival" wind range that is unheard of when talking all other board types, awesome :naughty:

8) PF

PS: We are about to go out now here, it blows thirtythousandthreehundredandthree yph (30303), which kitesize for an average weight ? :naughty:

30303 yards per hour = 14.8 knots or 7.7 m/s

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m

Postby TomW » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:59 pm

Ok, I thought it wasn't realistic. I was out on my 12 mono and one of the few other foilers in my area was out on his 11 Sonic 2 ( I think it was Sonic 2). He had about same power as I did, but wind was falling.
I'm still really happy with the Mono, I've not had them fall out of the sky ever. Seems if I can launch it and fly it, it will get me going.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Pedro Marcos » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:15 am

lovethepirk wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:47 pm
Had a crazy ride this weekend on the 14m...17-22mph. I wanted to TT, but I really wanted to foil as well and I was not in the mood to blow up multiple kites so I tried to do a slow, slow, slow riding sesh on the HF. Right foot forward for some reason I was just fine, I could go kite high and manage the huge swells and chop. But it got fking absolutely insane left foot forward. I ended up multiple times trying to get back to home base having to go slightly downwind where the kite was 10 ft above the water and I was in a death ride going easily 30mph+ praying to God to let me somehow get the kite higher up. Being that lit up on a HF just doesn't let you move the kite up, it just won't budge not to mention all my focus was on the swells I was exiting out of every 3 seconds. Most intense kiting I've ever done and I will never ride a kite that large in 20mph winds ever again. Glad I tried it and tasted the insanity once without getting hurt.
Were you on a race foil or a freeride/wave wing? I found out that using a race foil you can hold alot more wind while being confortable, it just gets scary fast going downwind :)

lovethepirk
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Hydrofoiling for the summer!
Gear: 16m NRG, 14m NRG, 12m Switchblade, 10m NRG, 145x43 Tronic, 160x41 Glide, Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board

Postby lovethepirk » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:03 am

I was on a Delta race foil and it must have been 19knots b/c we rode in 16knots today and I wasn't close to being overpowered. I'm 205 lbs/ 93 kg trying to get back to 190 lol. I learned something today though. On my tacks back downwind I was trying to cheat the direction that doesn't allow you the best downshore tack by going more downwind on that tack than I should and as I tried to come out of that crazy downwind angle I just kept speeding up. I kept the kite high today and was able to control both tacks by using common sense and not overplaying my angles.

It's weird when you are 2 miles upwind and are wanting to go back to home base and one particular tack only gets you a few hundred meters closer, but then you tack and all the sudden you are home. It's a little goofy learning that one tack may not get you closer, but the next one gets you there completely. Coming from the TT it's really weird navigating the downwind part of the equation.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hollywood Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Aruba Boca Grandi
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Firewire surfboards Vader and Vanguard
LP and Slingshot Hydrofoil
Ozone Enduro, Reo, Chrono 2
Naish Pivot
BRM Cloud

Postby airsurfer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:42 am

I can't say much regarding 14 or 17m LEI because the largest LEI kite I foil with is a 12m (had a Enduro 14M and cloud 17M and both weren't ideal for foiling IMO) Regarding high aspect vs low aspect wings I've been riding the Takuma in 20 to 30 mph lately and I actually find it easier to manage than my faster foils because you don't build the crazy apparent wind as with fast high aspect foils. Offcourse I'm also using small wave kites with massive depower but to me the concept is the same faster foils are much less comfortable when lit especially if it's gusty

BOEMIX
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: chrono v2 15m & 9m, Catalyst 7m, enduro 10m, edge 13m, access 6m
Boards: North Wam 5,10, Naish Bullet 5,4, Shinn Ronson 138x42, King Gee 150x50 and Ketos Foil freeride2

Postby BOEMIX » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:31 pm

Wlhat's going wrong with the Enduro 14 when foiling?

I'm thinking to replace my Ozone Edge 13 for the Enduro 14, cause I love my Enduro 10, and I want to have a kite to practise kiteloops in light winds but before doing that I want to know if I will give up a lot of hydrofoil hability whit that movement.

I'm sure if I do I will lose hangtime, speed and upwind, for stability, gust handling and turning speed, but I will lose semething else?

Return to “Hydrofoil”