Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Back footstrap position

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos, Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Gear: Cabrinha, Liquid force, Moses hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Back footstrap position

Postby abel » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:59 am

There was a thread about this topic, but I would like to pinpoint the question:
I keep hitting the chop too much, so I'm wondering if the pitch control would be faster by moving the rear strap backwards.
I'm reluctant to do so as I'm quite happy about the current position while doing a test might take weeks waiting for the same conditions.
Conditions: Moses Silente, 560HP wing, T40 board, wind cross on shore, gusty 7-12 knots (~10.5 avrg.),sea 3-4 ft. choppy, rider weight 78kg.
If you have a Silente, the T40 has four posible back strap positions, 1= most forward; 4= last rear (which one you use?)
If you're using a foot hooker please please specify.

What is your preferred back strap position for freeriding?

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Re: Back footstrap position

Postby Pedro Marcos » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:19 am

Ive more or less the same setup you have, currently using the Vorace 2017 (558+330) and i still did not solve the backstrap dilema.

Ive lots of hours without footstrap where i always had my feet in the middle of the screws or even more forward, so all the positions ive for the back strap are much further back then what im used to have.

I use the back strap in the most forward position (1) and the front strap on position 3 and its being really hard to get used to it, i only feel more or less comfortable when pushing hard upwind.

Im getting this have alot to do with muscle memory and i need more time reajusting my balance.

Regarding the pitch control, i believe it will be harder if you move it more backwards, at least it is for me. The narrower the stance i have the more pitch control i get.

Regards

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:34 am

Yes. You'll adapt then you'll wonder why you waited so long.

I hate not having positive response to back foot pressure, and having to rely on "raising" the front foot to raise the nose. And I like wide stance, so take it for what it's worth...

phlow
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Texas City Levee, Texas City Dike, El Jardin, Galveston
Gear: North Rebels, Nobile NHP, Jimmy Lewis Surf and SUP, Slingshot Alien Air, Lift NF2 Foil

Postby phlow » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:21 pm

In terms of being able to handle varying conditions, chop, glass over powered / under powered I sincerely beleive that the best position for the rear strap is on the shelf in your garage. (seriously, not joking). you will quickly learn how to adjust weight to compensate for different conditions.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Pedro Marcos » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:28 pm

phlow wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:21 pm
In terms of being able to handle varying conditions, chop, glass over powered / under powered I sincerely beleive that the best position for the rear strap is on the shelf in your garage. (seriously, not joking). you will quickly learn how to adjust weight to compensate for different conditions.
But then you cannot jump or do anything related.

Return to “Hydrofoil”