Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What was your approach to learning tacks?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Boosting lit up and overpowered
Gear: 16m NRG, 14m NRG, 12m Switchblade, 10m NRG, 145x43 Tronic, 160x41 Glide, Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What was your approach to learning tacks?

Postby lovethepirk » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:12 pm

Thanks for the links...I've seen gunnar's video before, but didn't know he was also on the forums...cool. I watched a few of his videos last month, one where he was unhappy with the 13m jumps hahahaha.

Technical question....should the kite be approaching 12 or passing 12 when you carve hard? In Gunnar's video he states he prefers the kite to be at 11 or 1, but I don't know if that means start the carve wit the kite not yet pasts 12 or past 12?

After looking at some of these videos, it almost seems most of the work is done with the kite PAST 12, but maybe the carve starts right at 12? I'd also be curious what side of the window you'd prefer mis-timing on if you do mis-time it on occasion?

Thanks.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Ozone, Axis, Moses, Zeeko, Firewire, SBS
Brand Affiliation: Foiling Basics, The Boardroom Fuerteventura, Ozone, Axiskiteboarding,Schwerelosigkite, Triggernaut,

Postby gmb13 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:02 pm

I mean start the carve just before the kite reaches 12. So when the kite is at 11 or 1 you start carving into the wind. When the kite passes 12 your board should be past 90 Deg into the wind already.

--
Gunnar

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Boosting lit up and overpowered
Gear: 16m NRG, 14m NRG, 12m Switchblade, 10m NRG, 145x43 Tronic, 160x41 Glide, Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby lovethepirk » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:35 am

gmb13 wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:02 pm
I mean start the carve just before the kite reaches 12. So when the kite is at 11 or 1 you start carving into the wind. When the kite passes 12 your board should be past 90 Deg into the wind already.

--
Gunnar

Gunnar,

Thanks, it's really hard to see in all the videos where the kite is just prior to the move in part due to the kite lines looking possibly more going the opposite direction of travel. I've been initiating the move recently like you stated just from feels.

I am making the mistake you stated in your video of moving my feet too early. My next try I am not going to try and transition, but just ride the board as long as I can during the carve and see what feels I get from it. Your video of the failed attempt by means of moving the feet too early is where I am at now on my best attempts. Other attempts are probably comical, I've done a few double backrolls without the board going too fast and reckless as I couldn't get the board to flatten out after the hard carve. I also like your advice on keeping speed, my only shin strikes have been doing tentative slow jibes staring down at the board and watching the carnage unfold beneath me. :o

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Ozone, Axis, Moses, Zeeko, Firewire, SBS
Brand Affiliation: Foiling Basics, The Boardroom Fuerteventura, Ozone, Axiskiteboarding,Schwerelosigkite, Triggernaut,

Postby gmb13 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:34 am

phpBB [video]

Maybe its easier to see here?

--
Gunnar

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:56 pm

Check out this video as well...Johnny does a nice clean tack at about :21

phpBB [video]

Return to “Hydrofoil”