A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Windsurf Foiling to Rival Kite Foiling?

Postby NYKiter » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:12 am

Im hearing rumblings of some former windsurfers, turned kiters, considering a return to windsurfing with foils as the sail power ratio is much greater than the kite....or so it was explained...and a safer water entry......any thoughts? Here is a guy windsurf foiling in 50knots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYadHfkHLtU

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Windsurf Foiling to Rival Kite Foiling?

Postby Dwight » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:35 am

I'm a windsurfer turned Kiter, who got board with kiting and started windsurfing again. I also Foil windsurfed all of 2016. Now I kite foil and fell in love with kiting thanks to foils. Kite foiling is way more fun than windsurf foiling. It is also much higher performance.

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:08 am

We are fielding a lot more windfoil inquiries than kitefoil relative to the start of both becoming the new thing.
What is similar is the main age group of interest is the over 55's seeing as a way of extending their on water life as joints feel the age.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:40 am

I can see ultralightwind windfoiling being a thing. If you drop a kite in very light winds then it's game over. You swim in. With a sailboard you have a floaty platform you can stand on and uphaul and bob in on.

The Naish Hover board sounds like you could use it as a SUP surf, SUP surf foil, and windfoil board all in one.

If you go for a foil kite for light winds then you have the added expense of a foil kite and an even greater risk of swimming in.

It's hard to tell how windfoiling will go in the windsurf world. The posts in the various windsurf and SUP forums are still saying the same stupid things that kiters said about foiling 2-3 years ago. They have the advantage of seeing kiters out having loads of fun on foils in all conditions.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:36 pm

Dwight, how does the low end compare? With my wind and shoreline conditions, going out and dropping a kite and swimming in is not really what I want to be doing. Does the windfoil need more wind to get going? There are some days when I don't kite when the lulls are too bad, but bobbing through them on a windfoil would be much easier.

Thx,
Peter

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:06 pm

Dwight wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:35 am
I'm a windsurfer turned Kiter, who got board with kiting and started windsurfing again. I also Foil windsurfed all of 2016. Now I kite foil and fell in love with kiting thanks to foils. Kite foiling is way more fun than windsurf foiling. It is also much higher performance.
This is good info thanks Dwight, it gives me something to think about. I was thinking of getting into windfoiling as kitefoiling isn't a viable option at my current location in the summer due to beach access restrictions for kiters.

borist
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby borist » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:22 pm

From my local observation:
Indeed in lully wind having ability to wait out for wind to return, WS foil looks like a winner. I was told they have an excellent chance to return to upwind launch even in winds too light to foil (noticeably better that with 70cm ws fin). That would make WS foil great for lake locations with bad water edge access and fluky winds.
On the low end side, kitefoil seemed to have upper hand by a margin. This could get closer as WS foilers get better, but at this time we can kite in winds they do not bother to come out.
I'm very curious about WS foil myself, but not enough to invest in it. Perhaps one of my WS buddies will let me borrow his to learn on :).

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko foil
GK Trix
Enduro9
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Postby bragnouff » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:52 pm

borist wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:22 pm
(...)
On the low end side, kitefoil seemed to have upper hand by a margin. This could get closer as WS foilers get better, but at this time we can kite in winds they do not bother to come out.
I'm very curious about WS foil myself, but not enough to invest in it. Perhaps one of my WS buddies will let me borrow his to learn on :).
So far from what I've seen, when kitefoils start to zoom along nicely on 9m LEI, windfoilers still use BIG slalom rigs. Not sure what is the threshold for them to be able to use a nimble 5.3, but it's not 10kts...

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Postby edt » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:21 pm

windsurfing is never gonna come back the way it was in the past. Where windsurfing will survive is in special cases, like yeah some kind of foiling, and nuking days with huge wavos.

To be certain kites will always be able to go out in lower wind than a windsurfer will. Just a fact of life. A lot of times, there will be zero. Zero absolutely nothing. Nothing right near near the surface you know where the windsurfing wing is. And then 20 meters up you'll have 10-15 knots. So kiters will be able hot launch with a running start and if they can get their kite in the air at all, they will be foiling. Windsurfers will be stuck on the beach.

Just like always. Those who are decidated windsurfers have about 1/4 the amount of riding time as a kiter does at the same low wind spot. Naturally kiters do a lot more swimming. But swimming is such great exercise!

What you want as a windsurfer is the ability to go out on a kite when conditions dictate and to switch back to a windsurfer when it's more fun that day on a windsurfer. It's not a replacement thing, windsurfing is just something a waterman will do for a change of pace but it will never begin to encroach on the popularity of kiting with a foil or without one.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:28 pm

I am doing both.

But hey, wait a minute, I DID both, it has been a long time since out windfoiling :roll:

Why ?

Several things:

Windfoil takes up a lot of space in or on your car :-?

It is a lot more timeconsuming getting in and out, as you have to swim a while both ways - where we can just boarddrag out with our kitehydrofoils, till deep - not possible with a windfoil.
With my 5.8 freestyle sail I need somewhat more wind, maybe 6-7 m/s (12-14 knots) or more - and I dont wanna get bigger sails. Those having big sails apparently still need just about 10 knots to go, the best can maybe start in 9, where a kitefoil can go in 7-8 knots even with a 12 m2 "balloon" kite as I call non foil kites, and lower with marginal wind gear :wink:

I experience the same thing as back when windsurfing - that if the wind is just a tad too light, all you can do is make helitacks and wait for wind, you just dont have a chance getting planing/foiling - whereas with a kitefoil you can still foil when the wind drops, a huge difference that I really appreciate.

I find the kitefoil much more agile in terms of carving and fun - but it might just be because I am not that good at windfoil yet, I know, but still, way less swing weight so you should be able to turn much faster :naughty:

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”